Odessa

We just walked around Odessa on our own.

It's a lovely place with very nice buildings. We found an excellent flower market and there were stalls set up outside selling souvenirs.

At the top of the steps (forget the name) there is a really nice walk with a Palace? or very large building if you turn right. Or around the town if you go left.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself whatever you do.

Thanks for your help happy v,we have found a tour we will try.Altiva don't go into your own cruise go into Thomson website and look at ports their are eight under Odessa.

Thanks, toon. I did use their website but looked under the "extra-tours" and they said "no experience", then used "search the all web site" and again found nothing. Now, I see them all.

They don't have any, .

They are showing eight on their web site..

You just couldn't make this up, could you !

Reminds me of the Little Britain Sketch "Computer says NO".....

ha ha

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is the best. GO LYNN

You just couldn't make this up, could you !

Reminds me of the Little Britain Sketch "Computer says NO".....

ha ha

Thanks for your observation Knickers but they were not really any help

• 1 month later...
hi Toon, did you use any of the Thomson tours already? If yes, can you come back and talk about your experience, please?

Hi altiva don't go on Spirit till 10th Aug, but have booked Thomson tour in Odessa.Have read a lot of good reports about Odessa on Spirit Facebook site.

Hi Toon

I'm just back from the Spirit and we were in Odessa 10 days ago - I didn't do an excursion but those that did gave pretty good feedback.

I decided to try and DIY, as I often do, and it was easy to do - the port is right at the bottom of the Potemkin Steps and once you reach the top of those you're right in the old town. There were some mini trains and small open sided vehicles at the top of the steps offering tours, but if you're okay on your feet its very much walkable with the map from Destination Services.

I didn't know what to expect from Odessa but it was a revelation - absolutely beautiful Georgian style buildings, and the cathedral is beautiful. Plenty of shops and cafes to visit and the prices are VERY cheap - you can change currency in the port building but be warned, they will only exchange Euros or US dollars, not sterling. There are ATMs as soon as you get into town if you'd rather do things that way, I also suspect some shops would take euros.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your day there!

Hi Toon

I'm just back from the Spirit and we were in Odessa 10 days ago - I didn't do an excursion but those that did gave pretty good feedback.

I decided to try and DIY, as I often do, and it was easy to do - the port is right at the bottom of the Potemkin Steps and once you reach the top of those you're right in the old town. There were some mini trains and small open sided vehicles at the top of the steps offering tours, but if you're okay on your feet its very much walkable with the map from Destination Services.

I didn't know what to expect from Odessa but it was a revelation - absolutely beautiful Georgian style buildings, and the cathedral is beautiful. Plenty of shops and cafes to visit and the prices are VERY cheap - you can change currency in the port building but be warned, they will only exchange Euros or US dollars, not sterling. There are ATMs as soon as you get into town if you'd rather do things that way, I also suspect some shops would take euros.

Hi crystaltips99 thanks for all the info,it sounds like a great place and we are really looking forward to it.

Hi Toon

Hope this helps, and enjoy your day there!

many thanks for this... helps a lot:cool::cool: cheers, we will be calling at odessa soon

• 3 weeks later...