Haven on The Jewel Questions

UFLaw

We are staying in the Haven 2 bedroom for the upcoming May 23 trip to Alaska on the Jewel and have a few questions.

1) Is Breakfast served in The Haven itself? I saw in a picture that breakfast items were out in an area. Not sure if accurate. I did read that we can have breakfast in either Moderno or brought to our suite. How early can we have breakfast?

2) How does the disembarking in ports work with the concierge? None of our stops are tender ports.

3) We have the UDP and UBP, from what I understand we can have dinner in our room from any specialty restaurant. What I was wondering is can we get drinks as well? Or would we need to order from the Haven attendant in order to utilize the UBP?

4) (Non Haven Question) Is it worth the $15 per bottle fee to bring our own wine? Not sure of the quality/expense of bottles of wine on board.

Thank you to everyone.

Cheers,

Eric

We were in 2 bedroom haven last year, 1 week later, though. We would fill out breakfast room service card on early port days. You can let the conceirge know when you want off the ship at ports, he will tell you the rest. Let your butler know about afternoon snacks, like won't need them that day or will want something hearty/light. Breakfast, last year, was in moderno. However you could sit in the Haven area, pool area, and order also. Enjoy!

Don't worry about the concierge for getting off the ship just walk off yourself. Unless you have a tour you're trying to catch something at exactly 7 a.m. we never saw the need to use his services in Alaska. And in fact tried to make it special to get off in Victoria and we ended up all bunched up in a back stairwell on the ship because of the way that they were holding us. And I'm not exactly sure that we got off and he sooner than had we just got off our self :-)

And from what I understand there will be some sort of snacks inside the Haven in the morning but the buffet is also two floors down so we just plan to go grab a few quick things that we like and bring it right back up to the room and or heaven but yes you can also fill up the room service card and have it delivered in the morning too :-)

We were just in the Jewel Haven a few weeks ago (marvelous). Here are some answers to your questions:

1. You can have breakfast (and lunch, too) in the Haven area by the pool. There are 2, 4-top tables and several 2-top tables. The Haven attendant will take your order and bring you all you need. Same holds true for lunch. The menu is the same as offered in Moderno. There are also snacks provided in the area throughout the day.

2. With the concierge, he (Hanno was ours and he was great) meets you in Moderno and takes you down the service elevator to the ship's exit. On days when you are at a pier, it really isn't necessary as you can simply walk off, but in tender ports, this is a great time saver.

You can look at the fleet-wide wine list from the NCL web site. Go to get ready to cruise tab then to the gifts and more tab. The wines in general are not bad and the pricing is similar or less than in a restaurant. If you like either cheaper or more expensive wines the corkage may make sense. We like $4 Asti Spumanti to mix in OJ for Mimosas. I think the cheapest sparkling wine on board is $35 and is Brut instead of sweet like the cheap wine. We also like more expensive wine like Jordan for example. This is listed at $99 and no vintage is mentioned. I think we could get the recent year we want for more like $60 or maybe less. For the middle of the road wines I wouldn't bother to bring on as many are $10 wines provided at about $30. Saving $5 a bottle isn't worth it to me.

BayouDoc

Thank you for that info. We have a great local wine shop that usually gives us amazing deals. We usually drink $40-75 wine (they sell for $20-40) so would definitely make sense to have our own faves.

Is there a maximum amount you can bring on?

Cheers,

Eric

Thank you all.

Does anyone know who the concierge, butler and haven attendant may be and any input on how they were?

Cheers.

From earlier this month on the Jewel ...

Hanno was our Concierge. Big German guy who really knows his stuff. He was always available and very on top of things. The best Concierge we have ever had. The kids loved him and actually coined the phrase "Hanno knows everything" by the end of the cruise!

Our butler was Rodney. Very warm, personable and accommodating. I think there are 2 butlers in the Haven - 1 for each side.

The Haven attendant was Jon. He did a great job making sure the Haven was fully stocked and always asked us if he could get anything for us.

Overall, it was probably the best staff experience we've had on a cruise.

From earlier this month on the Jewel ...

Hanno was our Concierge. Big German guy who really knows his stuff. He was always available and very on top of things. The best Concierge we have ever had. The kids loved him and actually coined the phrase "Hanno knows everything" by the end of the cruise!

Our butler was Rodney. Very warm, personable and accommodating. I think there are 2 butlers in the Haven - 1 for each side.

The Haven attendant was Jon. He did a great job making sure the Haven was fully stocked and always asked us if he could get anything for us.

Overall, it was probably the best staff experience we've had on a cruise.

We just enjoyed Hanno so much. He is very warm and very professional.

My niece lost her cell phone on the ship and he worked his magic and got it to us in Dallas. Eternally grateful.

Does anyone happen to have any pictures or input on the upper Haven deck area? I was wondering what kind of view we have up there and if we would likely spend time up there vs our balcony in our cabin.

I am thinking a much more open view, however, not exactly the warmest place to be to view the wildlife and scenery. However, if it is worth it, would we want to get some extra blankets and camp out?

Thanks!

We used the upper deck last year for Alaska, it was deserted! We stayed up there for quit some time during the glacier part, it was us and 1 other. We would run down warm up and have a drink in cabin, then run back up. It is windy and cold, obviously no shelter from the elements, but it's alaska, bring extra camera batteries and memory disks.

For me, it is worth the carrying on of wine. We have (2) six pk bottle roller bags we pack with wines and use them for our overnight bag on out last night before disembarkation. Their wine list does not appeal to me for lower and mid price range of cabernets. In fact, it's a small selection.

Neither the UDP nor the UBP can be used for in-room service.

That was not the case on our recent Gem cruise. We just called our butler and made our order. He knew we had the UDP and UBP. We were never charged.

Does anyone happen to have any pictures or input on the upper Haven deck area? I was wondering what kind of view we have up there and if we would likely spend time up there vs our balcony in our cabin.

I am thinking a much more open view, however, not exactly the warmest place to be to view the wildlife and scenery. However, if it is worth it, would we want to get some extra blankets and camp out?

Thanks!

The upper deck of the Haven area is divided into 2 parts - one is accessible just to Haven guests and the other is open to the public, but called out as an "adult" area (not "freestyle" adult).

The private Haven sundeck is over the cabins on the port side of the ship (cabins 14500-14514). The deck plans on NCL are wrong for deck 15. Only half of the area is a private sundeck. It is accessible via the stairs in the Haven courtyard below, or a keycard access gate from the Deck 14 outside public area of the ship.

The Haven sundeck has lots of comfortable seating and is very rarely used. The view up there is fantastic. The seating is set out by the Haven attendant and may be locked up if it is too windy.

It would be a great place to see the scenery ... and enjoy a relatively private space.

The upper deck of the Haven area is divided into 2 parts - one is accessible just to Haven guests and the other is open to the public, but called out as an "adult" area (not "freestyle" adult).

The private Haven sundeck is over the cabins on the port side of the ship (cabins 14500-14514). The deck plans on NCL are wrong for deck 15. Only half of the area is a private sundeck. It is accessible via the stairs in the Haven courtyard below, or a keycard access gate from the Deck 14 outside public area of the ship.

The Haven sundeck has lots of comfortable seating and is very rarely used. The view up there is fantastic. The seating is set out by the Haven attendant and may be locked up if it is too windy.

It would be a great place to see the scenery ... and enjoy a relatively private space.

OK, I could be wrong but at one time the entire deck 15 sundeck on the Jewel was only for Haven guests (unless I'm thinking of the Jade). Also, unless it's been changed the Jewel is also the only ship that has a lounge up the stairs where the Deluxe Owner's Suites are on other ships. There are large windows in there that look forward, so might be another area for watching the scenery.

OK, I could be wrong but at one time the entire deck 15 sundeck on the Jewel was only for Haven guests (unless I'm thinking of the Jade). Also, unless it's been changed the Jewel is also the only ship that has a lounge up the stairs where the Deluxe Owner's Suites are on other ships. There are large windows in there that look forward, so might be another area for watching the scenery.

The Concierge Lounge is now gone in the Jewel. It was eliminated during the most recent dry dock in hopes of being converted to another owner's suite, but they ran out of time. Thus, it stands empty and is not accessible (if you try to open the access door from the main Haven level, an alarm will sound).

Thanks!

If someone could tell me how to add them, I have photos that I can post this evening.

We were in a 2-bedroom Haven suite in late February. We ordered breakfast in the Haven each morning. Jon is awesome! To this day - I miss his "copy that" and "happy that". Used the concierge (Florentina in our case) once for debarkation - worked fine down through the crew areas. Enjoy!