How do I go finding out that the price of my cabin has been reduced?

susan1234

I booked with Cunard (a mistake, not ever again) and was told that unlike other travel agencies, Cunard does not automatically adjust the price should it become lower after the booking. One will have to call often to see if indeed there is a change in price. Our sailing is in four days, and I called Cunard concerning this and was told no, there has not been a price reduction. From my past dealings with Cunard, I am skeptical about this info and would like to find out for sure myself. I do not know where to start and am hoping that some of you gurus here could kindly point me the way.

Thanks in advance.

Su

I booked with Cunard (a mistake, not ever again) and was told that unlike other travel agencies, Cunard does not automatically adjust the price should it become lower after the booking. One will have to call often to see if indeed there is a change in price. Our sailing is in four days, and I called Cunard concerning this and was told no, there has not been a price reduction. From my past dealings with Cunard, I am skeptical about this info and would like to find out for sure myself. I do not know where to start and am hoping that some of you gurus here could kindly point me the way.

Thanks in advance.

Su

:( My travel agent must be one of the few to not pass on savings to its clients! I read of a reduction on this site, called my TA who told me that their clients have to notify them of any reductions! I think that the TA hears of the reduction and lowers the amount they pay to Cunard and doesn't necessarily pass on the savings, but pockets it themselves!

Why not call a TA and see what price they quote to you?

:( My travel agent must be one of the few to not pass on savings to its clients! I read of a reduction on this site, called my TA who told me that their clients have to notify them of any reductions! I think that the TA hears of the reduction and lowers the amount they pay to Cunard and doesn't necessarily pass on the savings, but pockets it themselves!

Why not call a TA and see what price they quote to you?

Wow here in the UK as far as I am aware, you do not get a refund if the price of your holiday has come down. The fares for some of trips that we are about to do have come down considerably, but if we ask about a reduction we get told that you have to pay the fare that was on offer at the time of booking. Of course if I had of wanted to take a gamble on getting the same cabin for all 3 trips now I probably could have got quite a bargain. As it is I'm not a gambling person and I've probably paid over the odds for the priveledge of not having to move cabins!!!!!!

Elaine

Wow here in the UK as far as I am aware, you do not get a refund if the price of your holiday has come down. The fares for some of trips that we are about to do have come down considerably, but if we ask about a reduction we get told that you have to pay the fare that was on offer at the time of booking. Of course if I had of wanted to take a gamble on getting the same cabin for all 3 trips now I probably could have got quite a bargain. As it is I'm not a gambling person and I've probably paid over the odds for the priveledge of not having to move cabins!!!!!!

Elaine

:confused: I was told that the way it works with Cunard in the U.S. is that they don't consider your reservation as a confirmed reservation until they receive the final payment. I think that 's because up to that point you can cancel and receive a partial refund. The final payment was due on 9/9 for the 12/8 departure. I don't even want to know if it's been offered for less after my final payment was made.

I'm a novice at this stuff, but my understanding is that few cruise lines offer lowest price guarantee. Crystal is one that does. Especially after full payment. But my philosophy is this: if I was happy to make the reservation at X price, I'm always happy with it, no matter if the price was reduced. As Elaine says, it's always a gamble. I'm doing the QM2 in 4 weeks. The price was dropped about $50 per person, I asked Cunard if I could get a credit, was told no, and I'm still as happy as when I booked at the slightly higher price. Except the trip won't come fast enough!

Bill

I'm a novice at this stuff, but my understanding is that few cruise lines offer lowest price guarantee. Crystal is one that does. Especially after full payment. But my philosophy is this: if I was happy to make the reservation at X price, I'm always happy with it, no matter if the price was reduced. As Elaine says, it's always a gamble. I'm doing the QM2 in 4 weeks. The price was dropped about $50 per person, I asked Cunard if I could get a credit, was told no, and I'm still as happy as when I booked at the slightly higher price. Except the trip won't come fast enough!

Bill

I think that everyone would feel fine with a $50 drop in cost; however, the drop in cost was $419.77 for each of us! :D Thanks to this site I was alerted and was able to take advantage of the reduced price! I'm glad that we were able to contact the TA and receive their check for the refundable difference!

I think that everyone would feel fine with a $50 drop in cost; however, the drop in cost was $419.77 for each of us! :D Thanks to this site I was alerted and was able to take advantage of the reduced price! I'm glad that we were able to contact the TA and receive their check for the refundable difference!

Wow you are so lucky. It definately does not work like that here in the UK. Our transatlantic crossings are a lot cheaper now, but there is no way we will be seeing any refund!! Maybe it's my fault. Maybe we would have been offered an upgrade if I'd of opted to go on the upgrade list. But I am pretty fussy about where I go position wise on the ship. I personally do not think that an upgrade from a B4 to a B1 say (don't think they would upgrade to a junior suite from a B4), is an upgrade. I don't want to be up on deck 11/12!! If it is really windy then I have found that the higher you are the more movement there is!! It doesn't matter now anyway, off in two days time so paid final balance a while ago!! Just going to have a great time and not worry about how much my fellow passengers have paid for their trip!! I am going to unwind not to get wound up any futher!!

Elaine

hi i found that here in the uk no price reductions are offered. I booked our holiday over 18 month ago the 2005 brouchure was'nt even in the shops, i initally booked a B1 room but earlier this year i decided to upgrade to a PG cabin and was told that i would have to pay the price of the PG cabin which was listed when i made the original booking, this worked out a few hundered pounds more that that at the time of the upgrade. I still decided to pay but was a little narked.

But then again we are british in a country were if the elderly dont pay local taxes they get sent to jail......makes me think robin hood!!

I'm sure the trip will still be worth the cost though, and having never been on a boat before (i think park lakes dont count) i hope i'm not sea sick.

Wow you are so lucky. It definately does not work like that here in the UK. Our transatlantic crossings are a lot cheaper now, but there is no way we will be seeing any refund!! Maybe it's my fault. Maybe we would have been offered an upgrade if I'd of opted to go on the upgrade list. But I am pretty fussy about where I go position wise on the ship. I personally do not think that an upgrade from a B4 to a B1 say (don't think they would upgrade to a junior suite from a B4), is an upgrade. I don't want to be up on deck 11/12!! If it is really windy then I have found that the higher you are the more movement there is!! It doesn't matter now anyway, off in two days time so paid final balance a while ago!! Just going to have a great time and not worry about how much my fellow passengers have paid for their trip!! I am going to unwind not to get wound up any futher!!

Elaine

I agree. I don't want to have someone on the ship tell me that they paid a lot less than I! It's so rude to mention the $$ when you're on the ship. The $$ we saved will pay for our two nights in NYC and a dinner. It's so expensive in NYC! We'll be on the 11th deck on the Caribbean 12/8 cruise. We want to experience the ship on a high deck. We were in the bowels of the QE2 on a transatlantic crossing. We'll take a stash of medications for rough seas. We hope that the hurricane season will be long gone! We agree that we too don't want an upgrade to a different location. I noticed that the PG location is on a lower deck.

Have fun on your trip! How many days will you be on the ship? We usually vacation in Europe, so 12 days on a ship is very long for us.

I agree. I don't want to have someone on the ship tell me that they paid a lot less than I! It's so rude to mention the $$ when you're on the ship. The $$ we saved will pay for our two nights in NYC and a dinner. It's so expensive in NYC! We'll be on the 11th deck on the Caribbean 12/8 cruise. We want to experience the ship on a high deck. We were in the bowels of the QE2 on a transatlantic crossing. We'll take a stash of medications for rough seas. We hope that the hurricane season will be long gone! We agree that we too don't want an upgrade to a different location. I noticed that the PG location is on a lower deck.

Have fun on your trip! How many days will you be on the ship? We usually vacation in Europe, so 12 days on a ship is very long for us.

dtwtraveler

First of all I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying that I wouldn't want to be high up on the ship!! This is just my own personal views on my own comfort whilst on board. Of course you will have to let me know if it does move around more than the lower decks when you return. Of course the caribbean sea should be slightly calmer than the atlantic though I would think!!!

We are on QM2 for a total of 24 nights!! I reckon that I should take some handcuffs so that I can chackle myself to the railings when it comes to getting off. I am hoping I won't want to get off. Of course going for that many nights does have it's downside. I have just made a note of all our luggage and we have 16 pieces between the 4 of us!!!!!!

Enjoy your trip in December. We are off to the caribbean in December (for xmas) on a british liner (P & O Oriana)!! Can't think of anywhere better to spend xmas and new year!!

Elaine

dtwtraveler

First of all I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying that I wouldn't want to be high up on the ship!! This is just my own personal views on my own comfort whilst on board. Of course you will have to let me know if it does move around more than the lower decks when you return. Of course the caribbean sea should be slightly calmer than the atlantic though I would think!!!

We are on QM2 for a total of 24 nights!! I reckon that I should take some handcuffs so that I can chackle myself to the railings when it comes to getting off. I am hoping I won't want to get off. Of course going for that many nights does have it's downside. I have just made a note of all our luggage and we have 16 pieces between the 4 of us!!!!!!

Enjoy your trip in December. We are off to the caribbean in December (for xmas) on a british liner (P & O Oriana)!! Can't think of anywhere better to spend xmas and new year!!

Elaine

I can't remember if you said that this is your first trip on an American ship. I wonder how the British and American lines differ from each other. I'm sure that it's more than just the "bangers and mash", eh? I'm amazed that your children are so willing to spend so many nights with their parents on a ship - away from their friends, etc.! Is the first long vacation for the four of you together in recent years?

I'll let you know if we are comfortable way up on the 11th deck! Have fun!

I can't remember if you said that this is your first trip on an American ship. I wonder how the British and American lines differ from each other. I'm sure that it's more than just the "bangers and mash", eh? I'm amazed that your children are so willing to spend so many nights with their parents on a ship - away from their friends, etc.! Is the first long vacation for the four of you together in recent years?

I'll let you know if we are comfortable way up on the 11th deck! Have fun!

dtwtraveler

Not sure if QM2 is American or british!!! I would like to think it was mixture of both. We do cruise regularly though with a british company normally (P & O). Our children have grown up cruising. We have cruised now since my youngest (19) was 4, so to be honest they know what to expect. Both had land based holidays this year in Europe and both came back and said that it wasn't like their "normal" holidays. Also we cruise twice a year. We go away at xmas too and again because I don't fly it tends to be a 22/23 nighter down to the caribbean. We get back on the 14th Oct and we are then off on the Oriana for 22 nights on the 17th Dec. Of course on the christmas cruise the kids will bump into youngsters that regularly like them do the Xmas cruise. The kids are coming on the QM2 because it is the only way as a family of 4 we shall be able to see the US and Canada together.

Elaine

Elaine,

If you are still there....I just figured out that you are disembarking from the QM2 on the day we embark! Not significant to world peace, but I just realized that. So, warm up the ship for us, because I like it warm!

Bill

Archived