Diving Report with Pictures

Dabaras

I just got back from my B2B where diving was going to be a big part of it, but everything went wrong. I got on board the Dream on 4/19. While unpacking, I decided to put my underwater camera together. One strobe arm is missing. I didn't pack the single strobe cable, so it likes like I have no camera which is a no-go for me. With the little available time in port before we lose cell signal, I start looking for ikelite dealers in Grand Caymen. What do you know, Sunset House in an ikelite dealer and has an in-house photo shop. I guess Eden Rock is out, Sunset House is in. When we dock in Grand Cayman, I head straight over there and they don't have ikelite arms, but they have ultralight, so I'm back in business.

Edited by Dabaras

The next day is Cozumel, and I am set up with Aldora. Since I was by myself and the ship was getting there so late, I was scheduled to meet the early boat and do the second dive with them, then I would join an afternoon group to do their first dive for my second dive. Very convoluted sounding until I got to the dive shop, and four other people had booked from cruise ships in the last week, so they just sent out a late boat at 10:30 for five of us.

Turtle

7e887b865afdc1879b9011e3aa6ec853.jpg

Loggerhead

de5d4c7a89df9ffe778a6fc4720c7db8.jpg

Splendid Toadfish

ffff9a18e6e9a894da8a80cd0745a261.jpg

Parrothead

4137f5f6257dc9c4018805d9404640e7.jpg

Frenchies

82da30d4d16dd75fbd54dacba4a4a377.jpg

I get back to the cabin and rinse everything off. Pull the batteries off the strobes and charge them. When I go to clamp the batteries back in place, the latch snaps on one of them. No repair possible in the field. I'm just SOL now. Luckily in this case I had planned on doing the ship excursions in Roatan and Belize and hadn't booked them yet. I just sent a message to ikelite this morning to get a repair quote. I'm debating getting a spare battery now. Aldora was very good as usual and I highly recommend them. I wasn't as impressed with Sunset House. They have a great, well stocked, photo shop on site. They got a bit preachy with me when they found out I did a solo dive. I didn't think the sea life was as good as at Eden Rock anyhow.

Great photos! The colors of the Parrothead and Toadfish are so brilliant.

What camera did you use?

Are you using a color filter of any kind?

Great photos! The colors of the Parrothead and Toadfish are so brilliant.

What camera did you use?

Are you using a color filter of any kind?

Thank you. I use a Canon 20D dSLR in an ikelite housing with dual strobes. No filters. The color comes from the strobes. They are more important than the camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful photos! Unfortunately, the best laid plans go awry sometimes, especially for us underwater photographers. I check and recheck my cameras before leaving home and then wham! some unexpected little thing happens like your experiences. I always take a spare underwater camera but I also stick to point and shoot cameras. I've seen many thousand dollar setups get flooded for some of the most bizarre reasons especially now in the digital age when a flood means your camera is a useless paperweight. Back in the days of the manual Nikonos III cameras, even when I flooded mine, I was able to dry it out, have a technician clean it up and I was back in business. Nature of the game I suppose. Thanks again for the great photos!