Mystery of the vanishing wine offer on Serenade

We joined Serenade at New Orleans for her repositioning cruise last month and as soon as we got on board we checked the wine packages on offer at a special desk in the Centrum.

An offer of 25percent discount for seven bottles seemed ideal so we took a seat and waited for the early rush to subside. Big mistake. When we went up to choo place our order the list had mysteriously vanished.

Even worse, the staff member in charge denied it had ever existed! Amazingly, we found the folder in which the offer had been held but it had been

removed. We returned to the wine package desk but once again we were informed there had never been the wine offer we had read 30 minutes earlier.

We ended up paying over $40 dollars a bottle for our nightly tipple only to be told that Windjammers diners could purchase a litre for ten bucks!

We loved the cruise but RCI should get their act together as regards drinks packages.

We joined Serenade at New Orleans for her repositioning cruise last month and as soon as we got on board we checked the wine packages on offer at a special desk in the Centrum.

An offer of 25percent discount for seven bottles seemed ideal so we took a seat and waited for the early rush to subside. Big mistake. When we went up to choo place our order the list had mysteriously vanished.

Even worse, the staff member in charge denied it had ever existed! Amazingly, we found the folder in which the offer had been held but it had been

removed. We returned to the wine package desk but once again we were informed there had never been the wine offer we had read 30 minutes earlier.

We ended up paying over $40 dollars a bottle for our nightly tipple only to be told that Windjammers diners could purchase a litre for ten bucks!

We loved the cruise but RCI should get their act together as regards drinks packages.

Not believing the "liter for 10 bucks" that you were told, but it may just be, on the wine package that you saw, some old paperwork was put out by mistake. They seem to have done away with the old "Wine & Dine" packages offering discounted pricing for multi-bottle wine purchases in favor of the newer Select/Premium/Ultimate drink packages.

That said, I did have a table-mate on Serenade last month who asked our MDR waiter for a 5-bottle package, and it was no problem. So, maybe it's still available if you ask the right person.

Edited by Paul65

Just goes to show why it's better to be honest and admit the information was wrong or outdated or whatever than deny it existed.

Looking at my cruise planner, I do see the "Wine and Dine" package that talks about saving up to 25%. I don't know if that's the same deal.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royal/media/royal/shared_assets/pdf/menu/wine-dine.pdf

Edited by TBone2K

Not believing the "liter for 10 bucks" that you were told, but it may just be, on the wine package that you saw, some old paperwork was put out by mistake. They seem to have done away with the old "Wine & Dine" packages offering discounted pricing for multi-bottle wine purchases in favor of the newer Select/Premium/Ultimate drink packages.

That said, I did have a table-mate on Serenade last month who asked our MDR waiter for a 5-bottle package, and it was no problem. So, maybe it's still available if you ask the right person.

Hmmm - that would be interesting to hear as I received an email for RCCL yesterday saying there is absolutely no more wine/dine packages available.

Hmmm - that would be interesting to hear as I received an email for RCCL yesterday saying there is absolutely no more wine/dine packages available.

I thought they were discontinued, so I don't know if it was a local decision on that ship to offer it upon request, or maybe he just paid full price for 5 bottles of wine.

• 2 weeks later...

I can assure you that wine was indeed offered at 10 bucks a litre pitcher at both lunch and dinner in the Windjammer. Any one of the 1897 passengers could verify that fact.

We were also on that cruise and also had table mates who bought a five bottle wine package. Don't know the details on how it was purchased but they bought a second package halfway through the cruise dealing with the assistant waiter I believe.

I can assure you that wine was indeed offered at 10 bucks a litre pitcher at both lunch and dinner in the Windjammer. Any one of the 1897 passengers could verify that fact.

Sorry. I didn't realize you were talking about 1897. You could probably get some really good wine for $10/liter back then.

PS - Just a little joke there. I know you weren't really talking about a year there. And I wasn't accusing you of dishonesty earlier. I believed what you said, which is that you were "told that Windjammer diners could purchase a litre for ten bucks!" I just have my doubts about whether what you were told was true. But maybe it's true, and they for some reason had bulk containers of cheap wine they were trying to get rid of.

Edited by Paul65

Trying to remember which cruise but I DO remember at one point there WAS a table set up outside Windjammer containing a variety of wine bottles that could be purchased for $10 each. I recall asking why and they said it was extra inventory, wines no longer on the list, that they were getting rid of...I bought two bottles.:D

Sorry. I didn't realize you were talking about 1897. You could probably get some really good wine for $10/liter back then.

PS - Just a little joke there. I know you weren't really talking about a year there. And I wasn't accusing you of dishonesty earlier. I believed what you said, which is that you were "told that Windjammer diners could purchase a litre for ten bucks!" I just have my doubts about whether what you were told was true. But maybe it's true, and they for some reason had bulk containers of cheap wine they were trying to get rid of.

Two years ago on the Navigator towards the end of the cruise i heard they had been selling in the Windjammer the mini bottles of wine for $5 ea so I wouldn't be surprised if they offered cheap wine on tap, or what I usually drink, for that price. I will definitely be checking out the Windjammer for that wine on my next cruise...

Edited by janrey1234