Viking Air from the west coast

chaswill

Just wondering, has anyone booked Viking Air from the west coast, specifically from California to a cruise? We are booked for an October cruise and was curious as to which carriers and routes they have used. Since we won't get our air arrangements until summer, was just curious.

We're booked on the 12/22 cruise and we have our air already booked through Viking air. We live in Az and we have premium economy that was booked on British Airways. We fly from Phx to London and then to Barcelona.

On previous Viking river cruises, and our upcoming Viking Homeland cruise, Viking booked us on Delta/Air France. This is flying from Reno.

The food on Air France is pretty good for airline food :)

Just wondering, has anyone booked Viking Air from the west coast, specifically from California to a cruise? We are booked for an October cruise and was curious as to which carriers and routes they have used. Since we won't get our air arrangements until summer, was just curious.

Yes, we have booked our air through Viking every time. We usually use Lufthansa Airlines. We go LAX to Frankfurt and then on to our destination. We hear that when you go through Heathrow it can be a madhouse!

Edited by redwoods

We will be on the 8-8-2015 cruise out of Bergen and our Viking Air flight is out of Newark on SAS. We fly to Oslo and then to Bergen. We are doing a back to back to Venice and will fly SAS to Copenhagen and then to Newark.

Yes, we have booked our air through Viking every time. We usually use Lufthansa Airlines....

Do you ask to fly with Lufthansa or is this something you have to pay extra to do?

Our China cruise and air wit Viking was good but our Amsterdam/Basel was so bad, we knew we were going to miss a whole day with what Viking booked and they refused to change it so we had no choice but to miss a whole day, never saw Amsterdam at all and almost missed the boat..and dinner.

We are doing Oceans next week and they waited so long to book air, way too close to the trip so we booked our own so we had control of stops and layovers and came in right around the same cost.

I would recommend that you pay the $50.00 each for custom air with Viking. That way you can talk with Viking and see what they can work out that has the best flight times and layovers for you. It is worth the little extra to get there in the shortest, most efficient way possible. I tried it twice with Viking custom air and actually ended up paying alittle more for better flights on our own, but there are several cities where you can fly nonstop from the west coast to Europe.

We booked with Viking Air Plus Program 2013 for River Cruise and flew UA SEA to Chi (ORD) and then on to Zurich (ZRH) Swiss Air and returned UA Lufthansa Amsterdam (AMS) to Chicago (ORD) and on to (SEA) with Lufthansa operated as UA. Very smooth and all connections went well.

For our 2015 Ocean Cruise with Viking we had options as we booked BC with either British Airways or Delta.

We're booked BC Delta (SEA) to Pairs (CDG) and Delta (CDG) to Venice (VCE) returning (KLM) Istanbul to Amsterdam (AMS) and KLM (AMS) to (SEA) Home. Hoping all will go well with this also.

Plan to do the same with our 2016 Viking Cruise Custom Air BC.

So far we trust and enjoy the Viking all inclusive air experience.

Appreciate this feedback on other experiences and hope for the best.

We've done both booking with Viking and doing our own and I definitely prefer doing it ourselves. Flew KLM SFO to Amsterdam, the. On to Barcelona for our ocean cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're booked on the 12/22 cruise and we have our air already booked through Viking air. We live in Az and we have premium economy that was booked on British Airways. We fly from Phx to London and then to Barcelona.

We're on the Viking Star now and did the same BA route from Phx you wrote about. We caughtva prem econ sale...about $1750 pp.

We do use Vikings Custom air so we have a say about airlines and route.

We did not have a say regarding flights or airlines for our July 25 Viking Homelands cruise even with Custom Air and deviation. Check your cruise first and don't assume all cruises have this option. We did not.

We are booked Sept 2016 on Catalonia to Constantinople and purchased the Viking Air for $795 pp. Firstly, I am not sure the Custom Air would help us, based on my interpretation, that in addition to the $50 pp we would also have to pay any difference in cost. We are departing from the Houston, TX area; has anyone been booked by Viking from IAH? If so, how was the booking relative to total flight time and number of stops?

Thanks for the input from everyone. This is our first Viking trip and all the information is helpful.

We did not have a say regarding flights or airlines for our July 25 Viking Homelands cruise even with Custom Air and deviation. Check your cruise first and don't assume all cruises have this option. We did not.

We did custom air on the viking river cruise Budapest to Amsterdam. For that trip we checked out the various flight routes etc. on our own so when we called viking to say this is what we want, it took like 5 mins to book it and that was great. However, we are on the Viking Homelands May 2016 and we did book air with Viking as the price was excellent from Toronto. We did pay the $50 for custom as we wanted to fly to Bergen 1 day early. We have no say in the flight route to Bergen but we still figured it was cheaper then booking air on our own. Transfer from airport to Bergen is not covered by Viking, however the return from Stockholm is as we are flying directly back to Toronto.

I checked my email yesterday as we are currently on the Viking Star and have a rez on Viking b2b Finest France riverboat next Aug. They just announced a sale on air so I contacted our TA and she confirmed that our Prem Econ from Phx will be reduced by $810 pp...from about $3000 to $2190...

Yes, we booked from SFO for a July cruise an d we are booked on SAS (Scandinavian Air) with a short (1 hour) layover in Copenhagen and then a flight to Bergen. FYI. You can call Viking and get your air arrangements Around 75 days or more before getting travel documents. Seats cannot be upgraded but within 22 hours of the flight you can get seats changed. On the way back Stockhom to SFO we fly through Newark and have a four hour layover. Last year flying home from Europe we needed that much time to process passports and customs(although we have Global Entry (GOES) now). I hope this info helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We're doing SFO-> AMS, AMS ->IST on KLM Sept this year. I called Viking and handled it with them. The only restriction they had on airlines was that you had to use the same carrier inbound and outbound.

Andy