lol Carnival

keith75

It's a free drink - not that big of a deal. As for the party, it was getting rediculously crowded - I'm Platinum now, but I rarely went to the party either way because it wasn't worth trying to get a waiter's attention.

As for the free drink and when and where you can redeem it - come on guys it's $9. If Carnival were to discount your fare by $9 would it really get you excited??

As I've said before, they owe me nothing - I cruise with them because I have a great time. And I can assure you, anyone willing to switch lines because they feel unappreciated due to not getting to go to a party will not break CCL's bank.

If you don't like CCL take your hard earned money elsewhere and be happy. Life's too short to get all upset over who gets to go to a party, how someone became Platinum, where and when you can get a free drink.

So people who made a living off of 3 day cruises and Interior cabins in the 90s and early 2000s are worth more than the balcony and suite cruisers of now.......

:D

I first made platinum on the cruise that got my wife and I to 46 days.

That said, we've always sailed balconies or suites.

In Carnival's defense, they didn't have much choice. The parties were filling to the largest venue on the ships to capacity. In retrospect, though, they should have made the Gold drink coupon usable without restriction. The restrictions on that coupon are laughable.

Edited by gtalum

The new drink coupons for Gold are only on the LAST day, and AFTER 5pm. Can someone shed some light behind this logic, besides a lot of people being in their cabins packing and doing last minute things before debarkation, and with their minds somewhere else besides redeeming a free drink coupon?

I agree that the coupon restrictions are bad. That said, how much time do you spend packing on the last day of your cruise? Admittedly we do pack light, but we pack in ~15 minutes just before it's time to head to the lounge for self-assist debarkation.

Edited by gtalum

You are not treated like an outcast at all. Get over yourself. If you really care this much then you are just a few cruises away from becoming platinum and trust me once you become platinum the perks are not even that great. There is no difference in your service whether you are blue, red, gold, platinum, diamond. So many cry babies over a party, jeeze.

Wll stated. And the party is not all that great. If you have been to one, you have been to them all....nothing seems to change. Do I go? Most of the time, but just because it is something to do. The free drinks are a nice perk, but it is the sweet drinks that I normally would not have...just not my taste. The free food? Well, you can get food anywhere all the time, so a little sandwich is not a big deal really. If I were given a free drink coupon for most any drink of MY choice, I would consider that a nice perk. And the bottle of water...I drink that, so it is nice. I like to cruise, and just because I have cruised enough to get a Platinum card should not be held against me. I remember my first Blue card, and I enjoy seeing all the Blue card holders knowing they are beginning what I hope they ind to be an enjoyable experience they will return to. That is how I became Platinum...I kept coming back for a nice vacation. Not to come back to collect silver colored key cards.

...how much time do you spend packing on the last day of your cruise? Admittedly we do pack light, but we pack in ~15 minutes just before it's time to head to the lounge for self-assist debarkation.

I travel with a large backpack, whether 3 nights or 7, so my packing/unpacking takes about as long as yours. But based on some of the posts here (about starting to pack months in advance, and writing lists, and all the different wardrobes, and shoes, and bags, and accessories, and bringing coolers, etc, etc) makes me think that there's a lot of people who take a lot longer to pack than you and me. [emoji6]

Edited by Tapi

I seriously am getting weary of the Platinum and Diamond bashers here. Seriously - who cares! I am Gold and will be for a while. I didn't cruise for the Gold/Platinum/Diamond party so losing it isn't a biggy - it WAS getting too crowded so problem solved! We are getting the cheers program so the drink coupon won't really matter, but it's a nice touch. I might just buy some young broke looking couple a drink with it and make their day. The water is a nice touch also and I am thankful for it, and certainly not demanding that I deserve more just because I have taken some cruises.

People are focusing on the "perks" they think they deserve instead of the cruise. Did you have a good cruise? Were you treated nicely? Was your belly full? Did you get to relax and have a good time? Did you see some places you haven't seen before? Come on people - focus on that and get over all the perks bull**** and stop expending all your energy on negativity. If losing the Party is a deal breaker for you - cruise with another company.

Tip: You are going to have a happier life overall if you stop with the negative energy and start thinking of all the positives in your cruise! Stop sweating the little stuff and focus on the big picture - Hey! It's a cruise! ;)

I travel with a large backpack, whether 3 nights or 7, so my packing/unpacking takes about as long as yours. But based on some of the posts here (about starting to pack months in advance, and writing lists, and all the different wardrobes, and shoes, and bags, and accessories, and bringing coolers, etc, etc) makes me think that there's a lot of people who take a lot longer to pack than you and me. [emoji6]

Got it! :D

We became "one bag" converts way back in 2002 when we got married because we flew to London for our honeymoon and there was a threatened baggage handler strike. We've never looked back. We pack for every trip, no matter the length, in a single carry-on legal bag for each of us (a large convertible backpack for me, rollaboards for my wife and daughter). Now we also have to distribute our toddler son's stuff into our other bags too, but his stuff doesn't take up much room yet. :D

Sometimes I'm amazed at the sheer amount of baggage that some people drag on cruises.

Anyone who complains about how anyone else got their platinum status either doesn't have enough problems in their life, doesn't have a life or both.

I agree lido deck larry. Just get me on the ship and I'm happy. I don't love everything that Carnival does, but I love the wonderful team members who make me feel so happy each and every time I cruise. And I can always find something I enjoy since there are so many options on Carnival.

Yes I am kind of bitter when the price of my cabin could pay for 3 or 4 interior cabins and they treat me like a outcast.

For people who can only sail on certain date, e.g. Christmas, the price of their interior cabins might be (much) higher than your balcony or even suite cabins.

So people who made a living off of 3 day cruises and Interior cabins in the 90s and early 2000s are worth more than the balcony and suite cruisers of now.......

I get what you are saying, but its tough for most to translate.

I heard the beards are looking at that data set for future 'loyalty' program change considerations.

I heard the beards are looking at that data set for future 'loyalty' program change considerations.

They will always be tweaking and changing the program just as they do the cruise line itself. Hopefully more thought goes into the process next time.

Yes I am kind of bitter when the price of my cabin could pay for 3 or 4 interior cabins and they treat me like a outcast.

Oh puh-lease! If you want to pay megabucks and look down your nose at others just because you, in my opinion, overpaid for a room on a ship, then you should cruise on another line. There are plenty of other lines that cater to that kind style.

This is a picture of the device the beards use to determine loyalty program and other onboard experience enhancements:

72212-calculator.jpg

Edited by Tapi

For people who can only sail on certain date, e.g. Christmas, the price of their interior cabins might be (much) higher than your balcony or even suite cabins.

What about the Gold members sailing on Christmas in a Suite or Balcony.....

Hate to tell you but I cruised more last yr the you have done in your life

This is a picture of the device the beards use to determine loyalty program and other onboard experience changes:

that is the biggest picture of a calculator i've ever seen. you broke the thread! lol :D

that is the biggest picture of a calculator i've ever seen. you broke the thread! lol :D

Oops. I'm replying from my phone. Couldn't tell how big it was![emoji15]

Edited by Tapi

This makes no sense to me. Should I be angry at all the people who live close to a port when I have to fly in? They obviously can cruise more often because travel cost isn't a factor. I'm not salty toward them so why would anyone care about those who cruise in an interior?

You could get points for every dollar spent aboard as well. That would make it very fair, IMHO. [emoji2]

This way the $1,500 suite passenger with the $500 S&S gets 2,000 points, the $750 balcony passenger with the $1,250 S&S gets 2,000 points, and the $250 porthole passenger with the $50 S&S (me [emoji6]) gets 300 points.

i've always thought something along those lines would be the most 'fair'.

people have floated the ideas (as other cruise lines honor in their loyalty programs) re: singles paying the supplement getting double points... those sailing in suites, the same. both are covered in a point/$ type model.

there are plenty of platinums that got there because they live close to a port, and / or have plenty of time to take cruises, including at last minute for great bargain prices, etc.

lots of people are able to take these say $100 short cruises in an interior and don't spend a dime onboard.

by contrast, i typically sail in a balcony, and spend as much or more onboard than the cruise cost - my S&S will typically be about $100 a day... so in comparison, i may spend more on one cruise between fare and onboard spending, than someone taking several short cheap cruises per year with no onboard spending...

which customer do you think carnival would rather have on their ships week after week? so where's the loyalty love... lol :rolleyes:

I'm not bitter about it, but I do understand what keith75 is saying. For those who are not aware, prior to January 1, 2014 (I think that was the cutoff) the requirement to become Platinum was the completion of 10 cruises or 75 sea days, whichever came first. This caused many people to take a bunch of 3 or 4 day cruises and back to back 3 or 4 day cruises to reach Platinum status quickly, so you could ostensibly become Platinum with only 30 cruise days under your belt. Who can blame them? If I had lived near a cruise port, I would probably have done the same thing.

Alas, I, (and presumably keith75) don't live anywhere near a cruise port so the only cruises I go on are 7+ day cruises, and always when my teens are off of school so the cost is higher. Plus, I only book balcony rooms on Lido or higher. I have over 50 days at sea with Carnival now, but they have been 50 days the hard way!

So, I think that is why many people are feeling slighted. Personally, I prefer the drink coupon over the party, although I wish it were redeemable at any time.

Edited by Laurin612

The kind of cabin you choose is based on how much money you wish to spend. Just because you don't have your other assets kissed has nothing to do with it. The program that is in place is the one that rules, not the one you would like it to be. When they change it then you can rejoice. Until that time, it is the plan you sign up for when you cruise Carnival. AND, they can change it or even cancel it any time they want to. Read the fine print.

The people in the interior cabin could be spending 10 or 20 times more than you are on excursions, drinks, Steakhouse visits, and in the gift shops than you do. Do you want those things added in to the loyalty program too? If so, people could pass you up with those purchases and still be using interior cabins.