Aarp gift cards!!!!!!!!!!

mabones

I asked at tripinsurancestore.com before purchasing trip insurance. I was told the insurance companies will not reimburse any amount paid for with gift cards. I don't want to save 10% just to be out 100% + the cost of insurance if I have to cancel. If you get the cruise line (carnival) insurance it may not mater but if you use another insurance company it may be a problem. You can also search this issue on the trip insurance board. I would check with the insurance company you choose.

This isn't in the policy or cruise contract. I'm an attorney, and I read every word :p

I haven't researched the issue, as this is my first time seeing it. I'm wondering how they would know how you paid for the cruise? The one time I we had to cancel and use the insurance (purchased thru IMT) , we just had to provide proof the cruise WAS paid.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Why should insurance care for the method you used to pay for your trip? I buy insurance independent of Carnival anyway with a credit card. I saw this years ago and checked it out with the company I use back when I first started buying these gifts cards. Neither of the reps I talked to knew anything about this being an issue nor is it stated anywhere in the policies I've had. So I'm not worried.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So are you saying that it's not true? That a cruise paid for with gift cards IS covered by third party insurance? Or is it some loophole the insurance companies can use to get out of paying a claim?

Woah. I'm not that kind of attorney, and I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

I took a class on insurance law in law school, where I learned that everything had to be included in the policy/contract. This is why I am sure to read everything before purchasing it.

I'll have to look closer into the issue, but I'm not personally concerned.

Woah. I'm not that kind of attorney, and I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

I took a class on insurance law in law school, where I learned that everything had to be included in the policy/contract. This is why I am sure to read everything before purchasing it.

I thought it would have to be included as well, but then again, I'm not anything close to a lawyer.

Lets ask this question. Why even bother buying travel insurance ? Been traveling for decades and never needed it, saw a use for it or even thought i would / could or should need or want it.

The big reason I get it is for medical. My insurance doesn't cover me outside of the US and even if it did my deductibles/co-pays/coinsurance are so crazy that it would cost me THOUSANDS I don't have. And even if I did, I wouldn't want to spend it for that. I am willing to spend $50 (less than the cost of Bottomless Bubbles) to proactively protect myself and my family against catastrophic financial distress.

There is not going to be an insurance debate here on this thread. If you don't want it, great. May you never need it. For those of us that choose to protect ourselves, we are trying to sort out if we are being overcharged or even lied to by being sold a service that we aren't getting in full.

If you have further questions about the ins and outs or whys of travel insurance, there are LOTS of threads. Even a whole forum on it.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Lets ask this question. Why even bother buying travel insurance ? Been traveling for decades and never needed it, saw a use for it or even thought i would / could or should need or want it.

We've gone without a couple of times for cheap last minute trips, but for more expensive, long-planned trips, we get it.

DH had to have emergency surgery,and we had to cancel one of our cruises. We paid around 125.00, and it reimbursed the entire cruise and our airfare (a few thousand)

His brother fell down the stairs on the ship and to have stitches in his scalp. It covered all of his expenses and pain meds. If he had to be medivaced from the ship, he would have been out tens of thousands of dollars without insurance!

Edited by VASOXFANN

Dont get me wrong i see why others might need it but for the time being i myself have never needed it.

I know its a gamble but hey traveling is a gamble too now, lol.

No one ever needs it until they do. That's true for any type of insurance. As long as you're good paying out of pocket for medical expenses no matter how much they are (possibly in a foreign country), and are OK losing all of your cruise fare and airfare if applicable, then you don't need it.

But if something comes up and you can't go on your cruise, don't expect Carnival to "move" your cruise and then come on here to complain that they stink and they are cold and heartless and that you will never cruise them again because they won't. Not saying this at you directly, just a statement. Happens all the time. Again, this is the wrong thread for this. I suggest you go to one of the hundreds of other ones if you wish to discuss further.

Dont get me wrong i see why others might need it but for the time being i myself have never needed it.

I know its a gamble but hey traveling is a gamble too now, lol.

Before we started bringing our kids, we never got insurance or had passports. We were alot more foot loose and fancy free then. Now we wouldn't think of going anywhere long distance without either. Whether the kids are on the trip or not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm not qualified to comment however I think the problem is with the "proof of purchase" that would be required. I know the purchase of gift can be proven if you use a credit card but it's not a direct purchase of the cruise.

Or I could be totally incorrect.

I'm not qualified to comment however I think the problem is with the "proof of purchase" that would be required. I know the purchase of gift can be proven if you use a credit card but it's not a direct purchase of the cruise.

Or I could be totally incorrect.

But wouldn't the receipts from Carnival work? I mean, they got paid so as long as it's a form of payment that they accept and they show that you have a zero balance, shouldn't that be good enough? I know you probably don't know the answer, I'm just stating my train of thought.

But wouldn't the receipts from Carnival work? I mean, they got paid so as long as it's a form of payment that they accept and they show that you have a zero balance, shouldn't that be good enough? I know you probably don't know the answer, I'm just stating my train of thought.

No I don't think so. From the Travel Insured website (but I saw a similar requirement at CSA and others

"In addition to invoices and receipts, proof of payment is required to validate the exact claim amount."

No I don't think so. From the Travel Insured website (but I saw a similar requirement at CSA and others

"In addition to invoices and receipts, proof of payment is required to validate the exact claim amount."

Right, but "Proof of payment" would come from Carnival showing how much your cruise was and how much you paid, right? So if carnival sends an invoice (like you get via email) showing the amount of the cruise, taxes/port fees, gratuities, and whatever else, it shows the total amount due and then then total amount paid. I would think that would be all they need. Nowhere on any invoice that I have received does it say how I paid, just the amount I paid.