Norwegian Gem Holiday cruise

Hi fellow cruisers!

We are thinking of booking the Norwegian Gem Holiday Cruise in December, given that it sails from New York, and there are no indoor pools (for kids) how many days sailing before it warms up enough to use the pools? I think its @ 2 1/2 days before we get to Puerto Rico and I guess fingers crossed it will be warm by then, but first day at sea, what does everyone do? or was the deck warm enough? also sailing back up are the last 2 days sailing inside only? (assuming typical winter weather for NY)

Also grateful for any recommended tours on the islands that a 5 year old will enjoy

We are sailing Dec 3rd, we have cruised from NYC many times. As for the weather??? One can never tell.... I can say that we sailed in Feb 2012, March 2013 and the weather was in the 60's both times leaving NY. Yes very unusual. This year we sailed March 1st and it was a blizzard when we set sail. By the afternoon of day 1 you can be outside sitting by the pool. They are heated too so many were in the hot tubs and few in the pools but most likely need a sweater still. We have been so lucky with beautiful weather. On the was back to NY even the last day we were outside all day and it began to get cooler in the afternoon. Love the Gem she's a great ship. I guess I should also add that if the weather is too cold for outside, there are plenty of activities planned inside.

Thanks, very helpful! we actually live in the Caribbean (Barbados) but because of the cost of flights to here over Christmas it will be cheaper For us to fly to NY and meet our children and grandchildren for this cruise, than for them to fly here Your post has helped me persuade my husband that the first and last days won't be 'wasted'