Whale Tours

zelly2

On Celbrity Millennium in August, 2015 and want to do whale tour either in Juneau or Icy Strait. Which port would be best for this time of year? I know Icy Strait is small and not as much there to do as Juneau. Thanks for help.

Highly recommend Misty Bay Lodge @ Icy Straight Pt (Hoonah)

They only take up to 6 people and there is an upper deck and the lower deck has an overhang in case it rains. They have a bathroom and a large inside cabin as well. Captain Dan keeps in touch with the other boat captains to get the best viewing. Awesome time.

Afterwards we had homemade Fish chowder!

We were on two different cruise lines for our cruises, but both of our Alaska cruises were in August. We took whale watching excursions in Juneau and Icy Strait Point.

We saw more whales on the shore excursion in ISP than in Juneau.

Lovetotraveltx--you made a great choice going with F.I.S.H.E.S.--cannot praise them enough!!

Icy Strait--Highly recommend F.I.S.H.E.S. [see their website for details]. CPT Floyd really knows the waters and his spouse Marj provides 10-15 minute R/T transfer service from pier to dock. First rate tour seeing several pods, sea otters, sea lions, many eagles, and lots of other wildlife.

We discovered that my wife left her purse on their boat about 25 minutes before the last tender. We phoned Marj from the dock, she drove from her home to their dock, retrieved the purse and delivered it to us about 3 minutes before the last tender cast off. Talk about great people and a wonderful tour!!! You can count on F.I.S.H.E.S.!!!

Juneau--used Harv & Marv & saw lots of whales and other creatures. A great tour, thankfully without the drama. Ask for CPT Liz. Also with transfer service & stop at Mindenhall Glacier included in price.

Both about 3-3.5 hours long, boats with toilets and free snacks. Both cost about $150 per person + tip.

We're on the Millennium at the end of July and as advised on this board, booked a whale-watching tour in Icy Strait Point. We can't recommend a company as we have yet to actually go, but we booked with Misty Bay Lodge. They have 2 boat options - the 6-person boat as mentioned above, and a new 18-person boat with a similar layout. We chose the 18-person boat hoping for slightly increased stability on the water.

Whoever you decide to go with, have a great time! :)

We watched whales from shore at Icy Strait Point. Just look where you see the whale watching boats go and you'll see them. Pro tip: If you're cruising out of Seattle, we have whale watching for about half or less of the cost, especially with a groupon. Victoria also has Groupons for whale watching.

We used F.I.S.H.E.S. for our first Alaska cruise and were very happy with them. If you are only going to do whale watching one time, that is the place to do it, since there are so many other things to do in Juneau. We have done whale watching in Juneau twice along with other activities, since we love to go whale watching. Can't get enough of watching the amazing animals.

Again Thanks everyone. Will ck out FISHES and Misty Bay and decide. Since this is first time for Alaska --

Juneau want to go to Mendehall Glacier and ride Mt. Roberts Tram if clear day but appreciate any advice for Juneau, and

Skagway ---think will do White Pass train but appreciate advice and

Ketchikan -- ride bus to Totem Bight State Park and do

Potlach Park and Saxman Native Village -- still appreciate your

input since you have been there and know what you liked and can give first timers good advice.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by zelly2

I can highly recommend a Glacier Wind Tours in Hoonah. We had a great time with them in May, 2013.

Since we did the whale watch there we spent many glorious hours at Mendenhall. Took our time on the path to Nugget Falls and a slow walk back by the water. Really enjoyed watching all the videos and reading all the signs at the visitor center. We were not rushed and savored the time there.

I would go with ISP as there is so much to do in Juneau.

Totally agree. When I was deciding what to do in Juneau I had to scratch whale tours to make time for the salmon hatchery and 2 trails at Mendenhall Glacier. I am hoping we can see whales from the ship.

JimAOk --- who did you tour with at Icy Strait?

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. It's been awhile since I checked in. We booked our excursion through the cruise line. We were on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. It was an awesome experience. I highly recommend it.

You might enjoy seeing a slide show my wife made for her website with some of the pictures she took. I'll insert a link below that will take you there.

Icy Strait Point Whale Watch Shore Excursion (booked through the cruise line)