Part 2 - The TMI Independence May 24-May 31 Cruise Review (aka short novel)

Group Bookings

If you are a group of people booking several rooms, definitely look at doing a group booking. You qualify when you have 8 rooms, and then for every 16 people making a reservation, there is a conductor credit given to the group. It is some formula calculated on the average fare being paid by the members of your party. For us, we split up the conductor credit and gave it to everyone and it decreased the cruise price by around $40 per person. (Not a lot of money, granted, but I was happy to have it to put towards my booze package or a couple of pictures.)

There is also an additional on-board credit given to groups. The OBC is a flat amount given to each room. We were not able to receive the $25 for the Bring a Friend promotion for the three new cruisers sailing with us this time (they were all in separate rooms which meant we could have qualified on each of them!!); it didn’t, however, make us ineligible for the $100 OBC that we earned because we had booked a future cruise while on our last cruise so we did get that.

One additional note to mention regarding group bookings – we got an email in late April from Royal Caribbean about our group:

Good day,

We need to adequately prepare our ships for potential difficulties on groups that fall just outside our current SUM group process. In an effort to do this, we are reviewing all groups which consists of 40% or more guests that are between the ages of 21 and 24.

47% of guests on group 4305300 are between the ages of 21 and 24.

• Please contact the agency and make sure their guest are aware of Guest Conduct Policy.

• Please ensure there is an adult in every stateroom

• Please be sure a group leader is assigned.

• Please advise the travel partner to encourage their guests to utilize the Online Check-in and complete their Set Sail Pass.

• Email me back to advise this has been completed***

NOTE: If anyone has falsified their age for booking purposes, those guests will be denied boarding at the pier. Utilizing Online Check-in and completing their Set Sail Pass will give guests the pre-sailing opportunity to correct any stateroom assignment to ensure a guest in each room is really 21 or older. Please advise once you have spoken with the travel agency.

Little surprised that we would get that email. Our reservation for 19 people consisted of only six different last names, and one of the last names was in five of our eight rooms, so we were obviously a family traveling together. It’s quite possible, however, that our reservation was spit out by some program that didn’t look at anything besides the ages.

It appears that maybe Spring Break may be a little rough for them.

So the reservation was in order, and that meant moving to the preparations….. 

Groundwork

With so many family members having opinions and questions, we like to get together to talk about the cruise and organize our plans. We typically hold at least two cruise “meetings” where we have a big meal, hang-out, and go over any questions that anyone may have/review any information that we know the others may need. At that first meeting we discuss things we may like to do on the islands in order for me to do more research, find prices, and so forth. We also decide things like the color we all plan to wear to have a group family picture (once we all wore blues and greens, another year we all wore shades of purple). This time the decision was to wear red, white and blue in honor of sailing on the Independence. (We used that theme throughout.)

The second meeting for this trip was only seven weeks prior to the cruise (which is cutting it way too close, actually, if we wanted to book excursions), but we had trouble coordinating schedules for the meeting.

For all the family members I usually create a binder for each stateroom and also have handouts for the meeting. (My binder has a few more tabs than those I make for the rest of the family.)

Binder tabs:

• Itinerary

• Deck plans

• Beverage packages

• Drink menus

• A tab for each port of call

• Dining (room service menu, main dining menu, specialty restaurant menus)

• Spa (list of services with pricing)

• Laundry (pricing)

• Flights (with a pocket for tickets)

• Invoice

• Passports, etc (copies in binder, passport in pocket) My personal binder also includes copies of documents showing evidence of my relationship to my sons since we no longer have the same last name. (I used to take along the custody agreement and release given by their bio-father for them to cruise even though the custody agreement awarding them to me should have been sufficient.)

• Cruise contract (Set Sail paperwork)

• Hotel reservation documentation, etc.

• Car rental confirmation

The handouts are for any topic that still needs reviewed (and not yet in the binder). For example, at the time of this meeting we had no idea what we were doing while at St. Kitts. I had prepared information related to various excursions, landmarks, information on beaches, etc.

The meeting had this agenda:

f_29821274827

Yes, we seriously do review all the items listed on the agenda and hammer out any missing details. Pretty chaotic at times with so many of us, but on one of the earlier cruises we went with the attitude to wing-it and then spent one of our port days sitting around for almost two hours in the morning after the ship had docked trying to firm up plans, and then an additional hour trying to get things to fall into place. Having at least an idea of what we are doing is far more efficient, and I honestly think that everyone feels better about having concrete (though flexible) plans. Or maybe it’s just OCD me that feels better….LOL

https://psu.box.com/s/m6blszpg5g1n9m7bsw5p8qtz1c0ke84x

Planning for Ports of Call

We tend to stick together for the most part, though smaller groups have broken off separately sometimes. Occasionally some will even stay back on the ship for a spa-day while others venture off.

San Juan – first visit to this location. We plan to utilize the trolley in order to see some of the island, and wander on our own through the historic parts of Old San Juan. And then visiting bars. After all, we are traveling with ten adults aged 20-26….. One concern that we can see here is for a responsible designee to make sure the drinkers get back on the ship in time. Don’t get the idea that these kids (or us adults) are crazy drinkers, or that it MUST be the focal point of our trip, that isn’t the case, but we do all drink, and there really just isn’t anything like sipping pina coladas in the Caribbean…. ;) As far as this day, I don’t think anyone will get too inebriated, but we are there until late (something new for us) and I have heard some other cruisers’ stories…..

St. Maarten – we had been here on the last cruise and enjoyed just being at Great Bay. We got a table at the Blue Bitch Bar, and some of the group would periodically wander off to swim, or shop, and then come back and just hang out on the boardwalk. I read a lot of conflicting information about the water quality in Great Bay, but we are all typically healthy individuals and as mentioned, I found many opposing views/material on the subject. So just as last trip, we all agreed that we intended to do that again. Though it attracts a ton of people, Maho Beach did not interest us. Other popular spot, Orient Beach, seems just awkward for our multi-generation family. (Seriously, how much worse could it get than sitting on the beach near a topless woman while accompanied by my three sons, my brother, and my father?!) Thanks, but no thanks.

St. Kitts – This was also a new place for us so I tried to really research this location. We hadn’t planned to do any excursions during this cruise (partially because the plans worked out that we didn’t need to do one, and partially because we were conscious of keeping costs down for some of our group) so we agreed that we could consider one here. I may be able to answer questions even if it isn’t what we actually do that day, since by the time we had the meeting I had approximately 50 pages of information to review.

Our decision ended up being to skip a formal excursion and simply find taxis to take us to our destinations. We have approximately 1/3 of the group that wants to go to the Brimstone Fortress, and the remaining people want to go to Cockleshell Beach and just hang out. We chose Cockleshell among all the options because it seems to offer the most in the way of activities. Jill and I had been particularly drawn to the Marriott because we liked the assurance that it would be clean and well-maintained, and the price was good for the ability to use their facilities/pool, but ours is a democracy. One factor for me in not campaigning with our group for the Marriott choice is that it sits on the Atlantic side of the island and I like to take advantage of any opportunity for nicer, warmer water. (Minor detail at best - it’s the Caribbean, we are already in nice, warm water!!)

Drink packages

As it is with many Cruise Critic followers, members of our group did not know how to decide on purchasing a drink package. We can all calculate how many drinks needed to break even, but then there is the guessing if the at-sea days make up for the time when we will be off the ship. THEN the chore of determining exactly which of the packages to buy.

The spreadsheet I made to help the family:

https://psu.box.com/s/fboitsw6nzbzr2acgqb5d3i79n001euw

It was easy for some of them; for example, my one son only drinks beer, but at 23, was pretty sure that he would drink A LOT of beer. His girlfriend, however, not so easy. She’s just 21, and though they have some stamina at that age, she wasn’t sure she would keep up, day after day. She finally decided that she would enjoy herself more if she wasn’t worried about over-spending every time wanted a drink and trying to calculate her total cost. For her, she felt better making the decision to buy the package, and have the peace of mind that it was done.

On our last cruise they had just rolled out the drink packages. My brother and sister-in-law bought it, my husband and I did not (he doesn’t drink much of anything and it was when everyone over 21 in the room had to buy it). After reviewing my purchases at the end of the week of the cruise in 2013, I had spent just over the amount that the package would have cost. (I had a few fruity drinks, but mostly took advantage of the beer bag, which may not be an option any longer.) Considering the fact that I made a point to drink what I wanted the last cruise, didn’t “over-indulge” or have wild nights out, yet still was at the breaking point, it seems pretty obvious that I should buy one this trip. On top of that, we now have the increases to the drink prices. I am pretty confident that I will drink enough to make it worth it, plus having the bottled water as part of the deal is enough to keep me from hesitating at all. I will certainly let everyone know how that works out.

On-Board Credit

After the first Royal Caribbean cruise, we obtained the RC credit card. We use it for our groceries each month, and by the time we cruise again, we cash in for on-board credit. (NOTE: interest rate is high, so pay it off monthly). We will not prepay our tips or buy the alcohol package prior to the cruise in order to apply our OBC to those expenses (since it cannot be used until after boarding, hence On-Board Credit). If we were interested in doing a specialty restaurant then we probably would have paid for that in advance to secure a reservation time that we wanted, but my husband and I are happy eating in the MDR, knowing that the Windjammer is also a choice.

Specialty Restaurants

As mentioned in the previous paragraph, we chose not to make any dinner reservations so I will not be able to provide any feedback on those places unless it is reports from other members in our group.

We had done Giovannis Table when we were on the Oasis in 2013 and though everything was delicious, we weren’t impressed enough to pay additional money for the experience. Besides, I ended up eating even more than usual (and I am someone that gains more than 10 pounds during a cruise) so we just felt it wasn’t necessary this trip. We typically find more than enough that we like in the MDR.

Passport

Passport application sent in early February took less than 4 weeks to arrive. By the way, there is no discount or cheaper rate given to females that get married and need to have only a name change on the passport – it is the same cost as getting a new one, regardless of how much longer the “current” passport would be valid. $125 at the time of purchase.

Two weddings had occurred in the family since the last cruise, so passports were needed. From everything that we read, the key is to make sure that the name on the cruise reservation and the name on the passport match, so I guess it could have been that the name on the ship reservation was kept in the maiden name in order to match the passport, but we weren’t willing to risk it. (I imagined RCC requesting to see my daughter-in-law’s driver license, which does have her new name, resulting in my son and daughter-in-law standing in the terminal being told she couldn’t board because all the corresponding documents didn’t match. Gives me chills just thinking about it!)

Packing

I mentioned previously that I am a planner. Rather ridiculous one, to be honest. I won’t pretend that I am good at it, or thorough, but I love doing research and creating spreadsheets, and, simply, planning. For me, it makes the whole cruise more exciting.

First, for my own wardrobe I try to limit the colors that I wear on a cruise in order to mix and match from two or three base colors. (On the last cruise I had everything go with black & white, this cruise is navy & white.)

Spreadsheet for packing clothes:

https://psu.box.com/s/znaa6rh8sk0gydrjdldhjmqp6tjk1q82

Other items:

https://psu.box.com/s/fds7mjm20p2rsazmzvyask168l57zvxe

I am perfectly aware that even with the limited colors of my clothes that I over pack. For all of you that reduce the number of shoes you have to three, or go for a week with just one suitcase – kudos to you, if you need affirmation. I, on the other hand, like to have everything that I may need with me, and will admit that it may be evidence of a personality flaw of some kind. My husband and I end up with two suitcases each, and each of us takes a carryon (a backpack for my husband and I use a Vera Bradley Weekender bag, though no separate purse). We travel Southwest so baggage fees aren’t an issue. My husband doesn’t mind, and I am happier being “prepared for any eventuality”. I admit that some of those items come home unused, but there are also enough times that someone in our group will need (and appreciate!) an obscure item that they didn’t bring.

I also have a luggage list that cross-references all of the above items and the suitcase where the item is packed, but that is primarily to avoid going through all the bags if something is needed prior to unpacking on the ship (like in the Florida hotel). Though I have been fortunate not to have it occur, I suppose in the event that I have lost luggage then I would also be able to identify very easily what is missing.

Travel

Fifteen members of the clan got on the same flight out of Pittsburgh on Saturday. We like to fly in a day or two early. The rest of the group will arrive in Florida the morning of the cruise, but the possibilities of issues with that are far too stressful for me. (We actually do know someone who missed their cruise because their flight was delayed. I cannot imagine how devastating after all the anticipation for a cruise!) Our ETA is approximately 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Hotel information

Best Western Plus in Ft. Lauderdale. Decent rates. Free shuttle service to and from airport. Free breakfast in the morning and port shuttle service of $8 per person, though we opted to get rental vehicles.

Getting to Florida after 4:00 the evening before the cruise doesn’t leave a lot of time to do much, so our plan right now is to grab some beverages on our way to the hotel and then order pizza to eat by the pool.

More later

Here’s where I actually go on the cruise! Yay! Please let me know of any questions that I can answer when I return. I absolutely will get the Cruise Compasses uploaded when I get back, I know how helpful that information can be prior to actually going on a cruise!

Is think we are long lost sisters. I am a planning freak and you are giving me some great new ways to do things. I actually recently decided to become a travel agent since I love to plan. Wish I had booked the cruise that 13 people in my family are going on in 2 months, that would have been a nice commission. But I digress. I have my own spreadsheet for planning outfits but I am stealing yours because I like it so much better. I also overpack, and my 3 girls ages 12, 10, and 10 are following in my footsteps. We just never know what we will feel like wearing!!

What I would like to know is the order of the menu themes in the MDR and also what night the ice shows are and Once Upon a Time show.

Have a great cruise! And save some fun for us on the July 19th cruise.

mickev99, I will certainly find out and relay that information! Enjoy the next couple months of planning!!!

We are down to less than 48 hours until we leave, but it's really going slowly now....

Vegasgreg19, I will certainly be paying attention in order to say hello! Expect you are just as excited as we approach the final hours before departure... :)

I'm wondering if you know/can figure out...how does one get onto the front helicopter pad area? I've read it's on the 4th deck, 5th deck, you access from an exit in a bar, you go up outside steps. Just curious, it seems like a great semi-uncrowded sail away spot, thanks!

I'm wondering if you know/can figure out...how does one get onto the front helicopter pad area? I've read it's on the 4th deck, 5th deck, you access from an exit in a bar, you go up outside steps. Just curious, it seems like a great semi-uncrowded sail away spot, thanks!

Go outside on deck 4. Head forward, go up a set of stairs, continue to head forward.

Vegasgreg19, I will certainly be paying attention in order to say hello! Expect you are just as excited as we approach the final hours before departure... :)

Excited? Nah not really...LOL :D

I have already been telling my co-workers to expect me to show up tomorrow wearing a hawaiian shirt and shorts and to not be counted on for anything as I will already be mentally checked out! (Shhh don't tell them that I have already been mentally checked out for the whole week!):cool:

• 2 weeks later...

We have a group of 20+ going in July. We are spread out all over the US, so cannot meet like you have done. So we want to get together the night we leave Ft. Lauderdale. Can you suggest a good place to rendezvous? Maybe a quieter bar/lounge area? Or outside someplace? None of us has been on the Independence of the Seas. Thanks for any suggestions!

Laura,

Reading your review is like "looking in the mirror" and seeing my own image in there (well figuratively not literally of course.) I don't know what you look like and I assume you are a female where as I am a male.

But, I do the SAME thing that you do even down to the binder AND the meetings.

I have been organizing travel for my group for over 20 years now.

You have to be organized when you travel with others.

Very glad to see I am not the only one that does this.

I always say the best part of my vacations are the planning stages and not the vacation itself. Once I get my group to wherever are destination is, I can take a deep breath.

Best of luck in your future travel planning.

Mitch.......

p.s.

EXCELLENT REVIEW!!!!!!!

Following. Sailing 6/21/15. Thank you

Here is a link to your sail away pictures and video from the beach.

If you have any of the beach from the ship I would love to have. We are making a precruise video and used your sail away for the land shots.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8eh3v7nf3zlol15/AABUJiNI1VqLxBFjD5wqKZUta?dl=0

Edited by A6cruiser