Copying Purchased Cruise Photos

vern4141

Just returned from a cruise on the Getaway and decided to have copies made of several of the pictures I purchased on board. Walmart would not print my scanned copies without a release from NCL. Took a while but finally got a copy of the release from NCL Customer relations department (number is on their website). They readily provided the release once I contacted the right department.

Just returned from a cruise on the Getaway and decided to have copies made of several of the pictures I purchased on board. Walmart would not print my scanned copies without a release from NCL. Took a while but finally got a copy of the release from NCL Customer relations department (number is on their website). They readily provided the release once I contacted the right department.

Interesting. While on the phone did they mention being able to get the release on the boat in the future? I can see wanting to make copies of photos on my upcoming group cruise.

6&8

Walgreens did the same thing to me. The person behind the counter was very snooty. She made it seem that I was stealing the pictures. I, too, went back with a release and there was no problem. I think NCL should have copies of the release when you purchase the photos. It would make life a lot easier.

When you deal with a professional photographer there are usually copyright stamps on photographs that you purchase from them. The stores can be sued if they make copies of them without a release. That's why it's common now if you book a sitting or say for a wedding to get a copy of the images on DVD so that you can make your own images. The person at the store was just covering their behind. Good to know that NCL will give you the release.

If you add the USB drive option when purchasing photos, you get a copy of the release on the drive itself. One problem though is that NCL is inconsistent with whether or not the leave the borders on the photo. When I was on the Getaway, I was told they borders would be removed, but they weren't. When I was on the Sky, the borders were removed from the image I purchased.

Were you scanning printed copies of the photos or did you purchase the USB stick with the digital images on it? We purchased the digital images and the release was on the USB drive with the photos.

Unless you have specifically paid for the right to make duplicates of the photos, it is illegal to do so - that is why the photo shops require release if the picture is clearly professionally taken.

As said, when paying extra for the USB stick, the release is included in the price, not when just purchasing single prints.

Edited by Demonyte