New ncl kids camp policy (Live from the GEM)

jbiz

I remember there being the same issue during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. Here was one post I found:

#17 Report Post Old March 24th, 2015, 04:10 PM

FitchburgWIFamily FitchburgWIFamily

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Jan 2013

We sailed the same week 2 years ago and didn't get this email, and we are sailing next week and did get this email. The email is a little alarming at first, but you have to parse it out:

1: All parents are encouraged to register for the Splash Academy and Entourage programs as soon as they board the ship.

Bullet 1 says: do the paperwork and sign up before kids club and entourage open. This doesn't mean cancel your brunch and board early, since getting them signed up is just the paperwork....see bullet 3 for more information. I think they are just encouraging everyone to do the paperwork before they try to drop off the first time

2: Due to the high volume of children and teenagers you could experience slight wait times at registration, drop off and pick up. Please have yours and your child's key card available.

Bullet 2 says: Expect to wait in line. There were waits during drop off and pick up when I sailed two years ago...sometimes we would wait 10 minutes or so to drop off. So, plan ahead and leave yourself plenty of time before your reservation or your show.

3: Splash Academy and Entourage are offered on a first come, first served basis yet strictly follows fire code capacity protocols. In the event, maximum capacity is reached, drop off cannot be guaranteed. We apologize for the inconvenience however the safety of all guests is our top priority.

Bullet 3 is the kicker: each and every day, kids are coming and going from kids club. There is a maximum capacity, and no matter when you enrolled (bullet 1), when you go to drop off, if there is no room at that time...you can't drop off. This never happened to us two years ago in our kid's age group (dolphins), but if it did, I totally get it. I would NOT want them to take in more kids than they could safely monitor or than the room was designed to hold.

Not all kids are going to go every night, every afternoon, or every day. I know my kids went in an out depending on if the activity offered interested them. So, maybe, worst case scenario, when you go to drop off, you have to wait until someone else wants to leave before you can drop off.

Hope this helps.

I remember there being the same issue during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. Here was one post I found:

We sailed the same week 2 years ago and didn't get this email, and we are sailing next week and did get this email. The email is a little alarming at first, but you have to parse it out:

1: All parents are encouraged to register for the Splash Academy and Entourage programs as soon as they board the ship.

Bullet 1 says: do the paperwork and sign up before kids club and entourage open. This doesn't mean cancel your brunch and board early, since getting them signed up is just the paperwork....see bullet 3 for more information. I think they are just encouraging everyone to do the paperwork before they try to drop off the first time

2: Due to the high volume of children and teenagers you could experience slight wait times at registration, drop off and pick up. Please have yours and your child's key card available.

Bullet 2 says: Expect to wait in line. There were waits during drop off and pick up when I sailed two years ago...sometimes we would wait 10 minutes or so to drop off. So, plan ahead and leave yourself plenty of time before your reservation or your show.

3: Splash Academy and Entourage are offered on a first come, first served basis yet strictly follows fire code capacity protocols. In the event, maximum capacity is reached, drop off cannot be guaranteed. We apologize for the inconvenience however the safety of all guests is our top priority.

Bullet 3 is the kicker: each and every day, kids are coming and going from kids club. There is a maximum capacity, and no matter when you enrolled (bullet 1), when you go to drop off, if there is no room at that time...you can't drop off. This never happened to us two years ago in our kid's age group (dolphins), but if it did, I totally get it. I would NOT want them to take in more kids than they could safely monitor or than the room was designed to hold.

Not all kids are going to go every night, every afternoon, or every day. I know my kids went in an out depending on if the activity offered interested them. So, maybe, worst case scenario, when you go to drop off, you have to wait until someone else wants to leave before you can drop off.

Hope this helps.

No it doesn't help. And as it says it didn't happen during those busy times either.

75 kids? That's it? cruizinisthebest on CCL board said it best.

Oh my this sounds awful if true. Wow. Imagine being #77 in line, "sorry, your kids can't come in. Check back in case another kid hates it and gives up their spot."

But no doubt you would chime in to protect NCL's interests. Where's motleycrew?

Never even heard of this happening on Carnival.

Edited by legion3

Our first cruise on the Conquest in 2010 had a lot kids on board, so many that my daughters age group had to meet in the main show theater ever day. Carnival seems to able to expand and contract the kids camps with ease. Maybe NCL needs to take a lesson from them.

From Mediccruzin on the Carnival board

I'm just speculating and it is only my own guess but perhaps N.C.L. has conducted some internal audits of practices and found lapses relating to safety.

Perhaps some venues have been overcrowded when reviewed by the internal audit, and the result is N.C.L. is taking a harder stance on this area.

Overcrowding/Safety/Enough Qualified people to manage the Kids Activities and keep them safe in case of an emergency............................

This is only my opinion, based on nothing factual.

Wow! Unbelievable! We have sailed during holiday times and March Break on Princess, Royal and Carnival and the line just hires more youth staff. No one is turned away! Clearly Norwegian wants to be the "no-frills" cruise line. They may have bookings now, but I suspect 2016-17 won't look to good for them! For anyone that is comparing Norwegian to Royal, Royal may cost a little more, but the value you get and the peace of mind and enjoyment you experience on your vacation will be well worth it!

No it doesn't help. And as you said it didn't happen during those busy times to either.

75 kids?

But no doubt you would chime in to protect NCL's interests. Where's motleycrew?

Never even heard of this happening on Carnival.

What does my post have anything to do with protecting NCL's interest. For God's sake, I remembered an email about the children's program from other times and thought I would post it. You are unbelievable, I didn't write the post all I wrote was: I remember there being the same issue during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. Here was one post I found: and: Hope this helps. Everything else in italics was written by the poster who got the email. If you have an issue with what that poster wrote, then I suggest you find him/her and bring up your issue with them.

This is a deal breaker for me. We cruise because our kids enjoy it also. We don't cruise to stand in line for tickets and to be turned away. This is not a safety issue. It's a staffing issue that could be addressed by NCL.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Completely agree! Our kids enjoy Splash Academy and love making new friends. They don't spend every waking minute there and we try to have a mix of family time and grown-up time with our vacations. One of the reason that we have enjoyed sailing with NCL is that our kids have had good experiences with the kids' program. If this happened to us, it would really put us off cruising with NCL in the future.

I would NOT want them to take in more kids than they could safely monitor or than the room was designed to hold.

Hope this helps.

Not sure why people keep coming back to safety and room capacity. The ship is huge and if the room holds only 75, take a group to play basketball on the sports court, etc etc. This is not a discussion on safety or capacity but rather offerings for their customers, nothing more nothing less. Anyone going towards the safety and capacity topic is missing the point. Of course I would not want my kids in an over capacity facility, no one would.

(And not directed toward the quote above) They also only have enough food on the garden cafe buffet to feed 150 passengers. But don't worry though, there is other food around the ship for you to eat, but if you don't get a ticket, you will have to dine elsewhere ;-) So it's not like you will go hungry. Just kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why people keep coming back to safety and room capacity. The ship is huge and if the room holds only 75, take a group to play basketball on the sports court, etc etc. This is not a discussion on safety or capacity but rather offerings for their customers, nothing more nothing less. Anyone going towards the safety and capacity topic is missing the point. Of course I would not want my kids in an over capacity facility, no one would.

(And not directed toward the quote above) They also only have enough food on the garden cafe buffet to feed 150 passengers. But don't worry though, there is other food around the ship for you to eat, but if you don't get a ticket, you will have to dine elsewhere ;-) So it's not like you will go hungry. Just kidding.

I didn't write that. I simply posted a post someone else wrote regard an email about the children's program. If you have an issue with what they said, look them up.

Here is their post, their post was in italics on my post where I copied theirs, my words were not in italics:

What does my post have anything to do with protecting NCL's interest. For God's sake, I remembered an email about the children's program from other times and thought I would post it. You are unbelievable, I didn't write the post all I wrote was: I remember there being the same issue during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. Here was one post I found: and: Hope this helps. Everything else in italics was written by the poster who got the email. If you have an issue with what that poster wrote, then I suggest you find him/her and bring up your issue with them.

What does that have to do with this new policy, (get in line, wait, get a ticket, maybe, go away if you are #77 even if your sibling gets in, go to lunch, then repeat, good luck) its not TG, Christmas or Spring Break. I have an issue with those who always find their inner Pollyanna Syndrome about any changes NCL makes.

I was looking forward to our Escape cruise, even with the new room service fee, and food to the cabin prohibition and the reducing of continental breakfast to bare minimum, but if my kids are going to be turned away from the kids club after standing in line,

I am now looking for a new cruise, hopefully one where the kids can do what they want too.

Edited by legion3

I hope this new policy fails, too. I booked NCL with the understanding my kids would be able to participate in the kids/teen clubs. I booked our cruise over a year ago and it's too late to cancel now. :mad:

I normally defend Ncl a lot, but I agree I hope this fails. I cruise to get away from the little brats, I've always said I should extend the hours of the kids club to keep them away from the rest of us lol

76 kids when they average 400-600 every sailing

You can no longer call this a family friendly cruise line if they can only accommodate 76 kids for events.

And there is no attempt to find other spaces. 76 hits, rope is up, your on your own.

I don't see any scenario where this makes things run more smoothly.

As someone pointed out earlier, people will just start camping out for tickets, this will get ugly fast. The line was already crazy this morning on day one

I now have to just make sure I have alternate plans for the kids since the can no longer come and go as they wish. They want to sleep in a little, nope sorry., You must get to camp by 9am or you won't be allowed in later and I have to get up early to get a place in line and do it 3 times a day. Fantastic vacation. Thanks ncl.

Maybe they're trying to discourage families from cruising, if that's the case I'm all for it. trust me when singles go on a cruise it's annoying to see screaming and whining kids. I have heard from many people inside Norwegian they are getting the 18 to 35 crowd more often then before. maybe they want to keep getting in that crowd and increase their numbers.

But if it's the policy on all the other cruise lines which one will you choose?

And its not really happened on Carnival. Even at peak times.

Its one thing to turn people away because of capacity, it is quite another to have a system like described.

Maybe they're trying to discourage families from cruising, if that's the case I'm all for it. trust me when singles go on a cruise it's annoying to see screaming and whining kids. I have heard from many people inside Norwegian they are getting the 18 to 35 crowd more often then before. maybe they want to keep getting in that crowd and increase their numbers.

Well the 18-35 crowd is part of the child bearing year adults.

They will never be able to fill a ship like the Escape with just 18-35 year olds.

You are just guessing and hoping, as usual.

But if they aren't in the kids club don't worry you will be able to tell.

The OP has hers swimming in your "future" haven pool. How will that be for you? ;)

I love how you think his has anything to do with dumping off kids. How about its their vacation too and they want to meet new people and play with other kids their own age and not just hang with adults.

they can meet other kids while swimming, they can meet other kids while eating or they can meet other kids at the certain shows

As an fyi, here is the thread about the children's program from Spring Break:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2186719

And nothing about this new policy, and only one person suggesting they were turned away. At peak sailing times, is that what this week is? compared to holidays and real spring break weeks.

No I'm sorry this does not excuse the reports from the GEM.

Legion I gotta say you make great points and seemed to have a great sense of humor. if that happened it would be terrible lol

Yes I do, and trust me you don't want to support the kids club is too full crowd and this is a safety issue blather. Your cruise will suck if this is going to happen all year on NCL.

I will be sailing Epic in July. Being this is such a port intensive Mediterranean cruise it shouldn't matter.

I have mostly sailed carnival. You sign them up 1st day( I have also done later)

And just bring them to whatever event they want to go to. I believe DCL was the same way. We didn't use club in RCCL.

Waiting in line Potentially 3x a day that is INSANE!!!!

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

I was not on NCL, but RCCL has a limit on each room and there are instances of people getting shut out on RCCL and Disney cruises, but never after spending 30 minutes wasting your time!!! Our kids staff told us that Easter week would be very busy for them and that even when it fills up, it's not usually for an entire session as kids come and go...76 seems like a very low number though...the ratio for school age kids should be very high 25 people per staff member or so for legal limits In the older than 5 groups!

I have cruised on Disney and RCCL a lot, and with kids. I have never ever heard or seen a kids club closed because of capacity.

Edited by knight2096

I hope this information doesn't shock you too badly, but many of the 18 to 35 crowd have children (or kids as you call them). Brace youorself and take a deep breath, because many of them will bring their "kids" WITH THEM ON YOUR CRUISE.

I hope this information doesn't shock you too badly, but many of the 18 to 35 crowd have children (or kids as you call them). Brace youorself and take a deep breath, because many of them will bring their "kids" WITH THEM ON YOUR CRUISE.

I said that the 18 to 35 party crowd and usually the party crowds tend to be single or in a relationship without kids

Ugh all the other changes I've been hearing about are fine, but not this... Will monitor this closely and if it true on the escape I'm prob going to cancel... I don't spend my vacation $$ to wait in line

Wow! Unbelievable! We have sailed during holiday times and March Break on Princess, Royal and Carnival and the line just hires more youth staff. No one is turned away! Clearly Norwegian wants to be the "no-frills" cruise line. They may have bookings now, but I suspect 2016-17 won't look to good for them! For anyone that is comparing Norwegian to Royal, Royal may cost a little more, but the value you get and the peace of mind and enjoyment you experience on your vacation will be well worth it!

Bravo and well said, I have cruised many cruise lines and have never ever seen a kids club closed or restricted due to capacity. I have even cruised on three Disney Christmas cruises with full capacity and no kids were turned away. Same with Royal and Carnival I have never seen or heard of any kids club closed or restricted because of too many kids, and I have sailed them many times on sold out cruises. Sounds to me like the cheerleaders are making up their typical BS.