Specialty Dining credit?

mja2573

Just got off the Breakaway a week ago and had the Free Specialty Dining. LOVED the food in these restaurants. I see now they are only offering a $75 specialty dining credit. Do they do this at different times? or do you think this is the new norm?

Interesting. Did not know that they limited the UDP now. When we booked our Escape Caribbean cruise next year, it was unlimited for the dining plan, and now I see it is limited to $75 for a 7-day cruise. Depending on where you eat, that is good for maybe 3 restaurants, as average is about $30 for the better ones.

I also see they reduced the SHOREX credit, used to be $75 per port per stateroom, now it's down to $50.

The internet credit is new (was not offered during the last round), but not sure I would want to give up free dining or drinking to get internet, especially when our vacation as a family is to try and get away from being connected all the time.

I am so glad we took the beverage package, I see it is no longer offered, and my guess is that NCL probably realized it is a costly thing to offer, with the heavy drinkers emptying the stock at the bars quickly.

Just got off the Breakaway a week ago and had the Free Specialty Dining. LOVED the food in these restaurants. I see now they are only offering a $75 specialty dining credit. Do they do this at different times? or do you think this is the new norm?

They just gave away many free Ultimate Dining Packages with the booking promos which offer unlimited specialty dining. They may have overdone it a tad and are taking a breather. But the UDP Packages are still available for purchase, it is just that they have changed the Booking promo from free UDP to a Dining Credit. They can change the Promo at any time.

Or it could be that they are throwing a Dining Credit baited hook out to see how many nibbles they get. If people bite, it would probably offer NCL more bang for the buck than the return on the UDP with which you could eat at Cagneys 7 nights if you wanted, vs. the credit. You use the $75 and you are done. So it could be that the current UDP as we know it may disappear, or maybe they will offer this as an additional option for people who feel that the UDP doesn't pay for them, while a dining credit makes more sense. Time will tell.

Edited by punkincc

Interesting. Did not know that they limited the UDP now. When we booked our Escape Caribbean cruise next year, it was unlimited for the dining plan, and now I see it is limited to $75 for a 7-day cruise. Depending on where you eat, that is good for maybe 3 restaurants, as average is about $30 for the better ones.

I also see they reduced the SHOREX credit, used to be $75 per port per stateroom, now it's down to $50.

The internet credit is new (was not offered during the last round), but not sure I would want to give up free dining or drinking to get internet, especially when our vacation as a family is to try and get away from being connected all the time.

I am so glad we took the beverage package, I see it is no longer offered, and my guess is that NCL probably realized it is a costly thing to offer, with the heavy drinkers emptying the stock at the bars quickly.

They don't have limits on the UDP.

This is a different promotion being offered now than when it was UDP included with a booking - that's all. Promotions change all the time trying to lure different types of cruisers.

I feel sure that purchasing the UDP is still an option for those that did not get it as a promotion. ;)

I'm waiting to book when this promo changes. But we are interested in buying the UDP once on board or online? Do you know how much that co$ts? And whether my 1 1/2 grandson will be able to eat with us without purchasing a pkg for him? He'll eat off our plates. Thank you. Been years since I've been on NCL. So much has changed.

Edited by sunnydaygirl

My parents are cruising with us in January - regular inside cabin. If I cancel/rebook with the current promo and select the Dining credit - Will they be able to use the dining credit to pay for us when we all dine together? We can't cancel/rebook our cruise bc it was "free" thru Caesars and we'll also lose out on the kids sail free promo.

My parents are cruising with us in January - regular inside cabin. If I cancel/rebook with the current promo and select the Dining credit - Will they be able to use the dining credit to pay for us when we all dine together? We can't cancel/rebook our cruise bc it was "free" thru Caesars and we'll also lose out on the kids sail free promo.

I don't know why they couldn't just book dinner for 4 and then have the charges go against the dining credit. Of course, they would pretty much wipe out the credit in one night depending on where you eat.

I just checked to see if it was worth rebooking an inside cabin we have to get the $50 Dining credit for two instead of a $25 OBC per cabin. The fares had gone up, so we would be paying an extra $110 total just to get back two $50 credits. So make sure your fares have not gone up on the inside. Not worth it for us.