Portofinos vs Giovanni's

Hello all!

I just cruised with my GF on Independence Of The Seas and dined at Giovanni's. Prior to this cruise my last cruise was in 2008 and that ship had Portofino's.

I found that there was a difference in both restaurants, in my opinion Portofino was way better in every way.

Giovanni's to me was very mediocre at best. What happened to Portofino's? Why did they do away with it?

For whatever reason, Royal is changing all Portofinos to Giovannis. I suspect they were looking to create a less formal and more family style venue. Giovanni's is also open for lunch at times.

For whatever reason, Royal is changing all Portofinos to Giovannis. I suspect they were looking to create a less formal and more family style venue. Giovanni's is also open for lunch at times.

Where do you go to make a lunch reservation once you get on the ship?? I want to try the restaurants on sea days for lunch :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where do you go to make a lunch reservation once you get on the ship?? I want to try the restaurants on sea days for lunch :)

We go directly to the restaurant to make reservations.

Sabor and Giovanni's are the only ones open for lunch right?? And it's just on sea days???

Izumi too, and the open days probably vary by ship. As I recall on Allure, Giovanni's was open on boarding day, but I've not seen that on other ships.

I will miss portofino but will definitely try Giovanni's. "Family Style" concerns me because we not have the same food tastes.

We enjoy the change of pace/ambiance that specialty dining brings.

Our experience is that the appetizers were family style, but the entrees were individually sized.

liked Portofino but really love Giovanni s.

I really like their Chocolate cake,it has marzipan under its chocolate covering and I always have a piece to go , just to have it the next day, sitting on my balcony with a cup of tea, wish I was there now.

Our experience is that the appetizers were family style, but the entrees were individually sized.

Yes, each of us ordered different entrees. They also brought us different (smaller sized) appetizers when we requested.

Enjoy! LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

I miss the Portofino version of tiramisu (in a chocolate bowl, with fresh raspberries at the bottom and served with a B-52 shooter on the side), but I enjoyed Giovanni's.

I liked Giovanni's but from what I remember I really just enjoyed the overall experience of Portofino

I miss the Portofino version of tiramisu (in a chocolate bowl, with fresh raspberries at the bottom and served with a B-52 shooter on the side), but I enjoyed Giovanni's.

Yum, start a campaign.

Giovannis served me a spoonful from a big dish. It was tasty enough

• 1 month later...

Any idea when the change from Portofinos to GT is going to happen for Liberty? I am sailing her on November 1st and the reservation tool no longer lists Portofinos which makes me sad. I'm hoping that it's just a glitch or that at least GT will be open by then, but now thinking there will only be Chops for a 12 night cruise. Disappointed.

I will be trying Giovanni's in October for the first time! There seems to be some interesting items on the menu that I would like to try. I really did Love the Seafood Skewer at Portifino and will miss that! :cool:

Any idea when the change from Portofinos to GT is going to happen for Liberty? I am sailing her on November 1st and the reservation tool no longer lists Portofinos which makes me sad. I'm hoping that it's just a glitch or that at least GT will be open by then, but now thinking there will only be Chops for a 12 night cruise. Disappointed.

Liberty has the last Portofinos installation in the fleet according to our wait staff when we sailed her in Oct 2014 and this would change to Giovannis when she next goes into dry dock. Is she due for dry dock before your sailing?

Liberty has the last Portofinos installation in the fleet according to our wait staff when we sailed her in Oct 2014 and this would change to Giovannis when she next goes into dry dock. Is she due for dry dock before your sailing?

I see a hole in Liberty's schedule between Jan 10 and Feb 7, 2016. Maybe this is the dry dock?