2-3 Days in San Juan

cessnabmw

We are contemplating booking a Journeys cruise that leaves from San Juan and ends in Port Canaveral.

We have been to San Juan last Dec on our cruise on the Freedom. We loved it and walked 25kms that day from the port, to both the forts and old town.

This time since our cruise leaves from SJU, we plan to get there 2-3 days early. We will be coming from Toronto, so would love to just enjoy the weather, beaches and explore. We did both forts last time, so don't think we will do this again.

Questions:

2 adults and 2 kids under 10 (all mobile and active, so walking is not an issue).

1. Where should we stay for the 2-3 days prior to cruise? Airbnb? What areas?

2. What else is there to explore in San Juan?

3. What are the best beaches there?

4. Would we need to rent a car or would public transport (buses) and walking be enough?

Thanks!

1. Where should we stay for the 2-3 days prior to cruise? Airbnb? What areas? Depends what you want to do. My DD and I spent a week in PR in January. We spent the first half in Humacao where we explored the nature reserve, took a snorkeling expedition with east island excursions out of fajardo, went to El Yunque, Luquillo beach and kioskos and also 7 seas beach. We then packed up and stayed in Isabella on the West side for the last half of our trip. We went to the Rincon lighthouse, Crash Boat beach and Jobos beach. We had a great vacation rental there.

3. What are the best beaches there? We really enjoyed 7 seas beach, Crash Boat Beach and Jobos beach.

4. Would we need to rent a car or would public transport (buses) and walking be enough? You will need a car if you want to get out of San Juan.

Hello cessnabmw,

In Kitchener here, and we will be staying in San Juan ourselves before our cruise this fall.

Lots to do in San Juan. If going to OSJ I would take a cab there,anywhere else probably better to get a rental car.

All depends what you are into. El Yungue rainforest is not to be missed.

I hear the bioluminescence bay is very good. Can't comment on that because we have not been there. Mentioned a few times in this forum.

As far as hotels, there are tons to choose from in OSJ, Condado, Ocean Park, and Isla Verde areas. The last three are very nice beach areas. Choose from resort hotels to B&B guest houses.

We decided that we wanted to be right next to the ocean. Tres Palmas Inn is a guest house with only 18 rooms total. Right on the ocean and highly recommended on trip advisor. Check out their cool website, just Google them.

Edited by t_car

1. Where should we stay for the 2-3 days prior to cruise? Airbnb? What areas? Depends what you want to do. My DD and I spent a week in PR in January. We spent the first half in Humacao where we explored the nature reserve, took a snorkeling expedition with east island excursions out of fajardo, went to El Yunque, Luquillo beach and kioskos and also 7 seas beach. We then packed up and stayed in Isabella on the West side for the last half of our trip. We went to the Rincon lighthouse, Crash Boat beach and Jobos beach. We had a great vacation rental there.

3. What are the best beaches there? We really enjoyed 7 seas beach, Crash Boat Beach and Jobos beach.

4. Would we need to rent a car or would public transport (buses) and walking be enough? You will need a car if you want to get out of San Juan.

El Yunque sounds like something we would love to see. Will definitely check out the other places you have mentioned as well.

Hello cessnabmw,

In Kitchener here, and we will be staying in San Juan ourselves before our cruise this fall.

Lots to do in San Juan. If going to OSJ I would take a cab there,anywhere else probably better to get a rental car.

All depends what you are into. El Yungue rainforest is not to be missed.

I hear the bioluminescence bay is very good. Can't comment on that because we have not been there. Mentioned a few times in this forum.

As far as hotels, there are tons to choose from in OSJ, Condado, Ocean Park, and Isla Verde areas. The last three are very nice beach areas. Choose from resort hotels to B&B guest houses.

We decided that we wanted to be right next to the ocean. Tres Palmas Inn is a guest house with only 18 rooms total. Right on the ocean and highly recommended on trip advisor. Check out their cool website, just Google them.

Thanks t_Car!!

Will definitely plan for El Yunque.

Will also check out Tres Palmas and we need to find some really good beaches.

I think a car rental would be great to around maybe.

We have been to San Juan last Dec on our cruise on the Freedom. We loved it and walked 25kms that day from the port, to both the forts and old town.

1. Where should we stay for the 2-3 days prior to cruise? Airbnb? What areas?

3. What are the best beaches there?

4. Would we need to rent a car or would public transport (buses) and walking be enough?

1. You might consider the Condado/Isla Verde area for hotels close to beaches. Since you're thinking about El Yunque, you could also consider staying in the Luquillo/Fajardo area. It's a 45 minute drive from San Juan. In addition to El Yunque you've got 7 Seas and Luquillo beaches, and also a Biobay tour in Fajardo.

4. Once you get out of the San Juan area renting a car makes things a lot easier. Driving is not as bad as some people make out. Drive defensively and keep your eyes open. Note: traffic signs are the same shape as in rest of US but in Spanish; for example "Para" means "stop". Not that hard to pick up.

IT sounds like you have done the old city. Staying out by Farjado would probably be my next choice. Close enough to the rain forest(must do) and also right where the ferries are to go to the islands and maybe taking a catamaran trip!

I love the old city so i would still leave some time to walk around! Renting a car should be cheap enough for 3 days and the flexability will help!