London to Harwich by train

NU/Fan

Dear the UK,

We will be going from London to Harwich in September 3. There is a direct train and I have two question that my TA and two high end hotel concierges can not answer, so I know that "Cruise Critic" can come through.

1) Can you get the discounted fare on the direct train to Harwich (We can purchase 60 days out)?

2) If I can not get the discounted fare. How difficult is it to change train in Manningtree. We will have at least four pieces of luggage and some carry on. I believe we have to deal with some stairs. How my steps and are they difficult to deal with - we are senior travelers.

ThankS!!!!!!

:confused:

Edited by NU/Usher

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/MNG/stationOverview.xhtml

Hi, here is a link to station info at manningtree. There are 12 steps each side, you would need to go between platforms 2 and 3 for your journey.

I cannot find any advance (discount) tickets for the direct trains unfortunately.

A couple of questions for you, are you making a round trip or just one way, and what time of day are you going to be travelling? Those may both affect the ticket prices, as round trips can be much cheaper than 2 singles. A 1 month round trip will cost you £36.20 london/harwich/London.

hope this helpS

Scarlet

There are websites that allow a person to book tickets in advance, I have used tthetrainline.com before personally.

http://www.thetrainline.com

You can book tickets 60 days in advance but to get the best prices I would book earlier. Tickets normally go on sale 90 days in advance and the cheapest of those available in limited numbers sell out quite fast.

In fact your inability to purchase tickets now is because those 3 months have not yet come though they should be released soon.

There are websites that allow a person to book tickets in advance, I have used tthetrainline.com before personally.

http://www.thetrainline.com

You can book tickets 60 days in advance but to get the best prices I would book earlier. Tickets normally go on sale 90 days in advance and the cheapest of those available in limited numbers sell out quite fast.

In fact your inability to purchase tickets now is because those 3 months have not yet come though they should be released soon.

In fact I just checked they have gone on sale today Thurday the 4th of June, and there are a number of direct trains to Harwich International Station presumably to service your cruise ship.

For instance the 12.28 from London Liverpool Street to Harwich International arrives at 13.40.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/MNG/stationOverview.xhtml

Hi, here is a link to station info at manningtree. There are 12 steps each side, you would need to go between platforms 2 and 3 for your journey.

I cannot find any advance (discount) tickets for the direct trains unfortunately.

A couple of questions for you, are you making a round trip or just one way, and what time of day are you going to be travelling? Those may both affect the ticket prices, as round trips can be much cheaper than 2 singles. A 1 month round trip will cost you £36.20 london/harwich/London.

hope this helpS

Scarlet

Going to get on our Cruise Ship therefore only one way. I would guess that we would be traveling mid-day.

Again, many thanks!!!

Hi Ed,

That would be the 12.28 direct train mentioned in another post, and should run you around £36 per person. I hope you can access the link to London toolkit I posted above, it gives clear info on the various ways of travelling London to harwich on cruise ship departure days.cthere is a cruise shuttle bus from many London central hotels, but it is not cheap, at around £60 per person, however this will mean no taxi fares, no extras and door to door with all your luggage

happy travels

Scarlet

Hi Ed,

That would be the 12.28 direct train mentioned in another post, and should run you around £36 per person. I hope you can access the link to London toolkit I posted above, it gives clear info on the various ways of travelling London to harwich on cruise ship departure days.cthere is a cruise shuttle bus from many London central hotels, but it is not cheap, at around £60 per person, however this will mean no taxi fares, no extras and door to door with all your luggage

happy travels

Scarlet

Scarlett,

The tookit says 31.90 pounds, not 36.

Thanks for all of the help!!!