Looking for advice on a 4 day cruise on QM2

SanFranBayCruiser

My travel agent just emailed me regarding a travel agent's inspection of the QM2 in New York - apparently there is some type of travel agent's expo going on there this week. Nonetheless, my Travel Agent is encourging us to "give it a try". Keep in mind, we've sailed every line from Carnival to Crystal and most cruise lines in between and, I do want to give the QM2 a "try". A 4 day cruise sounds very appealing and a good trial run to see if we'd want to book a Transatlantic. I am 38 and my husband is 40, we have no children and prefer more laid back cruises to some of the silly and loudness games of the mainstream lines.

Here is my list of many questions:

- Does anyone have a menu or at least a price list of the Canyon Ranch Spa?

- Would you spend the extra money on a Princess or Queen's grill suite opposed to a balcony cabin? After all it is only a four day cruise but, we do have 1 port of call in Canada.

- Strangely enough of the selling points for me about the QM2 is the Planetarium. Would someone kindly elaborate about the length of the shows and if I'll understand the lectures if I am not well versed in astro-physics.

- How dressy are causal nights? For example, ladies in St. John sweater sets or is it more relaxed? How formal are formal nights? Couture gowns? (Just want to know how to start shopping for the proper attire).

- Would someone please elaborate on the dance lessons? I would love to enjoy this activity but, I'm not sure it's my husband's cup of tea. Are their gentleman hosts/partners for the dance instructions?

I'd appreciate any information on the questions above or any information you'd like to share that you might think important.

Thank you!

Hi SanFranCruiser.

The shows in the planetarium last approximately 20 minutes each, but you have to get a ticket first from the desk shown in the “Daily programme “ they only allocate 150 tickets for each show , you have to get there 5 minutes early or they don’t let you in .

We missed one show because we were helping a very confused elderly passenger find her stateroom, we went back to the issuing desk and all the tickets for later shows were gone.

We went back to the planetarium and explained to the staff member outside and he told us we would have to wait until all the ticket holders had taken their seats and if there was any room we could go in.

We didn’t bother and went to the show the following day.

Dance lessons

Don’t expect to become the next Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, unless you are very quick to learn, there were dance lessons listed, but they only lasted approximately ½ an hour each and covered most of the different dances but only one class per dance routine during our 13 day crossing.

There was 2 Line dance classes though Ye Ha.

Sorry to be negative on this subject, but we too were hoping to learn some and were very disappointed in the lack of what have been helpful to those of us with 2 left feet.

Phil

When we were on a 10 day sailing there were 3 Planetarium shows, however on a 3 day cruise there was only 1 which was repeated daily.

All of the passengers we met were not impressed with PG. I have actually been to the Queens Grill Lounge for Afternoon Tea and Cocktails on QM2 and actually prefer the Queens Room anyone may utilize. ON QE2 we did love the QGL and did not care for the Queens Room, but is special on QM2.

Dress will be somewhat different than were you on a crossing.

On both cruises there were jeans in the main dining room on casual nights. I wore Dockers on embarkation day and other times usually silk, seersucker, madras type fabrics. Stuff from Talbot’s with a Nautical Theme.

Not that many gowns were worn. I wore a long ballroom type black satin gown with a white silk blouse the first formal night as the Black and White Ball was being held. You will see many woman with mumu type blouses or caftans that are not tucked in but hanging down to there thighs. Lots of Viva Los Vegas sequins.

Was actually thinking of going on this or a crossing or on the QE2 in Europe as we have a credit from Cunard that needs to be used.

Jeanne

We took the whole family (adult children and partners) last year on a four day and loved it. We have booked a five day for 2006. We had an A Balcony cabin which was very adequate for a short trip. Britania was excellent for dining. Book your Spa/Beauty as soon as you get on the ship, appointments fill very, very quickly. Be sure and find the lounge next to the cigar lounge(walled off) lovely and relaxed for cocktails. The Library is fantastic, no need to bring reading matter. You will see everything on Formal night and will enjoy the show!

Enjoy.

B. :)

On both cruises there were jeans in the main dining room on casual nights. I wore Dockers on embarkation day and other times usually silk, seersucker, madras type fabrics. Stuff from Talbot’s with a Nautical Theme.

Jeanne

Jeanne

I was told by Cunard here in the UK that jeans were not allowed in the dining room even on a casual night. I have told my husband and son that they are not allowed to wear them and they have been out and brought more trousers!! When they see jeans in the dining room I am for the high jump!!!!! Better ask the captain to hide the gangplank!!

Elaine

The 4-day QM2 trip is a 2006 Labor Day Weekend Voyage :

Sep 2 - Sat. New York, New York - 5:30 pm.

Sep 3 - Sun. Crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

Sep 4 - Mon. Halifax, Nova Scotia - 8 am to 5 pm.

Sep 5 - Tues. Crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

Sep 6 - Wed. New York, New York.

There is also a 5-day Independence Weekend Voyage, rt. NY, with port stops in Boston, Bar Harbor and Halifax but, perhaps it is sold out by now.

Cruiserking

There is also a 3-night cruise February 22-25 from Los Angeles to Ensenada back to LA just before the QM2's first visit to Hawaii: February 25 to March 8.

I presume that she will be docked at Carnival's Long Beach port, right beside the original Queen Mary.

Alan

Hi,

My partner and I are booked on the 4-day 2006 QM2 Labor Day cruise. We cruised aboard the QM2 to the Caribbean in May 2004, but want to see the changes that are made during the refurbishment. Also, my parents are going to join us on this cruise. I think this will be a great mini vacation: a couple of days in New York followed by the 4-day cruise.

Was actually thinking of going on this or a crossing or on the QE2 in Europe as we have a credit from Cunard that needs to be used.

Jeanne

Jeanne,

A Cunard credit! Color me jealous....

Michael

Remember that review I wrote about the NYC Maiden Cruise to Nowhere 5/4/04 on QM2 and how our table was stolen in the BDR and the staff did nothing, as well as some other unpleasant things in the DR and Planetaurium. After I wrote to Cunard about it they sent us each a credit for $500 which we thought was very generous given the cost was $1,200 ppf for this 3 day sailing.

Thank you all for your wonderful information. We're booking the 4 day cruise this weekend, going with a Balcony cabin. Here's a question, I've noticed on some websites that it says some balcony cabins are in hull. Does that mean it's an obstructed view?

We are in an in hull cabin. I shall comment more on my return, but to be honest I'm expecting it to be very similar to what I am used to on the british cruise liner Aurora, which is more than adequate for our needs. Will let you know what I think on my return mid Oct.

Elaine

Archived