Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach

dktravels

Courtyard by Marriott sounds and looks good. We got a day rate for $90 so we can shower and clean up before wandering around Georgetown after spending the morning at the beach. Beats feeling like we have to tender back to the ship if we look like drowned rats. CHeck the ports of call board for lots of info on the options too.

I don't know when you are going but we are about 70 some odd days away so I'll report back in early December.

You don't need to spend the day at a hotel on 7 mile beach --unless you want to. You can spend the day at a beautiful FREE beach - just ask the taxi driver to bring you. When we got into the taxi he gave us choices....some people had purchased day passes to hotels ahead of time for those who didn't he offered to drive a little bit further and drop us at another beach. Thus the name...7 mile beach. Food and drinks were available. It was heaven. But no chairs. We sat on our towels.There was a line of taxi's to take you back...

It's up to you. You have options. I wish I could insert a photo for you.

For about $10 you can get a beach day opposite one of the hotels on SMB. The staff will set up a chair for you, and often a soft drink is included. We did this a few years ago by asking the cabdriver to drop us off at the Holiday Inn at SMB, and I have heard that other hotels do this also. There was an outdoor shower, changing room, and water toy rentals.

I have heard that the Holiday Inn changed owners, but that the same set-up is still available.

We recently did the chair with soda/bottled water coupon at the Courtyard Marriot--you don't need to pay the day rate unless you want the use of a room with a hot shower. We were the only ship in port that day, so the beach was virtually deserted. Besides the cahirs/umbrellas, you could also rent mats, kayaks, and jet skis.

It's very easy to get a taxi back to the ship, but be warned. Both coming ang going, they insisted on filling the cab before they went anywhere, which made for a considerable delay.

Yes, I think Courtyard charges $8 for a beach chair. We went ahead and did a day rate so that we can shower there and look less frightening when we head back to town and wander around. When we factored in the $16 we would have paid for the chairs, the little extra was worth it for us. But we also are not doing any excursions on this cruise so we felt we were well within our budget.

For about $10 you can get a beach day opposite one of the hotels on SMB. The staff will set up a chair for you, and often a soft drink is included. We did this a few years ago by asking the cabdriver to drop us off at the Holiday Inn at SMB, and I have heard that other hotels do this also. There was an outdoor shower, changing room, and water toy rentals.

I have heard that the Holiday Inn changed owners, but that the same set-up is still available.

Thanks for the link to your pictures, they were great. We are going to check out the Courtyard Marriott too. We may do the day rate too for the convenience.

Thanks for the link to your pictures, they were great. We are going to check out the Courtyard Marriott too. We may do the day rate too for the convenience.

I think the Courtyard is exactly where the Holiday Inn was. We arrived early, (by 9 am) and had the beach nearly to ourselves till about 11 am...and thanks for the compliment on my pics...I hope to add to them soon....Have a great cruise!

I checked on-line at the Marriott website and they have a beach resort there too. (which just finished it's renovations.) I called and they allow people to use their facilities without a charge except the beach chair/umbrella rentals, etc. They do not require you to get a room at a day rate. I called the Westin resort there also and they do require you to get a day room at $113 and you get the room from 9am-6pm. I am going to go with the Courtyard or the Marriott resort and just use their facilities, not get a room.

Does anyone know how much the cab is? And do you decide on the amount when entering the cab or is it metered?

Thanks everyone!

Even if metered - ALWAYS confirm before geting in taxi rates (for United States, Mexico for anywhere) - and per person or per taxi? Rates in Grand Cayman tend to be per person per destination. Not metered.

But - here are some rates I received not long ago - guess the price of gas is going up everywhere :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=225268

Archived