Question for Scooter Users

I have my first upcoming cruise with a scooter. I would like to ride my scooter through the embarkation process. I am concerned about the steep gangway that is used in LA to board the ships. I know my scooter won't be able to climb that angle. I know I can get wc assistance to board and my husband can pull the scooter, but that seems like such a waste. Does anyone know if there is an alternative entrance that is accessible? If not, will the cruise line have someone available to give a push up that ramp without causing a major disturbance if I ride my scooter

You should be able to ride right onto the ship. I do not recall of any excessive steep gangways at the terminals in Los Angeles. However, if it is on the steep side, there will be some crew member behind you giving you a push. I have never been pushed up on embarkation, but it seems like there is always a pusher at the various ports of call.

Relax and have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

You should be able to ride right onto the ship. I do not recall of any excessive steep gangways at the terminals in Los Angeles. However, if it is on the steep side, there will be some crew member behind you giving you a push. I have never been pushed up on embarkation, but it seems like there is always a pusher at the various ports of call.

Relax and have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Do not recommend that the OP allow his/her scooter to be pushed up the gangway. Reason being the motor can be damaged rendering the scooter useless and that would be a horrible way to begin a trip. If the scooter cannot handle the incline of the gangway generally he/she will be taken through the crew's ship entrance instead. I've had to do this at several ports.

Worse case scenario than OP transfers to a wheelchair and than place the scooter in freewheel so that a crew member could just pull the scooter up the ramp.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The simple common sense solution is to use the throttle while being pushed. Even a beginner is not going to push a scooter unless it is in “free wheel” or they are using the throttle simultaneously. In the event you have not read the handy little book that came with your scooter, please do so.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

I urge you to use extreme caution when entering on to the gangway when embarking on a scooter. Two weeks ago while embarking the Celebrity Silhouette my scooter turned over backwards just as I started up the gangway. There was no one these to assist my DH and I and he was carrying the carry ons. I may have used too much throttle thinking I would need it to get up the steep hill. When the front wheel hit the gangway, it went up in the air and turned over. I felt it going and unsuccessfully reached for the rail--in vain. My husband put his foot out and caught my head so, fortunately, it did not hit the pavement.

Please ask for assistance if you are boarding with a scooter. I almost had a catastrophe before my vacation even began.

Knolmom, thanks for the warning, the steep embarkation ramps in San Pedro when i've boarded the few cruises I've been on are too steep for my scooter on its own. Given your experience, if The cruise line can't provide an alternate entrance, I will just have to be pushed in a wheelchair and have my husband drag the scooter.

Be very careful. When disemarking on that steep gangway in LA one time the crewmember grabbed my mother's upper arm when attempted to assist her in her power chair (which frankly was not needed). She sustained a significant strain to her shoulder muscles from this. Be in charge, and don't let anyone do anything to you or your chair except at your specific direction.