What cruise is best for a solo travels that wants to spend time alone?

fritzov

I'm to book my first ever cruise and I'm looking to spend some time alone with some good food and just relax. What cruises would be good but not to expensive for a solo traveler. Im located in Scandinavia.

I'm to book my first ever cruise and I'm looking to spend some time alone with some good food and just relax. What cruises would be good but not to expensive for a solo traveler. Im located in Scandinavia.

Fritzov, The nice thing about traveling solo is that you are the one who gets to decide how much to interact with the other passengers and staff. You can choose to spend time alone and relax, or you can choose to be constantly going, or somewhere in between. I think you will find that on pretty much any cruise line you choose to sail on. I have always traveled solo and on most of the mass market lines and have not had a problem finding alone time on any of them. I enjoy a good book to relax with when I am cruising, so I do find alone time to just sit back and read and watch the water sail by. Good luck in your search. Neil

What is your budget,since not too expensive can mean different things to different people.

Do you want to cruise in Europe?

For a first cruise to keep the cost of flying down i would prefer somewhere in europe. I would say my current budget would be around 1k US for the cruise not including airfare.

I suppose an important consideration would be the type of dining arrangements available on a particular cruise line. For example, I'm a fan of NCL because I never have a problem getting a table to myself in the dining room. Other lines - even if they offer some form of unassigned seating - might not be this flexible with unshared tables for solos.

Now, whether NCL's food is "good" is another question, but it's always been OK with me. ;-)

I suppose you would have to fly to the UK to get on an NCL cruise.

Edited by mtwingcpa

I suppose an important consideration would be the type of dining arrangements available on a particular cruise line. For example, I'm a fan of NCL because I never have a problem getting a table to myself in the dining room. Other lines - even if they offer some form of unassigned seating - might not be this flexible with unshared tables for solos.

Now, whether NCL's food is "good" is another question, but it's always been OK with me. ;-)

I suppose you would have to fly to the UK to get on an NCL cruise.

That's a great point, i would for sure like to eat my meals at alone at my own table.

That's a great point, i would for sure like to eat my meals at alone at my own table.

I've never had a problem doing that on any of my cruises where I asked. They were on NCL, RCCL, and HAL. Perhaps I was just lucky, or it could be that most if not all cruise lines are fine with solos sitting solo. :)

I've never had a problem doing that on any of my cruises where I asked. They were on NCL, RCCL, and HAL. Perhaps I was just lucky, or it could be that most if not all cruise lines are fine with solos sitting solo. :)

I hope that's the case, but i don't have any cruise experience so i don't know thats why i thought it was a good point. But according to your input it doesn't seem to be an issue.

NCL cruises from Copenhagen which may interest you?

I have done 2 transatlantics with NCL and had no problems doing anything on my own terms. I enjoyed pleasing myself with no effort needed to please anyone else. There is lots of company and activities if desired but absolutely no pressure to do so.

Hope you find yourself a good cruise!

NCL cruises from Copenhagen which may interest you?

I have done 2 transatlantics with NCL and had no problems doing anything on my own terms. I enjoyed pleasing myself with no effort needed to please anyone else. There is lots of company and activities if desired but absolutely no pressure to do so.

Hope you find yourself a good cruise!

Yes it may very well interest me but the single fares are a bit to expensive, compare what you can get for a cruise in the Mediterranean.

If you're out and about on the ship, and definitely want it to be "alone" time, a pair of headphones act as a great signal that you don't want to start up a conversation (even if they're not plugged into anything ;) )

Some people may feel sorry for you, and try to engage you in conversation, or include you in activities. Be nice when turning them down, so that they will still ask the next solo they see who may be longing for someone to talk to them.

If you can get a balcony (which may be more difficult on a budget) you can have even more alone time, and eat meals out there. Obviously you can eat meals in a non-balcony cabin too, a balcony just makes it nicer. Having said that, I switch between balconies and interiors all the time.

Do an internet search for solo cruise specials, singles cruise specials and other variations, and you'll come up with a few options. I know that Pullman Tours often seem to have some good solo rates, but based on feedback from one couple that took a cruise with them a month ago, I'd be very wary, and would certainly avoid school breaks by the sounds of things.