First time on Norwegian Sky-Any Tips?

gpgirl

Hi,

Will be sailing in a few weeks on Norwegian Sky with 2 adults and 3 kids for a three night cruise.

1) Is there a formal night on this cruise?

2) The white hot party is on this cruise and not Glow party correct?

3) Any adult pool or adult sundeck and hot tubs? If so, where located?

Any other tips to help us enjoy our cruise? Thank you!

We were on a 4 night in late May. With most schools still in session, there weren't many kids but the ship was packed.

1. No formal night, although we did see some dressed up the last night.

2. White Hot party around the pool. I think the night of GSC.

3. No adult-specific areas that I saw. There is a shallow kids splash pool forward on deck 11, I think.

Additional tips:

There are screens showing seating availability in all restaurants for dinner. Green dot - come on in. Red dot - try another time.

You can make reservations for the MDR's. They won't be necessary the first night, but MDR occupancy increased as the cruise progressed.

We had a blast on the Waverunner tour. I think it was $69 for a single but $99 for 2 riding the same waverunner.

Watch for the iguanas on GSC.

Most people didn't take advantage, but the Library prints a crossword, a sudoku and a trivia quiz every day by 10:00 a.m. I think. With pencils available.

Edited by BamaVol

We are going on the same cruise this next week and booked the Wave runner tour. Is there a safe place to leave bags when you are on tour or should I bring stuff in a waterproof backpack during ride? Thanks!

The Sky was our first cruise back in 2009. She got us hooked on cruising. We really enjoyed that cruise.

My BFF and I are going on the Sky in Dec, and it will be her first cruise. I know she will get hooked also. LOL!! I know that it has changed some since my DH and I was onboard, and I am really looking forward to going.

Thank you so much for the input! So are the iguanas aggressive?

I also read today that the Hippo Slide on GSC is now free!

I don't think the iguanas will hurt you. They were in the 18-24" range. I just thought they were cool. I have seen much bigger at the Baccardi distillery grounds in San Juan, maybe as long as 4', but from a much greater distance. We approached the iguanas on GSC to within a couple feet.

We are going on the same cruise this next week and booked the Wave runner tour. Is there a safe place to leave bags when you are on tour or should I bring stuff in a waterproof backpack during ride? Thanks!

Although I did not know in advance, yes there is a communal locker where you can leave valuables although I'd leave everything but what's necessary back on the ship in the cabin safe. They tell you to bring cash, but there's not much worth purchasing on GSC. Bring your camera or phone for picture taking. Your id's and keycard are waterproof if you have a zipper pocket in your bathing suit that's a good place for them.

The waverunner tour was a highlight of our cruise. They asked if anyone had used them before. I raised my hand and said "once" "ten years ago". The guide told me "you're number 1". They like you to operate at 25 MPH minimum so I was obliged to keep up with the guide ahead of me. He hit max speed at around 43 MPH and I matched him. Mrs BamaVol about pooped when I caught air on his wake. She eventually settled down and enjoyed herself.

A word of caution: no hats! My wife lost hers the first 30 seconds. I warned her but she did not listen. She would give you the same advice now.

Hi,

Will be sailing in a few weeks on Norwegian Sky with 2 adults and 3 kids for a three night cruise.

1) Is there a formal night on this cruise?

2) The white hot party is on this cruise and not Glow party correct?

3) Any adult pool or adult sundeck and hot tubs? If so, where located?

Any other tips to help us enjoy our cruise? Thank you!

There is a great "hidden" hot tub above the bridge on top in front...we spent many hours having drinks and enjoyed relative quiet up there on our 3 day SKY cruise in February.

More Sky tips:

Brush up on your Spanish. Many Sky guests are locals. Sky sails from Miami. Spanish is spoken by a majority. All crew speak English but if you want to interact with fellow passengers, a little Spanish knowledge helps. Our cruise was skewed a little further in that there were over 700 guests from Mexico.

The official capacity is around 2,000. Our cruise must have had every bed filled. Announced attendance was over 2,400. If yours is like that, some services will be taxed at times (read: the buffet - especially breakfast the day of disembarkation).

Ice water is provided in ports at the embarkation point. You will be grateful.

You can rinse your feet in fresh water as you get on the tender at GSC. Ask if you don't see how.

Upon leaving Miami, Captain Pelle stopped a couple miles offshore. You will have the opportunity to watch the sun set over Miami. There is an open deck aft on deck 11 with buffet food and a bar for drinks. It is a very relaxing place to start your cruise. We sat there every night after dinner. Seats may be hard to come by during meal times. There is a canvas roof over some seats for shade. Those seats will stay dry if it's raining.

If you purchase a wine package, you do not have to drink it in the dining room. Any bar can supply it. On the aforementioned deck, you will be given plastic rocks cups, however. In the dining room, they are real wine glasses.

If you don't mind lugging your bags, freestyle disembarkation is the way to go. Easy peasy.

If you can use the stairs, do so. I saw less waiting for elevators than on MOTS, but it can still be annoying. In 4 days, we took 2 elevator rides. The stairs are good for the legs and psyche. For me no waiting = no stress.

Edited by BamaVol

More Sky tips:

Brush up on your Spanish. Many Sky guests are locals. Sky sails from Miami. Spanish is spoken by a majority. All crew speak English but if you want to interact with fellow passengers, a little Spanish knowledge helps. Our cruise was skewed a little further in that there were over 700 guests from Mexico.

The official capacity is around 2,000. Our cruise must have had every bed filled. Announced attendance was over 2,400. If yours is like that, some services will be taxed at times (read: the buffet - especially breakfast the day of disembarkation).

Ice water is provided in ports at the embarkation point. You will be grateful.

You can rinse your feet in fresh water as you get on the tender at GSC. Ask if you don't see how.

Upon leaving Miami, Captain Pelle stopped a couple miles offshore. You will have the opportunity to watch the sun set over Miami. There is an open deck aft on deck 11 with buffet food and a bar for drinks. It is a very relaxing place to start your cruise. We sat there every night after dinner. Seats may be hard to come by during meal times. There is a canvas roof over some seats for shade. Those seats will stay dry if it's raining.

If you purchase a wine package, you do not have to drink it in the dining room. Any bar can supply it. On the aforementioned deck, you will be given plastic rocks cups, however. In the dining room, they are real wine glasses.

If you don't mind lugging your bags, freestyle disembarkation is the way to go. Easy peasy.

If you can use the stairs, do so. I saw less waiting for elevators than on MOTS, but it can still be annoying. In 4 days, we took 2 elevator rides. The stairs are good for the legs and psyche. For me no waiting = no stress.

We just went on the Sky after many years. The Captain was Captain Pelle. We were soooooooooo impressed! He was so great on the public address system as well when we saw him around the ship. So informative and nice to everyone he met.

We just went on the Sky after many years. The Captain was Captain Pelle. We were soooooooooo impressed! He was so great on the public address system as well when we saw him around the ship. So informative and nice to everyone he met.

We were impressed with the entire executive crew. When they were introduced by the cruise director, they each had a signature dance move. Hilarious.

Thanks for the Waverunner info.... I will be riding on the back with my 20 year old daughter driving! Should be interesting. I just wanted to bring sunscreen for later in the day and maybe some other stuff.... don't want to have to tender back to the ship. What did you mean by communal lockers?

Thanks for the Waverunner info.... I will be riding on the back with my 20 year old daughter driving! Should be interesting. I just wanted to bring sunscreen for later in the day and maybe some other stuff.... don't want to have to tender back to the ship. What did you mean by communal lockers?

Picture a wooden cabinet with shelves. There is a pair of doors on the front with a padlock. Everyones stuff goes in the cabinet. It's not like you have an individual locker that only you can open. It's secure but not so much.

Sky is my favorite of 3 NCL ships I have taken. Also been on Star and Epic. The layout is very easy to navigate.

A nice alternative to the buffet is Il Adagio just off the pool area. Omelettes/waffles and other breakfast items in the morning and pasta and pizza midday. Went there regularly.

Outrigger lounge at the front of the ship is a nice large quiet bar. A lot of windows with great views.

I liked the aft MDR. A lot of windows there too.

For smokers, the back of deck 12 is a nice option for those who want to avoid the busy pool smoking area.

The staff is excellent. Quite friendly and helpful.

The ship is beautiful. Nice pastel colors in most public areas.

The comedian at the time, late April was Russ Rivas. Great routine and even the adult show didn't have foul talk and cursing which I appreciated.

Happy sailing. I love Sky.

More Sky tips:

As one of the many Sky guests who are locals, I can assure you that your cruise's language situation was only skewed by the 700 Mexicans. Miami is an international city where many languages are spoken but most people are capable of English, thanks. We are not some third world country that can't learn "Merican".

As one of the many Sky guests who are locals, I can assure you that your cruise's language situation was only skewed by the 700 Mexicans. Miami is an international city where many languages are spoken but most people are capable of English, thanks. We are not some third world country that can't learn "Merican".

I did not mean to offend. I have read as long ago as 2008 that the Spanish speaking population of Miami outnumbers the English speakers. Yes, I realize that many speak both. But I find they're more open to conversation when I address them in Spanish. I met several fellow passengers from Miami that spoke Spanish. I agree that 700 Mexicans skewed the language meter but I don't think that was the only factor at play.

I am a native who has lived here very nearly 50 years. My family has been in South Florida for over 200 years (no joke). While those who do not speak English in the home has become the majority, unless you are hanging in Little Havana or Hialeah the major language outside the home and for business, etc. is still English. I appreciate that you did not mean to offend, but you could have the effect of worrying non-Spanish speakers that they could have a difficult time on their cruise. That would not be the case.

And if you addressed me in Spanish, I am afraid you would get pretty much a blank stare as I don't speak it and still manage just fine.

I appreciate that you did not mean to offend, but you could have the effect of worrying non-Spanish speakers that they could have a difficult time on their cruise.

I don't speak Spanish (although I wish I did), and I wasn't worried.

When I took Sky in late April, they told us there were guests from 46 countries on board. It was fascinating, like the United Nations cruise. I was surprised so many for a 4 night cruise. Many of them included the cruise on a longer trip around the US. Great time.