Carnival Cruise Ports

JOANN226

I read a review somewhere that Carnival cruise ports in Hawaii are not the same as other cruise lines, that they were in an industrial area near nothing. I am going in September on the Carnival Cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver. I want to rent a car in each port and if it is not the normal ports I don't know how to get a car rental shuttle at the port. So if anyone has done this can you help me out.

Thanks so much

Joann

Looks like they are Kahlua, Hilo, Kona, and Nawiliwili. Same as the Pride of America. The shuttles from the car rental companies go to these ports. Have fun! Renting a car really is the best way to see the islands, in my opinion. :)
\

Greatlakesgirl is correct -- Maui is the only one that is different from some other lines. Many go to Lahaina which is much nicer -- the downside is it is a tender port -- Kahului is docked.

We aren't happy with Kahului on our upcoming Miracle R/T cruise --- we don't get in until 10:00 and it's only one day. Another time on Carnival we had two days and being docked at Kahului was great.

Be sure to do your research and book your car rentals ahead of time -- the rental car shuttles will often not pick up anyone without a reservation. -- they sell out.

Aloha!

Hi Joann,

Suggest using Discount Hawaii Car Rental for pricing, shuttle info and to book (it's an agency in Hawaii that books with the major rental agencies - Alamo, Avis, Budget, etc, usually at a discounted price.) No advance payment - just like renting directly with the rental companies, you pay when you pick the vehicle up.

Here's the link to their website. For location, note that it gives the option of choosing the cruise port that you'll be in. e.g. under Maui - scroll down to "Cruise Passengers -> Kahului".

Shuttle info is provided on this page. Click on the name of the port and it will show shuttle details for each brand. (Note that they use "Brand" instead of the name of the rental company - but when you make your booking, it will be directly with one of the major agencies.)

For Kona, suggest using Dollar at the King Kam Hotel location as it's just across the street from the pier - it will be more expensive than agencies at the airport, but will save the time required for a shuttle there and back ... well worth it IMO with a 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. day in Kona.

Edited by Susan-M

We're bummed -- Dollar at the King Kam was just a tad more expensive than the airport for years -- they finally figured it out. We got pricing for our upcoming October cruise and the cheapest sub-compact was substantially more than we used to pay for a convertible.

Just can't justify it -- :(

• 4 weeks later...

The rental in Kona at king Kam is significantly higher than the others. When we did this cruise in 2013 and when preparing for it again this year we rented thru discounthawaiirentalcars. About a week or so before we departed in 2013 our itinerary was changed for the 2nd time and this changed Kona from a Sunday allowing us to use enterprise which has a shuttle to port. This time we are still scheduled to come in on Sunday so we will use budget at the airport requiring a taxi. We rented in every port and brought our own gps. We will do that again in October. It was the way to go in our opinion.

Hi Joann,

Suggest using Discount Hawaii Car Rental for pricing, shuttle info and to book (it's an agency in Hawaii that books with the major rental agencies - Alamo, Avis, Budget, etc, usually at a discounted price.) No advance payment - just like renting directly with the rental companies, you pay when you pick the vehicle up.

Here's the link to their website. For location, note that it gives the option of choosing the cruise port that you'll be in. e.g. under Maui - scroll down to "Cruise Passengers -> Kahului".

Shuttle info is provided on this page. Click on the name of the port and it will show shuttle details for each brand. (Note that they use "Brand" instead of the name of the rental company - but when you make your booking, it will be directly with one of the major agencies.)

For Kona, suggest using Dollar at the King Kam Hotel location as it's just across the street from the pier - it will be more expensive than agencies at the airport, but will save the time required for a shuttle there and back ... well worth it IMO with a 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. day in Kona.

Thank you for all the info, I booked with discount Hawaii car rental. I am going to check on the Dollar at King Kam Hotel

Joann