Cancellation Questions?

Wine Luvuh

I just found out last night that my Dad is going to have open heart surgery 3 days before we are supposed to leave on our cruise. :( I have a few questions that I hope some of you might be able to give me some insight on. This is my first cruise so I want to know what I will be expecting when I call Carnival.

1st – With final payment being made, will they let me switch to another cruise another week depending on availability?

2nd – If I purchase the insurance, will they let me switch weeks or will they just refund our money and we will have to completely rebook the trip?

3rd – Does the price for trip insurance go up as you get closer to the cruise and can you add it at any time before you go?

Thanks for your help!! You guys are a wealth of knowledge!!

First - my prayers to your Dad & family. I'm not sure you can purchase insurance after final payment and if you can it's going to be very expensive. I would call your TA or Carnival and explain the situation - my mother went into the hospital 10 days before her cruise with lung problems and her doctor told her to cancel. It doesn't always happen but Carnival refunded their money (they did not purchase insurance since they booked the trip last minute) and gave them a credit toward a future cruise.

You can purchase travel insurance up until the day before you leave... however, you can only get the pre existing condition clause if you book within 7-14 days of the deposit (some policies vary, but this is about average)... I'm not sure you could purchase it now and then turn around and get your money back from the cruise, since you already know that he is having surgery... That would be a pre existing condition :( You can still get 50% of your cruise fare back if you cancel now... Generally you just have to cancel, not switch dates... call whoever you booked with and discuss this situation with them and see what happens.

Good luck and prayers to your dad...

Hey guys,

If this a re-post, my appologies. Thanks for your help with this. I talked to Carnival and they switched us to the same cruise 2 weeks later for just the change in fare. They were very nice and understanding.

Thanks for your well wishes too!!

Archived