Eagle Preserve Float - maybe not in June

D&J38

We just returned from our Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Jewel. Our splurge for an excursion (over $200 each) was for the Eagle Preserve Float out of Skagway. Unfortunately it was the biggest disappointment of the cruise, and briefly, my suggestion is that if it's too early for the salmon to be running, don't choose this excursion.

We were blessed with incredibly nice weather in Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau and Victoria. Unfortunately Skagway was the ONLY really cold & miserable day of the trip, and I KNOW a lot of folks probably have an entire cruise of cold, miserable days and put up with it. It's NOT that we weren't prepared for cold weather--we had the knit hats, scarves, hooded jackets, gloves, boot socks, etc. But this was a miserable day.

We took the "fast ferry" to Haines, and "Liz" on the ferry provided a great narration including what it's like to try to get groceries in Skagway. She was a delight, really. The ferry is enclosed and comfortable with restrooms as well as complimentary coffee, etc.

Arriving at Haines, we walked up a steep ramp to the end of the pier (more nice bathrooms there) and got on a bus with Tom Lang, who was also a delight. He's a wonderful, enthusiastic man (he writes little books about the wildlife which sounded fascinating). Tom kept us well entertained on the bus ride to the Bald Eagle Preserve. Upon arrival we were served a lunch of assorted sandwiches and chips after being fitted with rubber boots; they take your shoes back on the bus to the spot downstream where you'll be getting off the river. You can also borrow more jackets or sweatshirts. There's one more chance to use an outhouse if necessary. I was so glad I had hand wipes with me, because their sanitizer bottle was empty. After lunch, time to put on a life vest. Then onto the rubber inflatable boat with six to eight passengers each plus the guide. The guide sits on a box in the middle, and the passengers sit on the edges, holding on to a rope or a strap. That part wasn't scary, because the river wasn't rough at all. On our day there were six boats with guides as well as other staff to drive the bus and the truck and help with the gear. Believe me, all the staff were wonderful and work VERY HARD moving everything around--the lunches, the tables, the bins of boots, jackets and life vests, and the BOATS. Our boat rower was a sweet girl named Lesley, and I can't believe how strong she was to row that boat seven miles down the river facing unusually strong winds.

BUT the first week in June is too early in the season for the salmon to be running (to attract the eagles to the river), and therefore while we saw about four eagles sitting high up in trees, and one big nest, that was it. Oh--and a couple terns. Lesley spotted one eagle flying in the distance. We saw more eagles on the roofs and docks in Ketchikan than we saw on this excursion, and we were SO looking forward to it.

I was never so happy to see land and get off that river and back on the bus, down the pier, back on the ferry and back on the ship. It made for a long day (6.5 hours), and the wind was what made it extra cold. We should have had masks on our FACES! Yes, thank goodness it wasn't raining there!

So I do hate to complain, and I do not fault the staff at all because they were great. I acknowledge that seeing wildlife in Alaska is always a crapshoot, but I just think that if it's too early for the salmon to be attracting the eagles, maybe this trip shouldn't be run until a few weeks later into the season. And I'm pretty sure everyone involved with it KNOWS that's the case. (And with better effort, I probably could have researched it.) At least if you're thinking about this one, you've been warned!

We did talk to other passengers who'd done it before and enjoyed it, but later in the season.

I'd enjoy hearing from anyone who had a better experience than this--I'm pretty sure you're out there!

Janice

I did this excursion at the end of July and the salmon weren't running yet. We only saw a handful of eagles. It started sprinkling shortly after we got on the rafts and it was soon pouring rain. We had so much fun, with a great guide and really fun people on our raft! We enjoyed the ride and the scenery, and never really expected to see many eagles that time of year. Our tour had lunch after the float, so we ended up huddled in the bus to stay out of the rain as we ate. Some people might have been disappointed with the weather, but for us, the rain just made it a memorable Alaska experience.

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with this excursion. I loved it so much I bought one of their t-shirts and remember that great day whenever I wear it.