Getaway - does this eating/shows plan look ok ?

weebobby

Hi does the below look ok given what availability I have to work with online in MyNCL for our June 27th Getaway trip. We are not on the UDP dining package ( took UBP beverage package ) but would like to eat in a few Specialty restaurants. I was thinking of booking the two restaurants I know we will try and then working out the rest of our dining once onboard and once we are familiar with the ship. We will also try Main Dining room on first night we like the menu , Shanghais etc

27th depart 4pm.

La Cucina Italian @ 7.30pm

28th at sea.

Teppanyaki @ 7.30pm

29th at sea.

Book Burn the Floor show @ 7.30pm (eat before or after)

30th Virgin islands till 6pm.

1st Virgin islands till 4pm.

Book Legally Blonde @ 730 (eat before or after)

2nd Illusionarium 845 includes dinner.

3rd Bahamas till 7pm.

4th Leave ship.

The only change I'd make is to replace La Cuchina with Cagneys or Moderno (if possible - and certainly in my opinion :o - and if you are a meat eater).

La Cuchina was my least favorite restaurant.

If you like salmon, you can request that as a dinner choice at Illusinarium (sp?). My salmon was delicious. The rest in my group of 14 had the main option - steak and shrimp. Majority opinion was their meal was "ok". Enjoy the Magic show!

We had the UDP on the Getaway this past spring, so we tried most of the specialty dining options. The only regrets we had were not eating at Moderno. We didn't particularly enjoy La Cucina, felt like we could eat Olive Garden at home and be just as satisfied (and we LOVE Italian!) We also loved Teppanyaki and Cagney's (ate there 2X). Le Bistro was ok but we didn't have the greatest service. Illusionarium was not the best food but our daughter enjoyed the show. We only ate in 1 of the main dining rooms, Tropicana I believe (?) and we were not thrilled with the food there. We discovered later we could have had the same thing at the buffet.

Enjoy your cruise! We loved the Getaway and will be back on her next spring as well!

We had sushi the afternoon of the day we went to the Illusionarium. We've had that dinner they serve in the Illusionarium before and knew we wouldn't want it. We asked for salmon and just kind of picked at the dinner. The salmon was marginally better than the fillet mignon and shrimp but the whole dinner is just eh. I wish they would drop the dinner part of the show and just turn the venue into show and drinks. That's all that is needed.

La Cucina - food is absolutely a disaster. It is hard to explain or understand how they can screw up Italian food so bad but they manage to make the worst Italian food I've ever had. The restaurant is very pretty though.

We thought the best restaurants on this ship were (in order of preference):

Le Bistro

Cagney's

Raw Bar (we had several sashimi preparations)

Ocean Blu

Sushi

Moderno (done very well, but waaaaaaay toooooo much food!)

We didn't try Shanghai's noodle bar, so don't know about that one at all. We also never got to the Flamingo grill, but others who have said it was good for breakfast or lunch.

Ok so now I am thinking:

27th depart 4pm.

nothing - DO CERTAIN RESTAURANTS GET VERY BUSY ON NIGHT ONE AND OTHERS ARE QUIET?

28th at sea.

Moderno Brazilian @ 7.30pm.

29th at sea.

Book Burn the Floor show @ 7.30pm (eat before or after)

30th Virgin islands till 6pm.

Teppanyaki @ 7.30pm

1st Virgin islands till 4pm.

Cagneys @ 7.30pm

2nd at Sea

Book Legally Blonde @ 730 (eat before or after)

3rd Bahamas till 7pm. (Might do Italian at 8pm )

4th Leave ship.

A few questions (this is our first cruise)...

1) Any recommendations for the first night ? is it good to have something booked in the madness of everyone wandering the ship on day 1 ?

2) Do you prefer to have a specialty restaurant booked on the days your in Port as you dont have to think about what your going to do once you get back on ship. you just shower and go out for your dinner. Or is it the opposite and you don't want to have anything booked after a day on land as you might eat on land a big lunch and not ant a big dinner?