Tulum tours

emmaco

Hi ,we will be on Cozumel in late October and was wondering who booked this (Tulum ruins) tour with Carnival. Did you like it and would you recommend it. Also, is there time to go snorkling after. We're in port 7:00 a.m.till 10:00 p.m.

I broke off from the tour once we were at the site and photographed as many buildings as I could. I gave my camera gear to my family and I went for a quick swim at the beach. I met up with my family back at the eating and shopping area near the buses. I had my corona and chips and salsa, relaxed before boarding the bus.

Hectic...yes but worth it. Great memories and Great Photos.

Photocruiser

Tulum is one of the most beautiful locations on earth. It's on top of a cliff area with a beautiful view of the Gulf (you can see the channel through the reef from up high...just thinking about the old Spanish ships that commonly ran aground there is a little frightening though to think about) and a decent beach below to boot. There's quite a bit of some of the buildings left so there's plenty to see in that respect. No matter how you work it, it will be a hectic day and yes, you probably won't get to see everything you want to but IMO it's definately worth the trip especially if you get a great tour guide (we had one that was outgoing, funny and of course very knowledgeable).

We went to Tulum a few years ago - we were on a land vacation staying at the Ritz in Cancun and the bus left from the hotel. Tulum is really extraordinary!! We had a guide that was a Mayan descendent and he was very good. We climbed on the ruins all the way to the top of the temples. It seemed quite odd that Mexico would allow the ruins to be climbed on, but they did. They do charge extra if you have a video camera :confused: but digitals and 35mm were no problem. It is a truly beautiful place and you must see it sometime. You are lucky to have so much time in Coz! our ship is only there from 7am to 4:30pm, so not enough time to comfortably go to Tulum. I wish I could show my niece the ruins, but she'll just have to do it another time.

Now, I will admit, I did this thru Disney cruise last year-but it cost $180 for the 2 of us & I would spend it again in a heartbeat to do it. We paid the $5 extra(big whoop) so my dh could video it & now we will have it forever. Our guide was Mayan too.

The ferry ride from Coz almost made me hurl(& I do NOT get seasick), and I was told the key is to be in the bottom(I wanted the top deck for the view, silly me)and in the middle & sure enough, on the way back...much less sick.

They ran us over to our bus thru the streets of Playa Del Carmen, but if I can do it, most folks can. They then stopped about 1/2 way on our bus to let us shop...and it actually wasn't that bad, I got my grandma some nice silver/turquoise & malachite earrings at a good price.

The ruins totally rock-wow doesn't cover it. And you can go swimming there! And then go shopping there! Everyone wants to bargain with you on anything of value(postcards, no, tshirts yes). I got my magnet, postcards, tshirts for gifts & books about the ruins. Everyone I shopped for was happy!

I was unhappy because I tripped & hurt myself & hubby was a jerk about it...and then got grumpy because I forgot to tell him about bargaining & the grabby sales folks freaked him. But, even with all of that, I would do it all again! And the knee to ankle scraping did NOT leave a scar...and gave me something to talk about with fellow cruisers...although you can really see it in pictures during the rest of the cruise. And I tripped on the sand & had to go in the ocean to rinse it off. But my tour guide freaked when we got on the bus & used hydrogen peroxide to clean it off(and his supervisor made me sign a waiver...which I dont' really care about, since it was just a flesh wound).

In closing: DO THIS TRIP!! How many Mayan ruins can you see at home??;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived