Rotterdam Internet

calteacher

We are currently on the Rotterdam. After spending abut 50 minutes trying to get our e-mail, we finally asked the Internet person in the explorations lounge. She did give us back 30 minutes as the internet was down and then told us that it was very difficult to get Yahoo e-mail--rarely would it go through. So, beware if you have a yahoo e-mail account and check with the person in the library who is in charge of the internet to see if other ships are also having problems with Yahoo.

She told me that Seattle recently upgraded some aspects of the internet and in doing so really did a job on yahoo. So, we have wasted $100 on the internet as we only seem to be able to get our mail when we are off the ship and using other methods of obtaining the internet.

Other than the fact that it was cold and drizzly in Tallinn, Estonia today, we're having a great time. The ship is in beautiful condition. The bathrooms have been completely upgraded and it looks like new carpet where ever we go.

I sail soon on the Rotterdam and have been looking for reports/reviews, and there are none. I expected this as have sailed on her before and most guests are Dutch and not a lot on CC. No roll call. Glad to hear she is in good shape.

So any info/tips you can pass along are appreciated. I will ask about internet before signing up. I have gmail right now - hope it works.

Those traveling up north to the fjords be aware there may be no internet at all for longer periods. On our trip to North Cape last year the ship even changed course several times, trying to get a lock on the satellites again. On the other hand you may have cellphone 3G signal during the "scenic cruising" stages. Cost for that depends of course on your roaming plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on Rotterdam a month or so ago and we couldn't connect to Yahoo mail for the entire 18 days. G mail worked but not Yahoo. I assumed that they were blocking the site. Wi-Fi was slow but better late at night.

IMHO internet connectivity is totally stone age, and I for one would even be willing to pay a little more for a faster connection.

Bob

Imagine going on a cruise 20-30 years ago when there was no internet or smart phones. Could you imagine ! When my DW and I went on our cruise this past February, I gave our family , contact numbers for us on the ship and turned my Iphone off when I embarked and turned it back on 7 days later. If I had to depend on the internet for any reason that could be a concern for being away on a cruise , I would probably reconsider my cruise. But then again thats just me , I understand everyone has different circumstances.

I open my wifi and see what the MBPS rate is before I even log on. If it's too low, I don't even try.

I look at my wifi connections, and it gives me the signal strength and speed.

Hopefully, with telephone concierge, I can get them to print out our boarding pass.

Still I wonder, why are the cruise bookings staff able to get much faster connections? At least that's what it looks like on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess.

Edited by knittinggirl

We are on an excursion in Stockholm and had no problem getting Yahoo at this restaurant. My dh finally opened a gmail account for our children to reach us. Just wanted to warn others to think before committing to spend $100 for internet use.