Cunard QM2 August 11, 2015 Westbound

thomas757

• 3 weeks later...

We Have recently booked so we will be on board also.

This will be our First ever Transatlantic voyage. So really looking forward to it.

We did a taster cruise on the QM2 on the 12 th December last year. We fell in love with the ship, so we just had to book this QM2 Voyage

We are Gary & Stefan from York UK

Cheers

We have only done a little 3 night cruise on the QM2 in December last year.

We really like the ship and when we saw the 3 Queens in Liverpool in May we decided we NEEDED to do a Trans Atlantic.

We have never had so many Seadays in a row, so will be interesting to see how it goes, Although there does look to be some good Guest speakers Onboard!

Cheers

Gary & Stef

So glad that I found this site!

My spouse, Jim, and I decided that we truly needed some downtime away from cell phones, wifi, and that particularly annoying American trend, immediate access from work even if on holiday.

Decided that the only place we could possible get that vacation experience would be a.) camping in upper Quebec; or b.) pursuing something on both our bucket lists, with a Transatlantic crossing on the QM2. Naturally, we chose b.) on a completely spontaneous decision in mid-June.

Jim has been on a small ship (<300 passengers) on a lgbt cruise in the Mediterranean in July 2006; I've never been on a ship before, although have fantasized about a crossing like this ever since I was a little boy and watched "An Affair to Remember." (And my parents were surprised I was gay??)

Surprisingly upgraded from Deck 8 to Deck 11, albeit with starboard cabin; I'd hoped for a little more sunshine on our westward crossing, but a dinghy/lifeboat-less view will be nice.

While we can't wait for our August 11th departure, we're a little nervous about all of this, to be honest: what if we have table mates who are overtly homophobic who we need to tolerate for two meals a day, particularly if the average age is over 65 (we're both early 50s, so not exactly spring chickens); how extensive is the need for refurbishment on QM2, etc.

Any advice from savvy travelers is welcome -- and thanks! Looking forward to our voyage -

Cary & Jim

New Hampshire (USA)

Cary and Jim,

Glad you followed the impulse and booked on QM2 transatlantic. After two sailings on QM2, I am pretty confident you won't have to worry. We have found our table company entertaining, respectful good people. Should you feel uncomfortable at your table, I am sure the Maitre d'restaurant can easily accommodate you at a different table. Also keep in mind, and I dare to generalize here, departing from Europe, QM2 carries many Europeans. While some consider them peculiar, homophobic behavior doesn't come to mind. Button line - I don't think you have to worry. Bon voyage

Thomas

Hello Cary & Jim

Good to hear a few more people on board. Don't forget to check out the roll call for this sailing as well.

I believe this sailing has now sold out, so well done on your Upgrade!:)

Suffice to say we have not been upgraded :(, but more than happy with the price we paid for the type of cabin!

Dont worry about Evening Meal with your table mates. You will only need to tolerate them for one meal a day, as Breakfast and lunch you can be sat with anyone, not your usual table and table mates! We have always had great table mates on all of our cruises with the exception of one, who just totally ignored us! Was a big table of 10 people though. The ironic thing was they were also our stateroom neighbors as well, so never said a word to us! Very strange! It was soon sorted as we moved table no problems and no questions asked.

I guess we cant get along with everyone we come in contact with. The way of the world just proves that with all the troubles! But put that to the back of your minds, you WILL be just Fine and Dandy :)

I can thoroughly recommend the Champagne tasting.

Also for a special occasion the Champagne afternoon tea is worth the upgrade.

Geez Champagne features a LOT in this post!

Happy Packing

Cheers

Gary

Edited by wallis7219

We were in the Champagne bar on the 1st night, and they asked if we would like to come to the champagne tasting the next day!

I think it was approx $60 for I think 5-6 Champagne and nibbles.

We enjoyed it and would do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Gary and Thomas, for your reassurances and suggestions. Good to know that we can change tables if needed. You're correct, however, that by leaving from the UK, we're likely to have more UK/European citizens aboard, whose open-minded and intelligent company I'm perhaps more likely to enjoy than many of my U.S. compatriots...

Champagne tasting! We're there! Thanks for the tip.

We're planning on stopping by the Cruise Critic gathering on Wed 12th at 2pm in the Commodore, and if there's a FOD/LGBT get together, likely popping in one of those. We luckily/surprisingly were upgraded to the 11th deck, so I fully intend to live in the Commodore Club and Library, if the weather/wind keep me inside.

Looking forward to meeting up -

Cary (and Jim)