Carnival's new wifi

Lurkyloo

Well I was very disappointed to see yesterday that the Legend will not be getting the new wifi prior to our trip in September with 5 sea days in a row. I know it takes time to get ships fitted out with the new systems and all, but my question is this. Even though the Legend will still have the crappier version of wifi, why can't the new PRICES at least be rolled out?

Because if you stop to think of it - I will be paying MORE money for LESS effective wifi than the other ships. WHY? If the other ships with better wifi are paying less why I am I paying more? Does that make sense?

And yes, I know it's a vacation and I shouldn't take my netbook and just unhook etc... etc... but the thing is I want to stay in touch with my kids, grandkids and hubby, post a few pics to facebook etc...

Not bashing Carnival in the least, I love Carnival and I know I will have a great time on the cruise regardless. Just something I am wondering. Seems a bit unfair when others are enjoying better quality wifi at a lower price.

There's more to the "new WiFi" than just pricing. The new system has significantly more capacity as well as a method to use non satellite connectivity while in port.

The old systems probably couldn't handle the increased load that unlimited plans would place on it. Also, the announcement said that they were trying to complete the rollout by October, so there's still a chance that the Legend would see the upgrade by September.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well I was very disappointed to see yesterday that the Legend will not be getting the new wifi prior to our trip in September with 5 sea days in a row. I know it takes time to get ships fitted out with the new systems and all, but my question is this. Even though the Legend will still have the crappier version of wifi, why can't the new PRICES at least be rolled out?

Because if you stop to think of it - I will be paying MORE money for LESS effective wifi than the other ships. WHY? If the other ships with better wifi are paying less why I am I paying more? Does that make sense?

And yes, I know it's a vacation and I shouldn't take my netbook and just unhook etc... etc... but the thing is I want to stay in touch with my kids, grandkids and hubby, post a few pics to facebook etc...

Not bashing Carnival in the least, I love Carnival and I know I will have a great time on the cruise regardless. Just something I am wondering. Seems a bit

unfair when others are enjoying better quality wifi at a lower price.

My guess is that even with the new wifi, there will be a number of days on your Legend cruise where you will not have wifi because there will be dead spots that you will be sailing through where there will be no available connections.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

I get that - still, seems a bit unfair to pay such a high price for crappy wifi... they could at least bring the price down a bit per minute or plan.

I'm not sure how it's unfair, the pricing for the old plan has been in place for a while. They *could* drop the per minute package pricing, but they likely won't. I wouldn't dwell on it and enjoy your cruise.

Is the WiFi package differences enough to make you switch itineraries to a ship with the new packages?

New WiFi system proboably don't cost as much to operate. Where old system still has to go through the old system they use to send info to headquarter ect. That the company charges carnival an arm and leg for, because they have to have it. That would be my guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if new wifi is on Pride yet? Leaving next Sunday

Here's the post from John Heald:

As promised yesterday here is an updated list of the ships with the massively popular faster, cheaper and all round brilliant internet packages including the $5 a day , $25 a cruise social media programs. They are:

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Paradise

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Victory

Carnival Elation

Carnival Pride

Carnival Imagination

Carnival Inspiration

Our next ships will be the Carnival Glory, Carnival Conquest and Carnival Dream and by October the beards hope to have most of the fleet completed.

Thank you. Unfortunately I have to do some work while cruising. This new wifi program will help me out.

Yep, I often need to check in on my team while I'm on vacation too. It sucks, but I'd rather spend 30-45 minutes a day making sure things don't blow up on a cruise than to be at work!

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm not sure how it's unfair, the pricing for the old plan has been in place for a while. They *could* drop the per minute package pricing, but they likely won't. I wouldn't dwell on it and enjoy your cruise.

Is the WiFi package differences enough to make you switch itineraries to a ship with the new packages?

I explained why it seems unfair to me - Now that it is on most other ships, but not the one I will be on, cruisers on the few ships that haven't been upgraded will be paying more for crappier service than probably 80% of the Carnival Cruising population.

That being said, it won't ruin my cruise. I will just be paying more for less so to speak.

Under the social media package you can check Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and a couple of other sites for one low price. The problem is that you can't click on any of the embedded links. So everything that looks interesting in your FB feed can't be clicked on. Same with Twitter- you're basically looking at a bunch of headlines or your friends' posts. I ended up upgrading my package to the next level about halfway through my Pride cruise because there were some local newspaper articles I really wanted to read. When you step out of the social media package, which is as fast as your computer at home, the wifi becomes incredibly slow.

I explained why it seems unfair to me - Now that it is on most other ships, but not the one I will be on, cruisers on the few ships that haven't been upgraded will be paying more for crappier service than probably 80% of the Carnival Cruising population.

That being said, it won't ruin my cruise. I will just be paying more for less so to speak.

I think that the problem is that if they lowered the price more people would take advantage of the program and it can't handle the high demand. The service would become so slow that it wouldn't really work for anyone. A while back they lowered their prices and introduced reasonable packages and almost immediately changed them back because it became unusable. Hope they get it on your ship before your cruise!