Belize excursion with grade school kids

WestSideDrew

I have two kids (6 and 9) on a Western Caribbean cruise in April (Vision of the Seas). The rest of the group are three adults in their late 30s and three in their 60s.

We're planning on West Bay on Roatan for beach time for the kids and snorkeling for grownups, so I was hoping to do some more jungle-like exploration in Belize. (With Maya ruins at Costa Maya and I don't know yet for Cozumel) I love the idea of mixing up the excursions and getting a great taste of each destination beyond the cruise port. (That's the appeal of this itinerary: so much variety.)

Most of the posts I've found involve cave tubing, but it sounds as though while my son may enjoy it, my young daughter won't like the long bus ride and hike and would probably have to sit on a lap. They're both too young for zip lining. What other options would be fun for a family?

I'm happy to use private local groups and prefer (I know this sounds hipster, so please forgive me) authentic experiences. (Avoiding tourist traps where you feel obligated to buy cheap factory-made knick-knacks at exorbitant prices, for example.)

I'd love y'all's thoughts! Or should I change up my plans in the other ports and make Belize the beach/snorkel excursion?

I'd love your feedback.

I'm trying to find the right mix and match of shore excursions for our Western Caribbean cruise in April (details in original post).

We have four stops: Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

On those four stops, we'd ideally like:

* a purely beach day

* a snorkel/beach day (kids don't snorkel, so someplace with a beach for them and walk-in snorkeling for us would be perfect)

* a "jungle" day (nature/adventure)

* a Mayan ruins day

They're too young for ziplining. I'd like only one long bus ride at most.

I was thinking:

Roatan - West Bay

Belize - Tubing? Or Altun Ha? Or the zoo? Or Caye Caulker?

Costa Maya - Beach at Majahual? Chacchoben?

Cozumel - Chankanaab? Other beaches?

I feel I've reached research overload! Has anyone taken grade-school kids on this itinerary and lived to tell the tale?

Thanks so much!

Here are some general suggestions based on my experiences and research:

Pure beach day - Coz. Plenty of choices, but snorkeling from beach is iffy. I don't suggest Chank. because it is expensive to get in and it is not a "real" beach. Yes, it has good snorkeling, but not walk in snorkeling like Roatan. You have to climb down rocky steps.

Snorkel/beach day - Roatan. West Bay Beach is a pretty beach with great snorkeling that can be done from the beach.

Jungle/nature/adventure day - Belize. We took our 6 yr old cave tubing. This is a tender port, so it is difficult to avoid a long trip no matter what you do.

Mayan ruins day - Costa Maya.

As an alternative, switch Coz and Belize excursions. You can do adventure in Coz and beach in Belize.

I've only done one excursion in Belize, which was the Lamanai bus/boat trip. Best excursion I've ever taken, but it's long, so you might want to see if it's offered through the cruiseline (to make sure they wait for you).

I believe you can get an excursion to Altun Ha (much closer) involving one bus and one boat leg.

Have heard good things about the zoo. Small, but intimate.

Here are some general suggestions based on my experiences and research:

Pure beach day - Coz. Plenty of choices, but snorkeling from beach is iffy. I don't suggest Chank. because it is expensive to get in and it is not a "real" beach. Yes, it has good snorkeling, but not walk in snorkeling like Roatan. You have to climb down rocky steps.

Snorkel/beach day - Roatan. West Bay Beach is a pretty beach with great snorkeling that can be done from the beach.

Jungle/nature/adventure day - Belize. We took our 6 yr old cave tubing. This is a tender port, so it is difficult to avoid a long trip no matter what you do.

Mayan ruins day - Costa Maya.

As an alternative, switch Coz and Belize excursions. You can do adventure in Coz and beach in Belize.

Awesome - this fits what I was thinking. How was tubing with your 6 year old? Worth the long trip?

I've only done one excursion in Belize, which was the Lamanai bus/boat trip. Best excursion I've ever taken, but it's long, so you might want to see if it's offered through the cruiseline (to make sure they wait for you).

The cruise line (Royal) offers a Lamanai trip - what made it such a great excursion for you?