Carnival Early Saver

mikelaw11017

ES is horrible. I won't book it anymore, my husband is military and no travel we plan is 100%... which often makes other cruise lines cheaper. Regardless though I would just do a no show, that's what we did when my sister didn't come for our cruise last year. Other lines have much better cancellation policies on their cheap rates for the future though. It's a huge reason we've started dabbling on other lines.

ES is not horrible. It's just not the best booking option for you.

I know that Carnival covers themselves with "legal jargon," but there is a point that they are down right cruel. For example, we have a group of four cabins booked on an upcoming cruise, and we are platinum members. For reasons, never imagined, one of the cabins will now only have one guest. We are completely fine with the price being modified and the cabin being re-priced as a single. It is a modification of an existing booking, not a cancellation. However, Carnival does not consider that. Since they delete one person, they believe it is a cancellation and imposed a $250 cancellation, plus a $50 change fee for a total of $300. We would have made out much better, if we just would have let the passenger be a no show. Please, no comments about you should have read the contract. Carnival, should not make an additional profit off unforeseen life events. Of course, Carnival doesn't care all the way up to the supervisory level. They simply fall back on their legal jargon. The world is not "black and white." If they weren't harmed financially as a company, then don't adversely affect the customer (Customer Service 101)

MikeLaw11017, I agree with you 150%. Here is the worse part that will really upset you. The "single supplement" on Carnival is exactly the same price as a double cabin. When booking as a "single" we are required to pay 2 deposits. Their reasoning is, you will have to pay for it eventually. Really? On Royal Caribbean, as a single, I pay 1 deposit. Yes there is a single supplement but there are multiple discounts available that cut that way down. I have cruised on 4 cruise lines. My favorite is Royal Caribbean because they are more fair, reasonable and will to work with you. Carnival, in my opinion, really goes after your wallet. How they got this successful against their competitors is beyond me. Cruise Royal Caribbean next time. You will be glad you did!

OP hasn't come back to answer any of the questions. Yes life events happen.

I had to make a change to our family cruise in 2013. Trust me the $400 ($50 X 8) I paid to Carnival was nothing compared to the $1200($150 X 8) I paid to the airline. I didn't complain. I didn't whine. I am all grown up and knew what I was doing. I didn't like it but we did end up with enough OBC to cover almost all the cost. This was the summer just after the Triumph fire and prices droped to nearly nothing.

I also had a life event just before my first cruise. DD went into premature labor at 29 weeks about a month before my cruise. I didn't even think about the cruise until two weeks before we were to leave. By then it was too late. Baby was born the next day and by cruise date was out of NICU. We sailed.

ES does have some restrictions and one must really understand the ins and outs.

Oh and platinum? You should have know better.

ES is a risk. You accept the risk up front. So far it has worked out for us, but we haven't had to change anything. I also make sure I get a liberal trip insurance policy.

We have booked ES for every cruise (B2B) since they started offering it. We have received many good price drops for OBC after final payment date. We also have good travel insurance in case something unexpected happens.

I got a killer deal on a rental car bidding on priceline last week. Far less than half the price quoted on other websites. They take your money up front, and no refunds. I don't expect priceline or the rental agency to make an exception for me if I can't travel.. I'll be out the money. Buyer beware is the name of the game.... I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Edited by lido deck larry

Hello Walmart? I spend thousands of dollars with you every year. But due to a life event I couldn't eat some of the produce I recently bought and it went bad. Could you give me a refund?

Your prior post was fine, but this one seems a little snarky & uncalled for, don't you think?

Your prior post was fine, but this one seems a little snarky & uncalled for, don't you think?

Call or snarky if you wish.. your opinion. I was going for absurdity. In that you wouldn't expect other businesses to accommodate a life event and change the terms of the sale just because you ask. Not sure why Carnival is expected to.

Call or snarky if you wish.. your opinion. I was going for absurdity. In that you wouldn't expect other businesses to accommodate a life event and change the terms of the sale just because you ask. Not sure why Carnival is expected to.

Actually, I agree with what you are saying. I think the way you put it in your last post appeared snarky to me. Sorry.

And those that book ES and think there should be exceptions made for them when they have to cancel, would not be fair to the rest of us that book ES.

Edited by Sparky2

Once again, someone books the ES rate and then complains about the terms that they agreed too.

And at the end of the day the OP's dissatisfaction has nothing to do with early saver.

They are past final payment date so it would have ended up with the same no matter which rate they booked.

Of course OP hasn't been back since they started the thread.

Bill

And at the end of the day the OP's dissatisfaction has nothing to do with early saver.

They are past final payment date so it would have ended up with the same no matter which rate they booked.

Of course OP hasn't been back since they started the thread.

Bill

Exactly. People really need to understand that those early saver rules regarding the $50 change fee, etc. Only applies until you reach the date of your final payment. After that, penalties apply based on a sliding scale. Doesn't matter what rate code you booked under once you hit your final payment date!

Once again early saver=not guilty. Lol.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk