How busy is Maho in September?

mividajp

My DH and I went to Maho beach in Oct about 8 years ago. My DH is a big airplane buff and wanted to see the planes fly in. When we took a taxi 8 yrs ago in Oct, our taxi driver told us there were only 1-3 airplanes flying in per day because it was the low season. Suffice it to say, we missed the planes. We didn't time it right and it was pretty much a wasted trip to the beach.

We're going to be there Sept 4 this year and my DH REALLY wants to see the planes. Does anyone know if this is still the low season and if so, what time we'd have to be at the beach to see at least one plane come in? Thanks!!

BINGO!!!

Go out and buy a Lottery Ticket.

Yes, it is low season, near the lowest of low season, but you lucked out:

th_klm%20sep%204%202015.jpg

(click)

KLM has a scheduled B747-400 (Flight KL785) due in at 10:55.

I must warn you, though, that I have missed the 747 when KLM arrived 50 minutes early, so get over there. It is not to be missed.

gary

BINGO!!!

Go out and buy a Lottery Ticket.

Yes, it is low season, near the lowest of low season, but you lucked out:

th_klm%20sep%204%202015.jpg

(click)

KLM has a scheduled B747-400 (Flight KL785) due in at 10:55.

I must warn you, though, that I have missed the 747 when KLM arrived 50 minutes early, so get over there. It is not to be missed.

gary

Lucky you OP. It's still my fav. I also find that it usually arrives ahead of schedule. The atmosphere and anticipation when the KLM is coming in is half the fun so head there early and enjoy.:)

Gary, how did you find out about the KLM? Is there a website? Is the KLM the only plane coming in that day? I'm trying to plan our day and wondering if there will be more planes to see throughout the day or if that's the only one.

I know that KLM and Air France fly the biggest planes into St. Maarten, so that what I check directly. They're the same company now, so both show up in one search on their website.

I check Amsterdam (AMS) to St. Maarten (SXM). If the 747 is flying, it shows up directly. Otherwise they would route through Paris (CDG) and switch to the Airbus.

To get a feel for what planes are flying in on any specific day of the week, I check Joyce Hanley-Prince's website on the same day of the week, 1, 2, 3 weeks before we'll be there, as the schedules by day of week are fairly regular except when the seasonal schedule changes occur.

Be sure to check the different 'Time Period' options.

gary

We will be there on Sept 16. Does anyone know what flights are scheduled for that day? Thank you.

September 16th is a Wednesday, and KLM doesn't have any scheduled flights that day.

To get a general feel for what flights are usually scheduled, see my recent post to mividajp about using Joyce's website. There are other sites that do the same, as well.

gary

September 16th is a Wednesday, and KLM doesn't have any scheduled flights that day.

To get a general feel for what flights are usually scheduled, see my recent post to mividajp about using Joyce's website. There are other sites that do the same, as well.

gary

Thank you, Gary. We will be back in December and hope to see the big planes landing then. Appreciate all your help!

Meenu