Will I ever get a deal like this again?

mrobstad

Three summers ago, I scored a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on RCCL Serenade of the Seas for $799 solo rate. I've been scouring that on line site we all use and haven't seen anything close to that for Europe since. Yes, it was in the peak of summer....hot, hot, hot.....but I don't care! Great price, great ship! Has anyone seen anything close to that price?

Closest I've seen was $959 for a 12-day RCCL med cruise in March 2015 (sailing July/Aug 2015). IIRC, that price only hung around for a day or two though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45930262&postcount=3507

Barring short-lived deals like this, I don't hold out much hope for broad price declines - business is good for the big three cruise cos. RCCL specifically, from their most recent earnings press release:

"Commercially the year is turning out as expected, with strong booking trends and yield growth for all major products."

Europe might be a little better than average for us with a weaker Euro, but the biggest impact will probably be seen in the lines with more European passengers and that use the Euro as their primary currency, thereby making it cheaper for US$ spenders.

Edited by RandoCalrissian
clarified cruise in the summer

Three summers ago, I scored a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on RCCL Serenade of the Seas for $799 solo rate. I've been scouring that on line site we all use and haven't seen anything close to that for Europe since. Yes, it was in the peak of summer....hot, hot, hot.....but I don't care! Great price, great ship! Has anyone seen anything close to that price?

Never say never, but unless there's another "perfect storm" of conditions such as bad economies, political unrest, etc all happening at once, I think these prices are gone.

4 years ago I did Constellation solo 12 day for $944 Canadian... Economy was still in flux in Europe, Egypt and Israel ports being cancelled, many things going on regarding Europe economies, strife in the regions, etc. Then Costa Concordia happened and I was really thinking doing europe again but couldn't put together the vacation time... prices were crazy low summer 2012! By summer 2013 prices were back up to "normal" from previous years on all cruise lines it seems.

Then 2014 I booked Serenade in May for a Sept 12 day Med cruise on one of the BOGO sales for $2800 solo.... Then it went up to $3800 solo after the sale... and the ship still sold out!

Another data point - probably a data entry mistake by HAL and it was quickly pulled once HAL realized it since it's no longer available and occurred in the highest oceanview cabin type (lanai) yet waaaay cheaper than every other cabin. But since both the 'fish and the 'plum are showing it as a fare, it was probably bookable during a small window today.

19 Nov 2015 / ms Veendam / 24 Day Mexican Riviera & Circle Hawaii

$1099 double occ, $1758 solo occ (base fare only, lanai)

$96 / day for the solo, incl. tax & tips.

when the ncl epic was new the company did a goof and the solo studio was advertised at the rate for 3rd person in a cabin. the deal lasted about 48 hours before the goof was fixed. the months available to choose your sail date was pretty large and i paid $350 for the 7 nights. the cost was $850 before and after the goof the discovered.

Take a gander at the Epic's Iberian routes this year. Studio prices have gone up a bit but are still reasonable for Europe. I think the sweet spot is a solo-eligible inside to balcony upgrade which has been popping up intermittently for one of the sailings. One of the large East coast cruise agencies is also throwing in a free Ultimate Beverage Package on NCL sailings during their holiday sale.

when the ncl epic was new the company did a goof and the solo studio was advertised at the rate for 3rd person in a cabin. the deal lasted about 48 hours before the goof was fixed. the months available to choose your sail date was pretty large and i paid $350 for the 7 nights. the cost was $850 before and after the goof the discovered.

I got in on that deal; it was great! My sister and I got studios across the hall from each other :D

I've been looking at that US website. There don't seem to be any decent deals on there at the moment. Some time ago, I booked Explorer otS for a repo from Southampton to Barcelona, which was a really good price. There hasn't been anything to match since booking.

I had the chance to book the October 21 day BtoB cruise on Carnival Dream for about $1200, I could not make up my mind on whether to take it or not and by the time I did book it it have risen to $1800.

Note that is in American Dollars, and at the same time the Canadian dollar have fallen from $0.85 to $0.82, at-least I booked it then; the price is now close to $2000 for the BtoB cruise and the Canadian dollar have fallen to $0.77 in value.

When you see a bargain grab it before it jumps in price.

I had the chance to book the October 21 day BtoB cruise on Carnival Dream for about $1200, I could not make up my mind on whether to take it or not and by the time I did book it it have risen to $1800.

Note that is in American Dollars, and at the same time the Canadian dollar have fallen from $0.85 to $0.82, at-least I booked it then; the price is now close to $2000 for the BtoB cruise and the Canadian dollar have fallen to $0.77 in value.

When you see a bargain grab it before it jumps in price.

I saw a good deal a few weeks ago for a cruise next May. I couldn't phone the TA because I was at work. By the time I got home and phoned all the cabins at that price had sold.

Never mind, something else will come up.

I saw a good deal a few weeks ago for a cruise next May. I couldn't phone the TA because I was at work. By the time I got home and phoned all the cabins at that price had sold.

Never mind, something else will come up.

Next time book it online and then transfer it to your TA when you get home; this happens all of the time and gets you a good price. Good luck!

Next time book it online and then transfer it to your TA when you get home; this happens all of the time and gets you a good price. Good luck!

I am going to talk to my TA tomorrow and see if she can do that. If yes, I know that next year I probably will book more cruises.

thank you for the tip.

I scored an East Med. cruise on RCCL mariner of the seas in Oct. of 2012, 10 days, for $649 as a solo. I scored a great deal on airfare as well, and ended up with the entire thing only costing me about $1200.

I doubt I'll ever find a deal like that again.

• 2 weeks later...
I scored an East Med. cruise on RCCL mariner of the seas in Oct. of 2012, 10 days, for $649 as a solo. I scored a great deal on airfare as well, and ended up with the entire thing only costing me about $1200.

I doubt I'll ever find a deal like that again.

As a combined cruise and plane flight that is a great price in 2012. Well Done!

My 20 night cruise on the MSC Orchestra from Italy to Brazil in 2009 cost £179 for a balcony guarantee, sole occupancy

I treated myself on my last QM2 transatlantic in 2012 and booked sole occupancy in a Queen's Grill suite for just over £1200. (A Britannia balcony gty, sole occ, was only £249 on the same cruise.) Was even better value when the Grill Concierge bumped me up to a Q4 penthouse!

Edited by canny_cruiser