Pre Hotel and Transfers from LAX

tvlgirl

I think Supershuttle is going to be the cheapest transport. However, some on this board don't care for the fact that they have a tendency to circle the airport three times searching for additional riders.

I booked with Karmel for transfer from LAX to Long Beach for approx. $52 for 2 people in a towncar. However, when I tried to use them to book transport from the hotel in Long Beach to the cruise terminal in San Pedro, their website kept giving me errors. I called them and the guy I spoke to told me it was my fault, and he didn't know what I was doing wrong, and he could not help me. That left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth for them ... we'll see if they are any better in person (crossing my fingers and hoping!).

Many people on these boards have advised not to use a Taxi from the airport as the rates will be excessive if there is a lot of traffic -- which makes sense.

There was another shuttle service out there that someone advised against using due to their safety history (or lack thereof) -- not sure of the name. Do a search on these boards for "Long Beach" and see what comes up.

As for hotels, it seems most people like to stay in Long Beach before their cruise; however, I doubt seriously that this is the cheapest way to go. So, I guess I really can't help you with that one.

Hope you have a FANTASTIC cruise!

KruzDude :)

is to walk! But it's not very practical. Next best is www.karmel.com or www.supershuttle.com but super shuttle does do the 3 times around the airport if the van isn't full and you haven't reserved an exclusive. Prime Time is the one that has had the safety problems, so avoid them. Taxis are really expensive compared to van services, especially if you get stuck in traffic.

I too have been tossing this around in my mind .. I've come to the conclusion there is no inexpensive or convenient way to get from LAX to pier :-) .. we have an April 2006 cruise planned. However .. I did call the Holiday Inn on Gaffey Street in San Pedro and spoke to one of the managers. He told me they have a "cruise special" and for $149 they will pick you up at LAX, room, breakfast and drop off at pier in the a.m. You have to call the hotel directly for this, cannot do it on website. He said arrangements must be made in advance and when you get your baggage you call a number they give you and you will be told where to wait. You have to have your flight numbers before you can book (and in my case we fly Southwest so I have to wait till I can do that, but it sounds like it may be a good solution to this problem). He told me that when you check in at hotel you are given a time to be taken over to ship in their van.

He also told me Holiday Inn took over the Sheraton and it is now a Crowne Plaza. They probably will have the same arrangement there too he said.

LAX is about 16 miles or so from pier area and it's an expensive taxi ride. Personally I am not keen on SuperShuttle/shared ride concept.

Archived