letting Carnival pick your room

I let Carnival pick my room once (in 2010). Booked an ocean view guarantee so thought, hey - can't be too bad we might get lucky! Well, it was the worst location we've ever had. Riviera deck, forward. Something about the room was just "off". It smelled, didn't cool properly, and I did not like the location. We had booked with friends (two other rooms). Of course we were the only ones stuck on Riviera. Told myself NEVER again.

I don't mind being forward, that's where I have chosen to be on the last 4 cruises I've been on but we prefer higher floors (Lido if available).

Just booked a cruise two weeks ago on the Magic and was tempted to save a bit of $ by letting Carnival pick my balcony, but I just couldn't do it.

What if you don't like the cabin where they stuck you? NWIH would I ever have a cruise line pick my cabin for me. Did that once on Princess and we got stuck under the Lido deck with Movies Under the Stars blasting. Pay the extra and be happy. JMHO.

We always will pick our own cabin. With our luck, we would get a bad location for the duration of the cruise. Not worth the extra money saved, IMO.

When we went on our first cruise in 2005 we didn't have a choice of picking our room (I don't think) we booked GU BL and ended up with a wonderful room on Lido deck! ummm I wonder if we'll score that again?? doubt it! but if it's a balcony it can't be that bad?? can it?? although i'm sure we could end up on Main deck below the galley or in some other noise zone but oh well we're on a cruise it's vacation and it's our 30th wedding anniversary--nothing will stop us from having an incredible time!!

We have GU BL but don't have our assignment yet we sail the 9th of Aug. it's probably a little early still though

We received our room assignment roughly 15 days before sailing.

Of course we were the only ones stuck on Riviera. Told myself NEVER again.

Riviera deck is awesome on a port heavy cruise. No wait to get back to the room with just one deck of stairs.

Bummer about the smell, but we've had weird smells on higher up floors too. (Our Riveria deck experience did not smell.)