Have a question (theory) about why Carnival has a bad reputation

tripman

I have mixed feelings. Let me first say we usually cruise Disney. Me and my husband are in our late 20's with 3 boys and we love Disney! It costs, but is worth it. We just went on our 5th Disney in February. We also sailed the Sensation year before last because of an incredible deal. Thankfully we can have fun no matter what we do and we did, but it was very different. I'm sorry, but the class of people on that particular date was low. Smoking in the halls, elevators that were jammed pack, people didn't think twice about lighting one up! Getting in the pool with cut off tank tops and jean shorts. Inconsiderate, rude, trashy people. But, we still kept a positive attitude and found little places to have fun. Well, we ran across a deal on the Glory next month and we are going to give Carnival another chance. I hope it is better. To me Disney just set such a high standard it is hard to beat. We'll see.......

I found the shorter cruises a little more "active" but it also could have had to do with the ship.... cruised the Sensation in July, over a holiday weekend... there was a party atmosphere, but also SO many children... the disco was open until after 4 every night, and packed. The Sensation out of NOLA in October, probably had to do with leaving out of NOLA, those people know how to party :D plus we had a large group... GREAT party atmosphere, and SO much fun... not alot of children onboard. The Miracle in February... the ship was very quiet, if it weren't for our group, there would have been zero party atmosphere... seemed almost "retirement home'ish" in my opinion... but I have heard that is true of the Miracle... again, very few kids. So perhaps it depends on the ship, the port, and time of year.

I guess the Miracle is about to get a shot in the arm....We will be on her the first week in February!;)

I guess the Miracle is about to get a shot in the arm....We will be on her the first week in February!;)

It can be done!! Just make sure you get a group in the disco... they tried to close it early every night, but we made sure to get a crowd in there and keep them open... they still wouldn't stay open as late as we would have liked... but it was open :D Hopefully it will be more alive than when the partae pirates were onboard.... it was DEAD at night!!!!!!! Have fun!!!!

My DH and I know how to make a party happen! Sometimes it's a party of 2, but nothing wrong with that!;)

Seriously, my DH is very charismatic, people always fall in love with him. I married him because I was never, ever bored!:cool:

We are gonna have to hook up with a group cruise one of these years!

My DH and I know how to make a party happen! Sometimes it's a party of 2, but nothing wrong with that!;)

Seriously, my DH is very charismatic, people always fall in love with him. I married him because I was never, ever bored!:cool:

We are gonna have to hook up with a group cruise one of these years!

Most definitely!!! Come and join us next October... or April, we are hoping that the Freedom will be out of NOLA in 2007 for Saints and Sinners Part Trois :D

We like to cruise in the dead of winter, Jan or Feb. After that, we spend all our free time on the Potomac river. Not exactly a cruise ship, but we have a nice boat for 2 people. I think we got into cruising as an extension of our boating hobby. We really missed being on the water during the winter.

I've been on the Ecstacy and the Spirit, and I really believe that the bad rep comes from the older ships like Ecstacy. I sailed before the refurbishment, but it just seemed like a plastic, low-class ship and at that time, yes, it smelled. I hear they've fixed that.

Carnival Spirit seemed very classy and would whether or not it was running short trips. I think they run their older ships on short trips for a reason--those not too choosy, looking to party, won't mind the plastic and neon.

Greetings,

However, I do have a theory. Is it possible that maybe the shorter (3 & 4 night) Carnival cruises are a bit lower in quality and even class? They seem to be the cheapest, and so I wonder if you truly get what you pay for when going on one of them. It would seem logical to me that the cheapest of cruises might tend to attract....dare I say....lower class passengers who might tend to be more rowdy, more likely to wear jeans and tank tops on formal night, more likely to puke in the hallways.

So is my theory true?: It is perfetly fine to go on Carnival, as long as you take at least a 7 night cruise?

I strongly disagree with you.

I take shorter cruises. With my workload, and my daughter's school schedule; it is simply easier to fit in 3 or 4 short cruises in a year than a week long cruise.

To say *we* that cruise on shorter sailings are of lower class is simply ludicrious. You also mention it's cheaper. You're right but you are also wrong. It's cheaper because it is a shorter cruise but the price per day is actually more expensive then when taking a week long cruise. I would actually save money if I went on a week long cruise instead of my short cruises. I LIKE my short cruises.

As for the party atmosphere- I sure hope people are having fun. It's a vacation after all. As for puking in the halls- Sorry I didnt see any of that, but I would imagine it probably does happen- And not just on the shorter cruises.

This kind of broard generalization is what can give a certain line a bad reputation. On our last cruise we sat at a table for 10 at dinner. One family- a family of three-were working middle class and dressed beautifully every night for dinner. The other family at our table- also a family of three- dressed in jeans and a casual top each night- The husband is a lawyer, His wife is a Dr, and we listened how they just came back from Brazil and in a week were going to Turkey for two months. They had money hand over fist- My point- They were the ones who did not dress for dinner.

Now if you,the OP, had walked by our table you would have assumed that the ones in the jeans were trashy and low class and low income- You would have been wrong.

This type of attitude and assumption just shows that it doesn't matter what people say because you will only see what you want to see. It's a pity because you're most likely missing out on meeting an awesome group of people.

Happy cruising.

Laura

laura2161 -

how are your 3 & 4 night cruises more expensive then a week long cruise?

Oh, and yes, I would have assumed trashy and low-class, but not necessarily low income. Because in my opinion, trashy and low-class is not the same as low income.

I can only compare NCL. I have been on 5 cruises. Two NCL, three Carnival. Two of the carnival were 4 day cruises on older ships. One 7 day on a new ship. The 2 NCL were 7 days. There really was not much difference in the quality of the ship other than the room. Carnival had much better, bigger rooms. NCL had better food on the buffet and in the dining room as well as better dining room service. However, the supper club on Carnival was far superior to NCL's alterantive dining. It was probably the best food I have ever had served on Versace (spelling ?) China, silver, etc. Canrival also had great pizza, deli, fish and chips. The sommelier decanted certain wines, excellent service. I think it is what you make of it and the pirce you pay. I'm not there for the buffet food or the shows. If you want inexpensive transportation to great islands, Carnival is great. They offer wonderful Captain parties and past guest parties with great free drinks. I am a red wine drinker and my husnad drinks martinis. Both were offered on Carnival. On the NCL parties, they only offered cheap mixed fruitti tutti drinks. NCL had better activities for at sea days.

Hope you have fun.

Hmmm, tell that to the people who sailed the second sailing of the Liberty. The Reviews that came off about the kids were a mess.

I said you don't hear as many wild stories--I didn't say you don't hear any at all! I have cruised enough to know not to speak in absolutes. And I referred to average ages on particular cruises. Of course each cruise has its own average age which may differ, sometimes greatly, from the average age for the cruise line or the industry.

While we were at port in Costa Maya back in July, we were next to an RCL ship. My 2 cousins and my girlfriend were all sunning on the deck and the guys on RCL would not stop whistling/yelling at them. Then when some of us(not my g/f or cousins) were getting back on the ship a bunch of guys started mooning us.

I had a travel agent recommend against Carnival as noisy, too many kids, and too many drunks. Then I've had older more reserved friends who took an Alaskan Cruise on Princess and then later one on Carnival and said they really enjoyed the Carnival more. So I'm giving Carnival a try and really looking forward to it.

I had a travel agent recommend against Carnival as noisy, too many kids, and too many drunks.

Most people that I've talked to that say this...and it's been a lot......and most people I know that have talked to people that say this........have NEVER set ft on a Carnival ship...:rolleyes: (shakes head)

I think the reason that carnival has such problems is because they really don't do anything to try to change people's opinions.

Starting to worry. How bad is it? Have been a loyal follower of RCI with no complaints but just put a hold on our first Carnival cruise (deposit's due tomorrow). One big plus for us is Carnival fits 5 (myself, DH, DS 8 , DD 7 & DD 3) to a cabin (I've been getting some helpful hints from here as to what type of cabin to book). Camp carnival is another plus -- seems to have a better program than RCI (we were on the Navigator last year and the kids program was just OK). Is Carnival really "a step down" in cruising?

I have cruised 11 times . HAL/Princess and mostly RCCL. I was told that Carnival was nothing but poopaloopas/crumbcrunchers/kids and drunks by anyone that I have talked to.

I am thinking of trying this April/06 the cruise ship Spirit out of Honolulu to Vancouver 12 days as they seem to be the only ones offering this itinerary. I sailed Princess from Vancouver 11 days and it was simply fantastic.

I would like to do it the other direction this time as the midnight flight home after arriving very tired in Honolulu was too much.

What can you tell me about the Spirit as I have enquired to book a suite on this ship.

The way I look at it is . I have never tried it so I have nothing negative myself to say. Always try something once, before passing judgement.

Originally Posted by sallyb

I WAS JUST THINKING THE SAME THING!!! :D

I leave on the Miracle Oct 16th Well see if we can wake it up for you.:D

Guess if Jeans make you low class, then my Long hair must make me even lower-class. Just remember the old saying "never judge a book buy its cover" I may walk to the beat of my own dummer. But I treat everone I meet with the respeact that I wish for them to treat me. To me anyone looking down on someone else is low-class.

I have cruised 11 times . HAL/Princess and mostly RCCL. I was told that Carnival was nothing but poopaloopas/crumbcrunchers/kids and drunks by anyone that I have talked to.

The way I look at it is . I have never tried it so I have nothing negative myself to say. Always try something once, before passing judgement.

Good for you.........I've also talked to those like you, with open minds, that tried Carnival and love it....Example, since you've sailed a lot of RCI...The atmosphere and food in the Supper Club on the Spirit Class ships is as good to better than Chops & Portofino on food and far better in atmosphere....Go have a great time!;)

I am thinking of trying this April/06 the cruise ship Spirit out of Honolulu to Vancouver 12 days as they seem to be the only ones offering this itinerary. I sailed Princess from Vancouver 11 days and it was simply fantastic.

I would like to do it the other direction this time as the midnight flight home after arriving very tired in Honolulu was too much.

What can you tell me about the Spirit as I have enquired to book a suite on this ship.

Folgy, so jeleous. Some day, some day....

I guess that is one of the advantages of living on the left coast.

well, Host Randy, I say it and I have set foot on Carnival.

You've cruised Carnival once.... a long time ago, and I haven't read where you said the reason you didn't like it was because of the "kids being noisy or the drunks"... seems the complaints were geared more towards the food not being hot... any ship can have a bad week, I'm sure even an RCL ship (gasp!!!). And tastes are subjective... I wouldn't judge an entire cruiseline based on the trough of one ship.

I think the reason that carnival has such problems is because they really don't do anything to try to change people's opinions.

Starting to worry. How bad is it? Have been a loyal follower of RCI with no complaints but just put a hold on our first Carnival cruise (deposit's due tomorrow). One big plus for us is Carnival fits 5 (myself, DH, DS 8 , DD 7 & DD 3) to a cabin (I've been getting some helpful hints from here as to what type of cabin to book). Camp carnival is another plus -- seems to have a better program than RCI (we were on the Navigator last year and the kids program was just OK). Is Carnival really "a step down" in cruising?

A step down from RCI??? I seriously doubt it.

Try Carnival...you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Did anyone watch that show on TV over the weekend...I wish I remember what channel I was watching, OH!! I think it was a Dateline Special...it was about the Honeymoon from h*ll on the RCI ship where the groom disapppeared. (obviously foul play) It seems to me you can have rowdy people on any line that attracts a young crowd. It also seems to me though, that if rowdiness bothers you, those ships are huge and you can avoid these people if you wish. On Carnival the nightlife is there if you want it, and if you don't want it, you can avoid it. You have a choice...unlike other lines that close down the ship after the last show in the evening.

I do want to add that of the 3 Carnival Cruises I've taken, I Have NEVER seen anyone puking.

Here is the dead honest, imo, "secret truth" about RCI, Carnival and Princess. You know what? Except for some little things they all market to the same audience and are not that different one from another. I have sailed all three and the experience has not been that different on any of them. Oops, I am now going to be sent to cruise purgatory.

Archived