Bridge / Engine Room

JoeTN

I've always had a wicked fascination with vessels, and I was wondering the odds of ever getting to see either of these places on a cruise. I should've joined the Navy instead of the Army, lol. I was just wondering, do they do organized tours of either of these, or can I get lucky and beg an officer to take me to the bridge ? :)

Thanks

Being a professional geek, I can sympathize with you. However, you may be in for a disappointment.

The problem is, I don't think there's that much to see in the bridge unless they're docking, in which case, they're too busy trying to parallel park a 100,000 ton boat to bother with passengers. On Fantasy class ships, however, you can peek into to the wheelhouses from the forward part of the Lido deck. (A big LED readout of the ship's heading is visible at all times.) I was able to see some activity there while they were turning Ecstasy around in Long Beach harbor.

Seeing as they're all "Motor Vessels" (or M.V.), there's, I think, eight engine rooms scattered around, each with something similar to the engines you'd find on a locomotive, and like a locomotive, they're each driving a generator. Those all feed big, monster bus bars that distribute the electricity to all the ship. Somewhere towards the back there are, I think, two motors (similar to the traction motors on, surprise, a locomotive) on each propeller shaft. Unless you're on Elation, in which case you don't have even that because the motors are in pods under the ship. All that's left are the hydraulics the move the stabilizers and rudders (or the azipods).

Since all this is scattered over an area the size of three football fields, I'm guessing it's a little hard to show anyone much.

The biggest problem is, I think, that they'd rather disappoint a few geeks than deal with the consequences and logistics of dealing with the tours. So I think they try to keep a blanket "no tours" policy in effect.

We had a tour of the bridge. I just wrote a note to the Captain. It was interesting. DS is an EE and asked alot of questions. Think he would really enjoy an engine tour!

Becky

I would LOVE to do that too. Maybe one day I'll get some cojones and ask :)

Yes that is exactly what I did. Gave it to the desk and ask them to give it to the Captain. One day later they contacted me and ask when I would like to see it. It was a port day so after we got back to the ship they met us and took us to the bridge. Even took pictures for us!

Becky

Archived