Carnival burials at sea

As someone else has already mentioned, this is not correct. Carnival requires the ashes to be in a biodegradable urn, which is then placed into the ocean. We did this for my dad almost 2 years ago, and I will say that Carnival was very helpful and accommodating. I'll do it again for my mother when her time on earth is over, and it's what I want done for myself when the time comes.

And, as gemsm said, I don't want fanfare, I want it simple. Have a party for me afterwards.

Also, it's been mentioned by some that scattering the ashes is better than placing an urn into the ocean. That would be fine except that you're on a cruise ship, and it gets windy. The last thing I'd want is my ashes blowing back up on my loved ones, or ever worse, blowing up on the decks above. A biodegradable urn is the way to go.

I was told we could not place the urn, even though it was biodegradable, in the ocean, we literally had to open the bag and scatter the ashes. I was glad, it just felt uncomfortable to toss the box over, so I am happy with how they required me to do it and it just felt good to see the ashes blowing in the wind.

As to "ashes blowing into loved ones" that won't happen, that's why they "take" you to a specific spot on the ship, I was told the bridge would provide instructions so that this specifically would not happen and the ashes would blow with the wind and not against it.

Edited by CruisingAmazona

I was told we could not place the urn, even though it was biodegradable, in the ocean, we literally had to open the bag and scatter the ashes. I was glad, it just felt uncomfortable to toss the box over, so I am happy with how they required me to do it and it just felt good to see the ashes blowing in the wind.

As to "ashes blowing into loved ones" that won't happen, that's why they "take" you to a specific spot on the ship, I was told the bridge would provide instructions so that this specifically would not happen and the ashes would blow with the wind and not against it.

How long ago was that because when Dad was cremated we specifically asked for the proper urn for burial at sea and I understood we could just throw the urn into the water.

If the bag inside that you opened was plastic, then it really wasn't a biodegradable urn. It may have been a cardboard box with a plastic bag inside. A lot of funeral homes will use those to return cremated remains when the family doesn't purchase an urn. These biodegradable urns usually are somewhat attractive and they will dissolve in the water and disperse the ashes.

Below is what I received from Carnival. Also, I have been informed if the urn packing material holding the ashes along with the urn itself is biodegradable and I have paperwork certifying this (Which I do) that the complete urn can be released into the sea (Which is what I plan on doing):

Bringing Cremated Remains On Board

Burial at Sea - Dispersing of Cremated Ashes

Bringing Cremated Remains On Board

A guest may bring cremated remains on board. Please note the following procedures and policies:

• The guest must bring the deceased’s Death Certificate.

• The remains have been cremated by a facility licensed to perform these services in the US, and the guest carries a certification of the compliant cremation.

• The cremated remains are transported in a proper urn and remain in this urn during the entire travel.

 The ashes are maintained in a leak proof and in a sealed container.

 The container/urn must be able to pass through the X-ray machines as well as TSA X-ray machines

 The container must be constructed of wood, plastic, cardboard or any non-lead based ceramic.

• The Guest is aware that the remains are his/her responsibility and he/she is the sole custodian of the urn/ashes; Carnival will not be responsible for the oversight or incidents. If the guest takes the urn out of the cabin, he/she is responsible for its oversight and cannot leave the urn unattended.

• The urn must remain on board, and the guest may not disembark the urn and try to enter it in a port-of-call because each country has legal requirements and controls over the transportation of cremated human remains, and they must be respected.

• If the guest is traveling by air, he/she needs to inquire with the airline of their own restrictions and regulations.

Burial at Sea – Dispersing of Cremated Ashes

Dispersing cremated ashes at sea is permitted. Please note the following procedures and policies:

• The guest must contact the Guest Services Desk once onboard the ship.

• The Guest Services Staff and the Environmental & Occupational Safety Officer (EOSO) will coordinate the burial at sea.

 Depending on the ship’s itinerary, a time and location will be coordinated based on the guest’s suggestions and operation requirements.

 The ceremony must be performed beyond twelve nautical miles from land and any restricted areas noted on the nautical charts and notices to mariners.

• Once the date and time are finalized, Guest Services will notify the family of the scheduled ceremony.

• The family will be taken to the area by EOSO and/or a Security Officer.

• The family will be given privacy to disperse the ashes; the area will be secured in order to ensure privacy without disrupting other guest activities.

• Ashes and flowers may be dispersed but not plastic materials such as plastic ribbons, plastic flowers, plastic urns, balloons, etc. Biodegradable salt urns can be used as long as non-toxic glues are used to seal the top.

My Mom passed away March 21st of this year and I granted her wish to be cremated. Her ashes have been interned in a biodegradable bag which is in a biodegradable urn (Decorative box). I have the legal papers with her urn. She wanted the urn to be disposed of at sea.

We are working with Carnival on this to dispose of her ashes in the urn on the Valor Oct. 31st cruise. It will probably be the day after boarding when we are at sea. Carnival is being absolutely wonderful about this and I cannot say enough.

Edited by SHayesShip

I would love to have my ashes scattered at sea. Include my family members celebrating my life aboard a Carnival Cruise in the process? I couldn't imagine my passing to go any other way! Heck, I would be willing to start paying a monthly fee to set up all the arrangements to include all costs for my family to take the cruise. Wonder what a cruise would cost 20 plus years away?

I want my family to have fun and enjoy the life they had with me. I want them taking a shot at the Tequila bar in honor of me! But that's just me....:p

I love this idea as well. What a great way to send a person off; particularly if they liked cruising. I will have to give this strong consideration.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/06/24/carnival-cruise-line-ashes-burials-at-sea/29209833/

I saw this and thought it may interest some of you.

I'm a funeral director and I may have found a way to write my cruises off on my taxes, or maybe I can get a job with Carnival. (you have to have a sense of humor in this business)

following

Interesting. My mother has requested her ashes scattered at sea (not that she's deceased, but it is something we've discussed). We're from Canada though so I'll have to look into being able to transport her remains across the border. Didn't realize that if she was cremated, it would still be an issue like if it was a body.

I was planning to book a cruise with the close family (paying for those closest to my mother - like my dad, brother and his family, my uncle) but really anyone who'd like to come can if they are willing to pay for their cruise fare.

I was going to book a private party through "Carnival Entertains" for afterwards as her memorial service as we would not be having one of those at home.

If Carnival had a service that I could book all of this through, it is probably something I would take advantage of. If not, I can work through their regular group planning department to make it work.

Edited by meatloafsfan

I can see both sides of the issue. We will be spreading my mother in laws ashes during our next cruise. For us, it will only be the 4 of us and that's what we want. We already had her memorial service a couple of years ago and the ash spreading is the final step. It will be a somber occasion for us but only briefly as the rest of the cruise will be a celebration of birthdays and a graduation. We have no desire to do more and she wasn't a cruiser.

Now if this had been many, many years ago when my own mother passed, it could have been a different story. My mother loved cruising and met her second husband (an entertainer) on a ship. I think a celebration like the original poster mentioned would have been perfect for her but it would have had to have been done a year or two after her passing so it would be more of a celebration and the pain would have not been so deep.

Interesting idea.

I have asked my family to do this for me. I have always loved the sea. I was in the US Coast Guard back in the early 80's and love cruising as well. So I told my family to scatter my ashes at sea and then celebrate my memories as they have a good time onboard like we have always done when we went on a cruise. Best tribute I can think of.

I have asked my family to do this for me. I have always loved the sea. I was in the US Coast Guard back in the early 80's and love cruising as well. So I told my family to scatter my ashes at sea and then celebrate my memories as they have a good time onboard like we have always done when we went on a cruise. Best tribute I can think of.

This!!!

USCG in the 90's