Experience of a First Time Cruiser Back from Alaska

newbie_mke

We just returned from the Southbound Star Princess Alaskan Cruise (June 20-27)

First of all many thanks to everyone who helped me thru CC.

Some quick points to pass along to the first time cruisers before I complete my detailed blog-

Weather:

All days except in Ketchikan was in high 70s. Was sweating in Anchorage, in a tee in Glacier Bay. Rain jacket/pants in Ketchikan was very handy.

Anchorage:

We took the train ride to Seward on the first day. Awesome! Not to miss. On the return we took the Gold Class. Worth it, with dinner and 2 drinks.

Transfer to Whittier - Interesting - Since we had already done the train, did not want to invest on the train anymore. Decided to take a morning transportation and do the PWS Cruise before embarking. Was tough to find one way transportation within a reasonable rate. Most of the Cruise Transfers leave ANC at 3 PM, PWS cruise was at 11 AM. Ultimately, found one- MagikBus had a day tour to Whittier for the tourists especially for the PWS Cruises. They agreed to take us along with our luggages. Of course we paid the complete fare (incl Return) - $50 - was cheap considering we had no other option. MagikBus was great. Great guide, stooped at multiple places along the way; which we could see only from the Train the day earlier.

Vancouver - Took the 4hr Post Cruise by Land Sea and the 1 day Victoria tour by them, as well. Land Sea guys were very very good.

On the ports:

1. Skagway - TMESCO Helicopter Dog Sledding was awesome. Also M&M Tour office is near to where the ship docks. Our ship docked next to TMESCO Helicopters and M&M had a temporary booth next to it. So, you should be good to book last minute excursions.

2. Juneau - Local city bus available right from where the ship docks - $3 for the entire day. You can use it to go to the Tour Operator Offices (a mile away) to book last minute plans.

Harv & Marv was awesome - Experienced 4 bubble net feeds. Myth- Dont book the morning tour. We booked the very 1st at 7:30AM. Enough time for photos at the Glacier too.

3. Ketchikan - Lot of local tour operators in the Port, next to the ship. So you should be good here too for last minute tours.

Float plane excursion was cancelled because of the tragedy the day earlier. Lumberjack show was cool and awesome for $35. Bering Sea Fisherman Crab Tour was okay. Over hyped and pricey for the experience especially for us in our 30s. They feed the bald eagles, about 20 of them at the same time. That was one hell of a experience.

Star Princess:

If you are going via the Princess - dont miss their 'North to Alaska' programs on board. They were awesome! And yes, also don't miss the Alaskan Food Fest by the poolside on the Glacier Bay day. Yum! it was. Every night at 9:45 they had a good show in the theater. Try to make it, everyday after dinner.

More later!

Cheers! Alaska was awesome! For sure, this was the first of many more trips to Alaska!

Glad you had a terrific time! We sailed from Seward on the 19th and had terrific weather - just one gloomy day.

We also we fortunate enough to see 'bubble net feeding'. What an awesome sight!

Every time I think I've got it all down, I remember something else that made this trip so amazing.