Seattle or Nanaimo BC, Crown or Coral Princess

We are looking at Princess next fall and the two cruise options differ by 1 port (Seattle or Nanaimo) and by ship (Crown or Coral).

Any opinions, pluses or minuses?

Thanks all!

I would go with Seattle. There is more to do in the city . Nanaimo is a town of 70K people . They get a lot of cruise traffic during the season.

IMO if you want to visit a large, urban, American city then go with Seattle. If you want to visit a smaller, rather quaint Canadian city then visit Nanaimo. As for Nanaimo getting lots of cruise ship traffic there are all of 3 cruise ships visiting this year and 3 next year including the Coral. Nanaimo knocks themselves out to welcome cruisers. People love the restored downtown area, go to visit Cathedral Grove, the unique country store at Coombs with goats on the roof, drive to picturesque Qualicum Beach or Malahat Highway. Most people prefer the Coral because of its size.

• 5 weeks later...

If it's your only chance in your life to see Seattle, and you haven't been, go for Seattle. Otherwise, take advantage of the opportunity to explore Nanaimo. Putterdude's description is spot on, and reminds me why I loved the cruise so much that took me to Nanaimo. Enjoy!

• 5 months later...

If you've never been to Seattle, take that choice. Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square and the Space Needle are great. There is a new giant ferris wheel-type ride on the waterfront. Haven't tried it yet, but is similar to the London Eye.

If you've been to Seattle, the Nanaimo is a great option. Be sure to try a Nanaimo Bar!

Having lived an hour south of Nanaimo, I would say Seattle but putterdude gives you some great advice/guidelines. If you do go to Nanaimo there are a few things to do but if you're up for a hike (not too strenuous) then look at taking the Harbour Ferry from Maffeo-Sutton Park over to Newcastle Island, which is a Provincial Park. There is a neat old pavilion, historical information about the mining there, plus you can walk around the island in about 2 hours.