Healthy Eating Out Ideas

Singer4Him

Alrighty, guys! I'm needing some fresh ideas for eating out and still eating healthy, particularly fast food. :eek: That's almost an oxymoron, I know, but I know that it can be done.

Let me preface this by saying that I cook supper at home most every night and we usually eat lunch at home, as well, so we're not eating out all the time. I would just like to have some other options for when we do and would love to hear from you guys.

The way it stands right now, DH and I eat Chick-fil-a (love their grilled chicken nuggets & fruit cup), Captain D's (salmon), McAlister's Deli (chicken tortilla soup) and a local Japanese place that has some good stir fry. I love Subway but, honestly, I'm trying to keep my carbs in check so a sandwich wouldn't really be conducive. ;)

What are some of your favorite places to eat out and what do you order?

For me - it's all about researching the "secret menu's" that most places now have.

In N Out Burger has their burgers available "protein style" - no bun, it's wrapped in a giant lettuce leaf. Without the sauce it really knocks down the calorie count.. Maybe other burger joints would do the same if you ask.

Popeye's chicken tenders can be ordered "blackened" - no breading but plenty spicy and way less calories and fat.

The dressing on Olive Garden salads are stupid high in calories - ask for it on the side or you'll blow your fat and calorie budget before the main entree makes it to the table.

Margherita pizza, flatbreads from almost anywhere is a thin crust, minimal cheese, lots of veggies type of pizza fix, with chicken for lean protein.

The Panera, Wildflower Bread Co., etc. are dangerous - the most healthy looking stuff winds up being way to big on calories and fat if you take it as it is - they almost always need "adjustment" to get it in line with a decent calorie count meal.

My Fitness Pal is a great, thorough, free app that usually has fairly accurate nutritional info on just about everything out there that is a chain.

I'll add if I think of more, but you covered some other favorites of mine.

Singer4Him, do you have any Sweet Tomatoes in your area? They have a fabulous salad bar. You create your own salad and can choose your dressing from a variety there. They also have delicious soups. You will have to stay away from some of their tempting breads, pizzas and their famous blue berry muffins. You can really blow your diet on those things or you can eat a very healthy diet there if you can resist the goodies.

They change up their soups and some salad fixings every couple of weeks, so it never gets tiresome. They also offer generous coupons. You may be able to print them right off the computer.

They also have containers for you to take out food and pay for it based on the container size.

The decor is similar to a Panera. It is self help but someone comes around to clear the tables. You don't need to do that yourself.

Popeye's chicken tenders can be ordered "blackened" - no breading but plenty spicy and way less calories and fat.

My Fitness Pal is a great, thorough, free app that usually has fairly accurate nutritional info on just about everything out there that is a chain.

I'll add if I think of more, but you covered some other favorites of mine.

Thanks for all the info. Thanks, especially for the Popeye's info. I had no idea. I love Popeye's so I may have to give that a try sometime.

Also, I've been using My Fitness Pal off and on for a few years. Been "back on the wagon" so to speak since May of this year. I love being able to plan and have an idea of how many calories I've consumed and how many I've got left for the day.

Singer4Him, do you have any Sweet Tomatoes in your area?

I've not heard of Sweet Tomatoes. I've heard of Sweet Peppers which is very similar to McAlister's and Newks if you know anything about either of those.

Unfortunately, our city is somewhat limited in the area of restaurants. I would love to try Chipotle but there's not one anywhere close to us.

Thanks again to both of you for your replies! I love being able to come here and find others who are on the same weight loss journey.