Broke my Ankle and leave four weeks from today!

jfried8

Awesome. Ask your doc or therapist about a knee scooter. So much easier to get around. Also ask about what kind of cast you will be in by cruise date. There are some that can get wet.

Another thing you might want to think about is changing to a handicap stateroom. Mom just sailed in one and it was really nice to not have a step up into the bathroom and the seat in the shower was great. I don't get why people want to book them if they don't need them cause you lose some cabin space to gain the larger bathroom but I really worked well for mom.

We did buy insurance and weren't really cruising for the ports...it's a Florida and Bahamas run...eh. I really don't want to cancel the cruise. Is it feasible to go under the current conditions?

It's up to you and your doctors. We've seen pax with two broken ankles sailing in Alaska.

Since you weren't planning on zip lining, etc if your Drs ok it then go.

In terms of getting around, you'll be fine. In terms of what you were planning to do on the ship/ excursions, that may be a question. I'll say this, if it were me, unless my doctor told me not to go because I need surgery, I'd go. I'd love to play craps sitting in a chair.

We currently have a Vista Suite...can't really change to a handicapped right now right?

You can always check to see if a handicap is still open. I know the 9th Pride has a lot open still, maybe a handicap is still open or they have someone in it that doesn't need it, that does happen and they let the people know that they could be moved if needed

If I downgrade, will I get the money difference back? Also, I agree. If I stay home I'll just be laying on my couch. I also don't know about returning back to work. This is a workers comp claim as it happened on the job and my vacation is smack in the middle of my likely Leave of absence. Anyone from the HR world?

I'm so sorry about your injury. Last year I fractured my arm the morning of my cruise, it was touch and go because I had to go to the emergency room but we were still able to cruise. My concern for you will be your ability to get in and out of your bathroom with your cast and having to step up and down. Have you considered contacting Carnival and finding out if there are any handicapped accessible suites available? I definitely wouldn't cancel if it's medically feasible, this cruise may be what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

Good luck to you.

I broke my ankle 2 years ago, I was lucky and it wasn't a complete break and I didn't need surgery. After 3 or 4 weeks I had improved enough to use a boot and have the cast taken off.

Hope things work out for you and you can still enjoy your cruise.

Carnival is very accommodating with these issues.

On the pride they only have one accessible suite and it is a GRAND SUITE.

It is cabin 6182 on the empress deck. I know they will let you upgrade.

You can contact special needs at sea and rent a scooter. I rent one on

every cruise we take. It is waiting in your cabin when you open the

door. HAPPY SAILING!!!

Yeah I'm going to wait and see how my call with my HR department goes tomorrow, they've been great so far although I'm not sure how a vacation smack in the middle of my LOA will go over, and then I'll see what the Ortho says whether I need surgery or not. He ER doctor after looking at the X-rays said most likely I won't need surgery. When both those processes are done, most likely mid week this week, I'll make the decision whether to stick with my room, upgrade to the Grand Suite, or cancel all together and use my insurance. I love hearing everyone's stories so keep them coming. You guys are all amazing and uplifting.

I had a grade 3 tear on my calf 2 days before a European cruise on Cunard.

I had a choice of 1. staying home and having surgery or 2. proceeding with my travel plans.

I proceeded with my travel plans and crutched around all over Europe / Mediterranean.

No regrets.

Enjoy your cruise. :-)

I broke my left ankle a few years ago and had it pinned then plastered. The two huge screws are still in there. My surgeon told me to use crutches for the first 5 weeks then start walking on it for the last week or so.

If he only knew that I worked as a Picture Framer and, because it was a one-man business, I was carrying on regardless, even carrying sheets of glass. My best aid was a cheap plastic stool which I used to rest my left knee on, leaving my right foot free to operate the various machines' foot pedals. it is surprising what you can do when you have to. :D Stairs are easy enough on crutches but I would avoid ladders, especially metal ones for obvious reasons.

If I were you I would ask your surgeon if pinning it would speed up the process and if you could start weight bearing a little bit earlier. Certainly, after the first week I had zero pain - the only problem was occasional swelling if I stood for too long. I also used an acupuncturist which helped a lot, although my surgeon rubbished it (and he was Chinese too?) Failing that, take elbow crutches as well as full-length ones as they will allow you a bit more mobility.

Medicos tend to be pretty conservative so factor that in and remember it is your call - just make sure if you have travel insurance that you declare this injury to the company and make sure they will not refuse a claim if things go pear-shaped. They may well exclude any claim arising from your 'disability" or want a few more dollars.

Finally, if you are determined to go practise walking with your crutches - it can be tricky and involves a lot of muscles you don't normally use that way so get your training in ahead of time.

Sorry about your injury but the way I look at it is that you already had the time scheduled for your cruise right??? What can they do about an on the job Injury?? I really don't see how they would have a problem with it. Good luck and hopefully you'll heal quick. Enjoy your cruise!

It's disappointing to say the least. But think of it this way, yours is temporary and fixable. You have a nice cabin to relax in, a friend to help if needed, Carnival can help roll you on the ship if needed to save the walk up the ramp.

What everyone else said. My only concern is at 4 weeks, the bone is just starting to heal so you still will have a lot of swelling. My DH broke his tibia on 6/5 and he is still swelling a lot and uncomfortable. I would plan on taking it very easy, wearing a compression sock and taking asprin and aleve. Good luck, OP!.