San Petersburg tour ticket

Hi,

I booked a private tour in San Petersburg and I just received my tour ticket. I noticed that date of birth is incorrect on the tour ticket. I asked the tour company to reissue a new ticket but they replied that it is not easy to reissue a new one and told me to use the one with incorrect information.

The cruise starts in less than 3 weeks time.

I just wonder if I should cancel the tour. Do they check everything at passport control? Would the DOB be an issue?

Thanks.

Edited by polpetta

Hi,

I booked a private tour in San Petersburg and I just received my tour ticket. I noticed that date of birth is incorrect on the tour ticket. I asked the tour company to reissue a new ticket but they replied that it is not easy to reissue a new one and told me to use the one with incorrect information.

I just wonder if I should cancel the tour. Do they check everything at passport control? Would the DOB be an issue?

Thanks.

The first morning through passport control our inspector took a considerable amount of time studying our documents -- ship's card, tour ticket and passport. He spent enough time that I began to worry that he detected a problem. Ultimately, he cleared us through and we did day 1 of two glorious days on a private tour.

As for what you should do , only you can calibrate your comfort level. You MAY have a hard time at passport control. My first reaction was better the tour company have a hard time than I have a hard time. Can you prove the error was theirs? If so, I'd be inclined to press them to fix the problem no matter how much effort. Have you told the company you're considering canceling? What was their reaction? What is your fall back solution if you cancel?

And frankly depending on how they solve this problem it may be time to name names. There are enough good companies that this refusal should be shared .

I'm surprised to read that the date of birth is printed on your ticket. I was just reviewing my ALLA tickets and the only personal information on the tickets is full name and nationality. I did provide passport # and DOB to ALLA but neither appears on the ticket. Sorry this does not help OP. Just surprised is all.

I am also very surprised that a DOB would be on a simple tour ticket. That is very personal info and should not be open for public display.

I am also very surprised that a tour company would not make this simple change for you. Most of the companies bend over backwards to appease their clients. I'd be very curious to know which company this is.

Both things seem troubling.

Cheers

Len

I am also very surprised that a DOB would be on a simple tour ticket. That is very personal info and should not be open for public display.

I am also very surprised that a tour company would not make this simple change for you. Most of the companies bend over backwards to appease their clients. I'd be very curious to know which company this is.

Both things seem troubling

We happily used White Nights Travel during our visit to SPB. ( it's nice to add a new name to the list of well regarded tour agencies) The only information on our tickets was name, dates of visit, beginning and end time of each day's tour. So I'll join the group of surprised people that the birthday is printed on the ticket, but I'm not concerned about a privacy violation. The only person who will handle the ticket other than the OP is the passport control official and he/ she already has access to much more information in the passport itself.

Since most tickets don't include birthday, the OP's wrong date may be irrelevant. However, since the company listed the info on the ticket , it must think the birthday is important, and official documents ought to be right.

(The ticket also included the name of the company and what I believe was the company's license as a company authorized to offer blanket visas.)

OP, please let us know how this works out. SPB is too glorious a port call to miss or have time wasted in administrative nonsense.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Thank you all for the replies. From your replies I understand that tickets can have different formats.

On our tour tickets name, DOB and passport number, ship name and dates are printed.

They will amend the ticket but they told that it is not straight away because apparently border agency also receives a copy.

As there is 2 weeks for departure I hope it arrives on time. However, according to them the error is not issue and I can use the one I have already have.

Thank you all for the replies. From your replies I understand that tickets can have different formats.

On our tour tickets name, DOB and passport number, ship name and dates are printed.

They will amend the ticket but they told that it is not straight away because apparently border agency also receives a copy.

As there is 2 weeks for departure I hope it arrives on time. However, according to them the error is not issue and I can use the one I have already have.

If you don't mind, which tour company are you using? I would like to know for my own benefit. thanks

Cheers

Len

I would be very careful on the information. We had a similar mistake on birthdate information and I sent corrected information to my travel company. We used TJ TRAVEL in St Petersburg and always had a 12 hour response or answer to anythig we wrote. Remember, this is not just a tour ticket but also a VISA. Our guard looked over our information very carefully the first day.

The custom agents appear to be extremely thorough - or extremely slow. It was the first time our family could not go to passport control together (we had a 3 year old with us) and my husband had to go up to the window by himself. They slowly and carefully checked his documents before waving him through and letting my son and I come up to the booth. I really wouldn't take any chances with the Russian custom agents, and I'm glad they will try to change your ticket.

Hi,

Thanks.

I would have a problem with a company that wanted me to present incorrect information to passport control. I'd want it corrected. This is not something I'd want to be trying to explain in person. Just the right passport control agent and my luck, he'd deny us entry.

Can you please share this company? I'm planning our trip and want to have a heads up.

Our tickets, booked through the biggest St Petersburg tour operator, Arctur, had only our names, destination, time of the tour and "Arctur" printed on them on plain white paper.

They looked very unofficial and amateurish but they worked a treat!

Edited by Bollinge