Do I book a 3rd person I'm not sure about?

siberianfan

I am booking a cruise for May and know for sure there will be 2 of us. There is a 50/50 chance that a 3rd person may join us. Is it better to book all 3 people and cancel the 3rd if necessary, or is it better to book for 2 and add the 3rd later?

Yes, it is definitely better to book the third one now. You can cancel 3rd-8th passengers without any penalties as long as you are outside 100% cancellation period (on most regular week long cruises in regular cabins that is up until 15 days before the cruise).

Yes, it is definitely better to book the third one now. You can cancel 3rd-8th passengers without any penalties as long as you are outside 100% cancellation period (on most regular week long cruises in regular cabins that is up until 15 days before the cruise).

Who's paying the deposit for the third person? I would not fork out my own money for this situation, it's too easy for them to not take things seriously.

I am booking a cruise for May and know for sure there will be 2 of us. There is a 50/50 chance that a 3rd person may join us. Is it better to book all 3 people and cancel the 3rd if necessary, or is it better to book for 2 and add the 3rd later?

Book all three now. Much easier to cancel one later than to add. As mentioned earlier, if you are outside final payment, deposit will be refunded. Twice I've tried to add an additional pax to my reservation, and both times it was a nightmare.

Who's paying the deposit for the third person? I would not fork out my own money for this situation, it's too easy for them to not take things seriously.

Isn't the third person free now so no impact on the deposit?

I would go ahead and book the third person now and cancel if you have to. You may not have the ability to add the person later depending on how full the cruise gets. I've seen posts about people trying to add after the fact and haven't been able to due to lifeboat capacity. If more people book third and fourth passengers, the lifeboats fill up faster.