For anyone interested in prepaying the new Service Charge rate

TheDougOut

I had already prepaid the service charge for our upcoming trip, but wanted to bump this to the new August 1st rate. I called NCL, and the rep checked with her manager to see if there was any way to accomplish this. They didn't believe the system would allow them to do this, and suggested visiting guest services once on board and asking for the adjustment to be added to our room.

Since the charge is only $15.40 for the four of us, it's obviously no big deal to let this hit the onboard account vs. paying it ahead of time.

Am I serious? Yes - I really called and asked them to do this. If this recent move was NCL's way of encouraging guests to show their support of the onboard crew, I'm all for it. After all, they spend 9 months away from their families working grueling hours in order for us to enjoy a week or more dedicated to ours. I'll gladly pay another $15.40 to show my support of what they do.

Having said all that, I understand those of us that are less than thrilled with the way NCL has implemented recent changes. It would certainly appear that we're in a transitional period under new leadership. I'm not supportive of every change that has been made, and remain uncertain if I'll continue to favor the line when making future bookings.

Time will tell how all of this pans out. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy one hell of a trip with my family, and I hope I can show my appreciation for the crew along the way.

I had already prepaid the service charge for our upcoming trip, but wanted to bump this to the new August 1st rate. I called NCL, and the rep checked with her manager to see if there was any way to accomplish this. They didn't believe the system would allow them to do this, and suggested visiting guest services once on board and asking for the adjustment to be added to our room.

Since the charge is only $15.40 for the four of us, it's obviously no big deal to let this hit the onboard account vs. paying it ahead of time.

Am I serious? Yes - I really called and asked them to do this. If this recent move was NCL's way of encouraging guests to show their support of the onboard crew, I'm all for it. After all, they spend 9 months away from their families working grueling hours in order for us to enjoy a week or more dedicated to ours. I'll gladly pay another $15.40 to show my support of what they do.

Having said all that, I understand those of us that are less than thrilled with the way NCL has implemented recent changes. It would certainly appear that we're in a transitional period under new leadership. I'm not supportive of every change that has been made, and remain uncertain if I'll continue to favor the line when making future bookings.

Time will tell how all of this pans out. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy one hell of a trip with my family, and I hope I can show my appreciation for the crew along the way.

Kudos! They're always surprised at Guest Services when I want to add tips for the concierge & butler... so many are there for a contra-purpose.

H

You are aware the charge is $15.50 per person per day, right? Not just an additional $15.50. Or are you saying the additional increase is only a total of $15.40 for your family?

And if you want to further reward the hard working staff, just hand out some cash to those you feel are most deserving at time of service or at the end of the cruise, or have guest services add it to your account.

Edited by punkincc

You are aware the charge is $15.50 per person per day, right? Not just an additional $15.50. Or are you saying the additional increase is only a total of $15.40 for your family?

Yep - I had previously prepaid the service charge. The increase is $0.55 per person per day x 4 guests x 7 days = $15.40.

And if you want to further reward the hard working staff, just hand out some cash to those you feel are most deserving at time of service or at the end of the cruise, or have guest services add it to your account.

I completely agree. We always take cash on board - tipping our stewards on the first and last day, and leaving $1 per drink for bar service. I believe in the past we charged specialty dining tips to our on-board account, but now with the increased auto-gratuity I may just leave additional, when warranted, in cash.

This works great for all of the front line staff, and they're often very expressive in their appreciation. What this fails to recognize is all the hard working staff behind the scenes, whom are working just as hard to make our vacation enjoyable. It's my understanding that this is where the DSC helps out, which is why I'm eager to pay the new suggested amount in addition to the cash tipping.

If you pre paid in advance the price increase does not apply to you. You are already locked in.

Why not just give the standout crew cash?

Rule number 1 - you never brag about doing something for someone else, real or imagined. It just lacks class.

After reading the many posts yesterday by people that were offended by the increased service charge rates, I thought it was worthwhile to share my view of the subject. As I said in my original post, I can understand the many opinions expressed on the subject.

If discussions on how to avoid paying the new rate are fair game, so should discussions on how to actually pay it. I understand why both have the potential to draw criticism.

Rule number 2 - that extra cash should have been given directly to the steward / wait staff/ etc., not to NCL.

My understanding of the SC is that it's distributed to both the front line and the behind the scenes crew. My hope is that this nominal increase actually reaches the crew, and it's not a cost-saving measure by the higher ups. If the latter proves to be true, I'd try to address it with them in a way that wouldn't inflict a penalty on the crew.

How silly.

I don't completely disagree. $3.85 total per person for a 7-day cruise.

Happy Cruising,

Doug

I think what most people are most upset about is not the additional $.55 per person per day, but the way that NCL corporate management is going about sneaking in multiple increases, changes in policy and overall decreases in the value of the purchased cruise.

We have a cruise booked for 8/1 on the Getaway, booked over 6 months ago and already have had 2 increases in the DSC, room service fees added, increases in the costs of certain specialty restaurants. People book a vacation with a certain overall budget in mind and while none of these are significant individually, in total for a large family travelling, it does have an effect. The cruise will really need to WOW us in order for us to ever feel comfortable booking an NCL cruise again.

I didn't pre pay the gratuities for my October cruise, so I assume I will pay the higher rate -which is fine with me.

I'm baffled when I see CC members racing to pay so they don't get charged the higher rate.

I plan to pay what they ask & tip extra just like ever other cruise I've been on.

But you did give me an idea -if I see that I am charged the lower rate (as I already paid for my cruise in full) I will add the higher rate once on board. I've never been disappointed in the service from anyone connected to NCL. I'm happy to pay the increase.

After reading the many posts yesterday by people that were offended by the increased service charge rates, I thought it was worthwhile to share my view of the subject. As I said in my original post, I can understand the many opinions expressed on the subject.

If discussions on how to avoid paying the new rate are fair game, so should discussions on how to actually pay it. I understand why both have the potential to draw criticism.

My understanding of the SC is that it's distributed to both the front line and the behind the scenes crew. My hope is that this nominal increase actually reaches the crew, and it's not a cost-saving measure by the higher ups. If the latter proves to be true, I'd try to address it with them in a way that wouldn't inflict a penalty on the crew.

Happy Cruising,

Doug

Doug, I really appreciate that you started this discussion. I too, prefer to be optimistic and hope the DSC is going to the crew as promised. While we have always appreciated their hard work and effort to make our vacation special, it was still an eye opener to do the behind the scenes tour and get to see the many people working hard to operate the ship.

There are many "vacation heroes" who never get noticed because they are never seen by the public.

You all don't understand. OP thinks all these increases go to the crew; so to feel superior to those ticked off about being squeezed, OP rang up NCL and gave them an extra $15.40 so they could have forum bragging rights and feel superior to others.

The better part of valor is discretion. OP just wanted to brag but really just handed NCL $15 for nothing.

Exactly this.....if OP was really so selfless they would not have come here to brag that they did this....attention seeking at its finest....SMH

6&8

Rule number 1 - you never brag about doing something for someone else, real or imagined. It just lacks class.

Rule number 2 - that extra cash should have been given directly to the steward / wait staff/ etc., not to NCL.

How silly.

We just pre-paid our gratuities for an upcoming cruise and save $27. I will use that money to provide extra tips to those onboard like my steward. They can use the money not NCL.

OP -- I'm glad you posted this. I travel solo and usually pay double the recommended tip because I don't think the staff should be paid less because the cabin is not fully booked. I prepaid my Norwegian Breakaway service charge and planned to add to it once on board but it looks like I won't be able to do that. I now know to take extra cash for tips (and perhaps ask about giving to a crew fund, if they have one).

LOL. How silly.

I prepay mine since it makes reading the onboard account easy for me and more money to play with. With the pocket changed I 'saved' for prepaying; I'll just tip my room steward and/or waiter(s) more, whether in cash or sail card.

To the OP - thanks for sharing how you have chosen to express your appreciation for the services provided on board.

I'm sure your generosity will extend further and you will have a wonderful cruise with your family. You're off to a great start.

Happy sailing!

I was always under the impression that gratuities, whether on land or on a cruise, were an extra given based on the level of service received. Regardless of the amount NCL charges, I just have a problem with being automatically charged for gratuities. In some cases, I believe this reduces the level of service.

In addition, whether it was the specialty restaurants, bar servers or the room stewards, I always tipped well above the current charge (prior to auto gratuities). Now, I will comply with NCL's gratuity policies, but that will be all. No extras.