Grand Cayman on your own?

cstooge462

Hi everyone, I will be on the Explorer of the Seas in April and I was wondering has anyone ever explored grand cayman on their own? If you have, was it easy to navigate the roads or are they confusing? I am looking to explore the island and see all the sights. Also, can anyone recommend what some of the highlights of the island are.

Thank you so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

We were in Grand Cayman Sept. 20 and rented a jeep from Avis for $80. They picked us up in town at the Blue Iguana and took us to their office. They will also bring you back to town when you are done. Here is a website for Avis

http://aviscayman.com/cruise.htm#Pickup_Information

They will give you a map. We drove the cost line then when to rum point and finger cay. It was relatively easy to get around but remember to drive on the left. You can view our pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/angawsmrn@sbcglobal.net look for the albums titled Miracle in Grand Cayman and Victory in Grand Cayman. Rum Point is a beautiful beach and is not crowed like Seven Mile. They have a bar and cafe with great food and drinks. Red Sail Water Sport is next door and you can rent water toys or take a tour with them. Their site is http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html Hope this helps! Have a great time!!

Robert & Angela

I have heard of many people doing this and having a great time. Rum Point, Stingray City (can't drive there), Hell, Turtle Farm, Rumcake Factory, Seven Mile Beach, these are some of the more popular areas near Georgetown. There are other areas on the eastern end of the island, but I don't have much information concerning those.

We are going to be in Cayman on December 26th off Galaxy and are considering doing the rental car. We would also like to take in Sting Ray City. Is it practical to drive to wherever you can pick up a boat to go out and then still have plenty of time to drive around the rest of the island and take in Rum Point? If we drove out to Rum Point, would Red Sail Sports be a good place to use to go out to Sting Ray City? Not sure where these places are in relation to each other or how much time we should allow for the boat trip and snorkeling. Any feedback appreciated.

We are going to be in Cayman on December 26th off Galaxy and are considering doing the rental car. We would also like to take in Sting Ray City. Is it practical to drive to wherever you can pick up a boat to go out and then still have plenty of time to drive around the rest of the island and take in Rum Point? If we drove out to Rum Point, would Red Sail Sports be a good place to use to go out to Sting Ray City? Not sure where these places are in relation to each other or how much time we should allow for the boat trip and snorkeling. Any feedback appreciated.

From the Avis office which is out by the airport, it took about 45 min to drive to Rum Point. Red Sail does offer a stingray excursion but you would need to check on the time frame. Remember Grand Cayman does not observe day light savings. Red Sail is literaly next door to Rum Point. That is where we rented our wave runner. The drive back to town took about an hour with more trafic out on the roads. Let us know if you have more questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful about which Red Sail you rent from, they have several locations on Cayman. We go twice a year and are very familiar with the island, feel free to pm me. Andy's is also a very good rental place, at the airport, friendly and reliable...Have fun!

Archived