Cozumel Dolphins

monijohn

Anyone want to comment on Dolphin experiences at Cozumel? We've wanted to do the whole thing (for a long time) but so far not getting much positive feedback on this location's adventures. If we skip it, probably will snorkle, any references are appreciated. On the Galaxy, Panama Cruise from Galveston, depart 31 Oct, 05. Thanks

Thanks twinkletoes, video info appreciated ;) . You'll notice this was my first post compared to your 467th, doubt if I'll catch up.

We are an older couple (66) but very comfortable in water environments. Trying to decide which package to take beyond the basic encounter. Also trying to convince some younger cruisemates to join us.

Lastly wonder if reservations fill up early?

Astro Fan

Sounds like you are in the zone. Surprised you took the time to watch boards and answer. Will you be leaving area soon? Our Daughter and family are evacuating from Lake Jackson as I write. They will be with friends in Dallas area. Hope for the best to all in the area, maybe Rita will die (a little) before landfall.

We wonder what may happen short term and long term to Cruise terminals in Galveston, our departure port.

I don't know if it was the timing or what, but we're cruising Thanksgiving week and coincidentally will be in Cozumel on Thanksgiving day, and I was told that 6 weeks was sufficient, but when I looked into booking, 2 of the 4 times available were already closed out and this was 4 months ahead of time!!:eek: We are doing the Royal Swim.

With this in mind, you may want to visit the dolphindiscovery.com site and input your prerequisites and see what happens. (Pretend you're starting the booking process.)

Good Luck.

Thanks twinkletoes, video info appreciated ;) . You'll notice this was my first post compared to your 467th, doubt if I'll catch up.

We are an older couple (66) but very comfortable in water environments. Trying to decide which package to take beyond the basic encounter. Also trying to convince some younger cruisemates to join us.

You'll love it. If you really want to do this, I'd book in advance. If I remember correctly, there were eight in our group (and three total groups of dolphins-I think), so spaces are limited. It seems like we paid $119 per person, plus a $10 fee to enter the park (it was a few years ago, so the prices may have gone up a bit). Our kids wanted to do the swim, not the encounter. The dolphins pulled them, pushed them out of the water, jumped over a pole (while the kids held the pole), and other things...it's been a few years ago, so I've forgotten some things.

I was concerned booking early, but everything worked out fine. There are plenty of cabs, so getting there was no problem. I did take along a copy of my credit card statement, and was glad I did. The dolphin place said we'd only held a reservation, not paid for it. But it was no big deal, I told them I paid, and showed the the statement, and they had no problem. Sheri (at Cozumel Insider) was really great to work with. I even called her with some questions. She's really a nice lady to work with.

The video is so neat (they may even have a DVD these days. Just make sure and get the US video, not the European format-they ask). It's set to music, and slow-motion in some places, and has a group shot of everyone in your group. I think the individual pictures were $16 each, but they cut us a deal because we bought all 16 pictures.

We saw kids from as young as 9 or so, all the way up to 70's participating in the swim. Make sure and take a water camera (and put your name on it with a Sharpie). Our kids took some really great pictures while they were in the water. They were able to pass the camera off to other participants while they were with the dolphins (which is why you want you name on it-the gal that held my kids, had her own camera with her).

You'll be surprised how fast your posts pile up...especially after you return! We've only cruised once, but I still hang out here. I love cruising and hope to do it again in the near future. We loved Grand Cayman so much, we're going back there for a week this winter. I just love the warm sand smooshing between my toes...and the blue, blue water.

Have a great time! :)

We did the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab in June. They were having a sale and my 4 year old daughter was free with one adult purchase. My wife took her and I manned the camcorder. There must have been some sort of mix up that day. We waited for our group where they told us and no one showed up. After about 15 minutes I went and asked and they told us they would be ready in a few minutes. We found out we were in a group by ourselves. The guide, My wife, my daughter and three dolphins! My daughter loved it, but was a little afraid a first. We bought the DVD (wasn't going to, but it was great) and was able to print pictures from it. We also bought a few pictures. This was probably the best thing we did on the cruise.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Info was super and appreciated. Funny how things reverse. Now my wife wants to wait for opportunity for us to dolphin swim with the grandchildren (in the future). Others in our party who hesitated earlier are now gung-ho and reserving. We may try at last days and join them.

John

My friend did the Royal Swim at Chaakanaab and it was the highlight of her cruise! We are bringing our daughter this time and she will be doing the dolphini swim and snorkel/sea lion encounter. www.cozumelinsider.com seems to have some great deals!!

Has anyone done the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel instead of the Royal Swim?

L.A.S.T.

Archived