Picking up purchased liquor on debarkation

MsMot

I really don't know. I did ask John Heald if he could tell us why but got no reply. I am just wondering if it is because of wrong deliveries or broken bottles. My sister got a 4 pack on one cruise that she didn't order. She reported it and the cabin steward came back and got it. We have had a bottle broken before and they had to replace it. This may not have anything to do with it. It is just a theory. Maybe some folks do get drunk on the last night. I have never seen it maybe because we usually cruise in the off season with more seniors aboard.

If he did answer you would get the company line that some people were over drinking their liquor the last night so Carnival did that to control their drinking.

If you believe that have a slightly used bridge for sale.

Do you really think Carnival is concerned with alcohol sales? The time and manpower needed for delivery all over a ship is ridiculous. A lot of wasted time.

It won't affect you anyway, you've already posted you don't need to buy it on board as you buy from a place near you.

With that logic, free room service is a waste of time.

Thanks, I am wondering the same thing. Was even told that I said that we would stop cruising with Carnival over this, shaking my head over that one.

Nice to save a few bucks on booze but not worth it in this case.

The one thing that probably will tempt me is getting some things on land that I can't get back in the states.

That will probably just be determined by post-cruise travel plans.

All this speculation. This new rule went into effect the same time, the water police changed the rules. This has nothing to do with your convenience, sales in the bars, sales in the stores etc.

This is to control the binge drinking on the last night. The loud parties. The scraping up people from the floor, and trying to get them to their room. The trying to wake people up to get them off the ship.

I'm not sure what triggered this change, but I do believe the liquor sales will go down. And, those that don't think they make money off the liquor sold onboard, you are kidding yourself! #1, Carnival wouldn't waste precious real estate on a ship if the shop wasn't profitable. #2 I was in restaurant business for years and the profit margin on liquor is outrageous. Most restaurants make all their profit off liquor sold, very small % on food. #3 I think the # of people who actually open those bottles delivered on the last night is a small %. Who wants to pack an open bottle when flying? Also, on my last cruise, Liquor was delivered early evening while we were at dinner, not leaving a lot of time to booze it up! JMHO!!

Pat

They usually have to deliver the stuff to the ship and have to account for their sales so the cruise line can get credit for sales to their passengers.

Then why do you see people running around carrying their own booze, checking it in when they return to the ship? That's not delivery. Really, a store is going to send an employee to deliver 1 bottle of booze?

In my opinion, this new rule is very poor customer service. Who wants to wait on line in a long line the last morning then frantically pack your booze in a suitcase if you have a flight to catch? I sailed July 9 on the Fascination, the first cruise to sail with the new no bottle rule and picking up booze rule. The no bottle thing was not really a big deal as I ordered the $2.99 water and brought on soda cans and red bull cans. I did have a security guy make me throw out an empty Dasani bottle in my backpack which was ridiculous.

We bought 2 bottles of vodka at the onboard shop and tried to get them the last night a 9PM and was denied. Very bad feeling after this. I was on line at 6AM to pick up liquor and there was already a long line of people waiting and only 2 staff members helping out. It took about 20-30 min, but this is 20-30 min too long for me. This is inconveniencing to the customer and I don't think it has anything to do with people getting drunk the last night of the cruise. Just more cutbacks. I won't be buying booze on anymore Carnival cruises. Will check out the booze policy on NCL when I sail them soon.

What I'm finding odd is they are already contaminating their own policy. I see people posting specific needs to bring on board, the latest being Ensure. JH gave that the green light. Still not sure if that's even his call.

Which means anyone can easily now fill Ensure bottles, which are not clear, with anything and reseal the bottles.

I really don't know. I did ask John Heald if he could tell us why but got no reply. I am just wondering if it is because of wrong deliveries or broken bottles. My sister got a 4 pack on one cruise that she didn't order. She reported it and the cabin steward came back and got it. We have had a bottle broken before and they had to replace it. This may not have anything to do with it. It is just a theory. Maybe some folks do get drunk on the last night. I have never seen it maybe because we usually cruise in the off season with more seniors aboard.

I do not know if there are any possible penalties that could be inflicted on Carnival if people consume duty-free purchases on the ship rather than taking them off and reporting them to customs. I know that Carnival has to record all of the turned in duty-free purchases that they manage in order to make sure that it is returned to the owners. I am not sure if those records have to be shown to the customs during the ship clearing process at debarkation, or not. Everyone assumes that there is no possible liability to Carnival for people on the ship violating laws. But there could be, and we don't know it.

No...I actually think Carnival will be jumping up and down with glee that passengers are no longer bringing cart loads of booze back from their Island tours that has to be handled, stored, and distributed all on Carnival's dime.

Some people just don't see it!!! (Of course they don't want to).

Maybe they could make a change in the delivery system. Deliver on board purchases the night before. Keep the port purchases separate with a morning pick up. I agree with the concept of Carnival not delivering things bought in port as it's a cost to them.

I do not know if there are any possible penalties that could be inflicted on Carnival if people consume duty-free purchases on the ship rather than taking them off and reporting them to customs. I know that Carnival has to record all of the turned in duty-free purchases that they manage in order to make sure that it is returned to the owners. I am not sure if those records have to be shown to the customs during the ship clearing process at debarkation, or not. Everyone assumes that there is no possible liability to Carnival for people on the ship violating laws. But there could be, and we don't know it.

None exist. There are still lines that allow any alcohol. This is all a rule, not a regulation or law.

Some people just don't see it!!! (Of course they don't want to).

Maybe they could make a change in the delivery system. Deliver on board purchases the night before. Keep the port purchases separate with a morning pick up. I agree with the concept of Carnival not delivering things bought in port as it's a cost to them.

Okay, let's make this whole process even more complicated by needing two systems and two delivery processes to manage ship versus on shore purchases. Brilliant idea!

None exist. There are still lines that allow any alcohol. This is all a rule, not a regulation or law.

So now you are a customs expert and know that there are no requirements for Carnival to disclose their management of duty-free materials that people have purchased or brought on the ship. Duty-free regulations are laws, not a rule. Check it out before you make any more silly statements.

So now you are a customs expert and know that there are no requirements for Carnival to disclose their management of duty-free materials that people have purchased or brought on the ship. Duty-free regulations are laws, not a rule. Check it out before you make any more silly statements.

No they are not. Do you disclose any other duty free purchases to Carnival, or is that between you and customs on the form you are personally responsible for?

Hasn't this thread covered a gamete of liquor topics:) with a whole lot of unsubstantiated theories and downright off the wall speculation and the entire thing has been mixed up in a giant cement mixer and spewed out.

There are four ways to purchase bottled liquor on a cruise. 1) from Carnival direct which delivers it to your room when ordered so you can consume it any time you want 2) from the onboard shop which means you want to take it home and which is definitely connected to Carnival who gets at least "some" of the profit since these stores are usually run by a third party 3) From the pier shops which may or may not pay an overhead to the cruise (lines) who dock at the pier 4) from local stores which are totally independent of the cruise line.

Other than the bottles delivered for consumption the rest of the liquor is brought to the ship (by passengers directly or by delivery service (if that does exist...I wouldn't have a clue)) and along with onboard purchases is stored by Carnival for the duration of the cruise.

Carnival has now determined it is in their best interest to distribute these stored bottles on debark day for whatever reasons (last night consumption, economic, man-power, breakage, incorrect delivery information, etc.).

And the bottom line for the consumer is that if they want to take full bottles of liquor off the ship (no matter how they purchased it) they will need to pick it up the final morning. Any "loss in revenue from sales" has been analyzed by Carnival and these losses are presumably not enough to warrant the continued use of the old system of last night delivery).

If the pick-up scenerio doesn't work for the consumer and is an inconvenience in packing or time or personal preference then it is up to the passenger to choose to forego purchasing liquor.

This is what is in your cruise contract: Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. - See more at: http://secure.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx#sthash.zwQX51Dn.dpuf

All that I can say is that if I purchase liquor to bring home, it WILL NOT be purchased from Carnival. I'll spend my $$ off the ship for liquor. This change in policy will directly inconvenience me and my traveling companions on the most hectic day of the cruise - debarkation day. This is a continuation of the decline in service aboard Carnival ships. I still have to explain to our traveling companions on our upcoming Valor cruise that after attending 5 Past Guest parties they are no longer invited.:mad:

Edited by BigDoug

All that I can say is that if I purchase liquor to bring home, it WILL NOT be purchased from Carnival. I'll spend my $$ off the ship for liquor. This change in policy will directly inconvenience me and my traveling companions on the most hectic day of the cruise - debarkation day. This is a continuation of the decline in service aboard Carnival ships. I still have to explain to our traveling companions on our upcoming Valor cruise that after attending 5 Past Guest parties they are no longer invited.:mad:

Same way I feel and will proceed forward in terms of where I buy. Carnival can and will do whatever they want, but I don't have to agree to it. And I won't be continuing to buy liquor on the ship to bring home. I also won't buy any of it from anywhere if I have to fly home. As far as I'm concerned, there is no justification, because if it was alcohol consumption alone that they were concerned with, they would stop all alcohol sales the last night. And that won't happen, because that would be ridiculous and stupid on their part. So let's half way be concerned and stop people from cracking open big bottles on the last night. :rolleyes: I maintain that the MAJORITY of those who purchased duty free were not doing that. Whatever. I also don't like the change to the past guest party. My sister who will be Gold on the Sunshine FINALLY - was actually looking forward to going. And before anyone jumps in with the sail another line if you don't like this or that, save it. Not really the point. You can love Carnival without being in agreement with every decision they make. Some of which is completely self serving and not at all in the best interest of their customers.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

You can love Carnival without being in agreement with every decision they make. Some of which is completely self serving and not at all in the best interest of their customers.

If I had any delusions about any business being in business mainly to "serve" their customers I would fail any course in basic economics. The best way Carnival can serve ME is to keep their fares low enough so that I can afford a cruise. I don't cruise to buy alcohol, or drink myself into oblivion, or to win a million bucks gambling, or to be treated like a princess. Purchasing a cruise fare is an expensive way to save a few bucks on a bottle or two of alcohol.

If I had any delusions about any business being in business mainly to "serve" their customers I would fail any course in basic economics. The best way Carnival can serve ME is to keep their fares low enough so that I can afford a cruise. I don't cruise to buy alcohol, or drink myself into oblivion, or to win a million bucks gambling, or to be treated like a princess. Purchasing a cruise fare is an expensive way to save a few bucks on a bottle or two of alcohol.

Well you and I have that in common. The reasons why we DON'T cruise that is. Thanks for sharing. There are alot of reasons why I cruise. Many reasons why I don't. Now back to the topic, buying liquor is something my husband and I have done since we started cruising. We bring it home to others. Some we keep for ourselves. It's not brought just to save a few bucks. Some of the stuff I can't find here. So it's fun to buy and bring it home to enjoy. To ME, having to pick up your purchases the day before is impractical - particularly for those who fly home. And I agreed with the poster I quoted in how I will proceed. Further, I don't need a an annotated lesson from you about economics. My point was that Carnival should stop masking this change as being made strictly in the interest of their customers safety, because THAT is disingenuous. Period.

Same way I feel and will proceed forward in terms of where I buy. Carnival can and will do whatever they want, but I don't have to agree to it. And I won't be continuing to buy liquor on the ship to bring home. I also won't buy any of it from anywhere if I have to fly home. As far as I'm concerned, there is no justification, because if it was alcohol consumption alone that they were concerned with, they would stop all alcohol sales the last night. And that won't happen, because that would be ridiculous and stupid on their part. So let's half way be concerned and stop people from cracking open big bottles on the last night. :rolleyes: I maintain that the MAJORITY of those who purchased duty free were not doing that. Whatever. I also don't like the change to the past guest party. My sister who will be Gold on the Sunshine FINALLY - was actually looking forward to going. And before anyone jumps in with the sail another line if you don't like this or that, save it. Not really the point. You can love Carnival without being in agreement with every decision they make. Some of which is completely self serving and not at all in the best interest of their customers.

Why does it have to be the most hectic day? Slow down, pick up your booze and leave:D Sorry your friends will miss the free booze at the party.

Why does it have to be the most hectic day? Slow down, pick up your booze and leave:D Sorry your friends will miss the free booze at the party.

Not all of us can be the last to leave the ship. Some of us have to catch an airplane. Retrieving liquor and repacking a suitcase(s) adds two more things to do on debarkation day. I guess that we can forget about using the Luggage Express service if you bought liquor unless you bring another bag to check in at the airport.