Haven't been on Carnival since 2008, has food changed?

Cruisegoer

Oh I know! I was really looking forward to my first Guy's burger last November after seeing everyone's pictures here. I wasn't expecting low fat of course, but the burger (on the Freedom) was soooo greasy that I could barely eat half. Since then, the thought of eating any burger anywhere has been a turnoff.

I'll take a roast beef sandwich from Park Cafe instead of a Guys burger anytime.:)

Bill

Yes, it has changed. But the food is still good. Not amazing, but good. If you are on a ship with 2.0 upgrades, there are more options on the lido deck than just the main line buffet. Actually, I think on our Conquest cruise after 2.0 upgrades, we did not eat at the main buffet but maybe once. We ate at the different stations (fish and chips, guys burger, pizza, blue iguana), but not the main offerings. Even on non 2.0 there are options, just not as varied. On Sea days there is a brunch, which is pretty good. Dining room food is good, not amazing but better than wedding (or other standard banquet) food.

I have sailed Disney and Celebrity in the past 1 1/2 years and still preferred Carnival's food. Celebrity was decent in Blu but not as good as Carnival MDR (IMO)- although the drink package helped with that. The buffet (with the exception of Sushi) was terrible. Disney's buffet was good, but the MDR food was so so.

Other people have different opinions but this is mine for what its worth.

1. No regular steaks on the menu, replaced with "flat iron"
  2. Nothing prepared at your table any more
  3. Lobster gone from anything less than 6 days
  4. They've tried to wow us with some weird stuff (alligator, frog legs, etc.)
  5. Shrimp cocktail was gone for a while (it's back)
  6. Nothing flambe' any more (fire concerns)
  7. Portion size is *way* down
  8. Bacon police on the Lido breakfast buffet
  9. # waiters per table gone way down, makes service long and frustrates waiters

As the previous posters have so eloquently put, it's banquet food, so it will never be like the best restaurant you've ever eaten in.

However, you can still order as many entrees as you wish, if you don't like something, they'll bring you something else, they still dance and sing during dinner service, waiters still work hard to please you.

Oh, and I forgot, the beloved fruit punch that many drink mixers loved is gone (despite John Heald claiming it was only removed temporarily).

I have never really been a fan of the food on Carnival. Saying that though I do love the tandoori that they have on the splendor. The dinner on the lido deck is far worse than any of the other four lines that I sail with. The best breakfast buffet by far IMO is on Princess. The blue iguana does have a few good selections if you are sailing on a ship that has it.

It's gone down a bit. I did get clams and mussels at Mongolian wok on Paradise 2 weeks ago. Beware Szechuan sauce! It's HOT! I've ended up making up my own concoctions on Lido.

Have to say I don't like the pizza at all--flatbread with no taste, almost no sauce and unknown thing they call cheese.

Had shrimp salad and roast beef sandwich from room service which was wonderful.

Most nights in MDR there is a fried shrimp, chicken, a fish dish and one other thing.

Guy's is great! Not all ships have one.

DOWN. Or I just eat better in real life now...

I didn't find portions small, expect on the apps, which were better.

Lido sucked. Desserts weren't that great. sigh. no lobster bisque. The pizza was poor quality. The pasta bella, not impressed. Mongolian Wok was good. bacon mac and cheese good, tomato soup good in brunch. so there were a few things, but overall, not impressed.

BUT the chicken wrap from room service was still Great!!

Those Lido deserts look scrumptious but most have little taste somehow. Good key lime pie. Lido lunch is mush. People load their plates like they'll never get food again. wish they'd have regular sausage every morning on Lido instead of the hot dog or Italian sausage. Bacon is limp and greasy. Hard boiled eggs are left too long on line and hard as heck--terrible!

I found the food to be good on Lido deck and fantastic in the dining rooms. We certainly didn't go hungry. My previous cruise was twenty years ago and I thought the dining room was the same and Lido slightly improved from then.

What did you have on Lido you liked?

Once a ship I travelled on a lot replaced the chef, the food was much, much better!